Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Saw this quote from Albert Einstein ....
"I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."

Was Albert correct, and has that day arrived?
Jul 26th 2014 new
kennethwongsf.blogspot.com

He'd have to actually say it before he could be wrong.
Jul 26th 2014 new

Have you seen "Idiocracy"? It is a 2006 movie that is great social satire. monkey

Jul 26th 2014 new
(quote) Christopher-1007273 said: http://kennethwongsf.blogspot.com/2013/04/einstein-dalai-lama-and-forgotten-art.html

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln
Jul 26th 2014 new
(quote) Adam-1049860 said: "The problem with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -Abraham Lincoln
"And don't get me started on those scams that try to get your credit card number"--Thomas Jefferson
Jul 26th 2014 new
(quote) Christopher-1007273 said: http://kennethwongsf.blogspot.com/2013/04/einstein-dalai-lama-and-forgotten-art.html

Let's say Albert Einstein never said that, but someone in 2007 did and pubilicixed the idea ...
I think it just might be very insightful. A local teacher told me her students, if forced to sit down to a group Dinner (and their mobile device taken away) would have great difficulty, or not be able, to have a social conversation.

Wonder if this helps explain why so many are unwilling to attend social events? As an example, check the Chicago Event scheduled the end of Aug 2014. She has gone thru a LOT of work to provide a venue in America's 3rd largest city w/ a large Catholic populatin and is not getting much of a response.
Jul 26th 2014 new
(quote) Bob-59786 said: Let's say Albert Einstein never said that, but someone in 2007 did and publicized the idea ...
I think it just might be very insightful. A local teacher told me her students, if forced to sit down to a group Dinner (and their mobile device taken away) would have great difficulty, or not be able, to have a social conversation.

Wonder if this helps explain why so many are unwilling to attend social events? As an example, check the Chicago Event scheduled the end of Aug 2014. She has gone thru a LOT of work to provide a venue in America's 3rd largest city w/ a large Catholic populatin and is not getting much of a response.
Corrections above ... I have one of the most unfriendly tablet keyboards ever designed ...
can't even correct spelling of population because tablet won't let me highlight that.
Jul 26th 2014 new
(quote) Bob-59786 said: Saw this quote from Albert Einstein ....
"I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."

Was Albert correct, and has that day arrived?

All right, Bob, we can stay with your premise. How about this from Thomas Sowell?

The march of science and technology does not imply growing intellectual complexity in the lives of most people. It often means the opposite.

Jul 26th 2014 new
(quote) Bob-59786 said: A local teacher told me her students, if forced to sit down to a group Dinner (and their mobile device taken away) would have great difficulty, or not be able, to have a social conversation.
Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but whenever someone picks up their phone (places it on the table, texts back, takes a call) at a dinner or in my company, I find it very rude. If you want to spend some time with another human being, if there isn't anything very important going on (like a family member in hospital), why bring the phone everywhere you go?
I'm really annoyed by the over usage of mobile phones. It's not fun being around zombies.
Jul 26th 2014 new
(quote) Carol-1007500 said:

All right, Bob, we can stay with your premise. How about this from Thomas Sowell?

The march of science and technology does not imply growing intellectual complexity in the lives of most people. It often means the opposite.

Complexity, as in making things worse or esoteric?

When I taught College, KISS was taught ... Keep It Simple Stupid. When I was in HS, kids would try to use language, words others were unlikely to know, on others so they could "snow them". Snow them it did, it had a tendency to freeze any more conversation.
Posts 1 - 10 of 87