Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

This is from a recent piece about how different parts of the United States are happier than others; I am curious as to how our own opinions about our own areas coincide with the authors' findings.

Happiness is not equally distributed across the United States.

A recent National Bureau of Economic Research working paper by Harvard economics professor Edward Glaeser, University of British Columbia economics professor Joshua Gottlieb, and Harvard graduate student Oren Ziv tracks how people's self-perceived happiness varies among American cities.

The researchers used data from the CDC's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, an extensive survey coordinated by the CDC that tracks health behaviors and risk factors. One of the questions on the survey asks respondents how satisfied they are with their lives, with the four options of "very dissatisfied", "unsatisfied", "satisfied", and "very satisfied". This survey data is frequently viewed as an approximate measure of self-reported well being, or how happy people feel about their lives.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com
Jul 26th new
(quote) William-607613 said: This is from a recent piece about how different parts of the United States are happier than others; I am curious as to how our own opinions about our own areas coincide with the authors' findings.

A recent National Bureau of Economic Research working paper by Harvard economics professor Edward Glaeser, University of British Columbia economics professor Joshua Gottlieb, and Harvard graduate student Oren Ziv tracks how people's self-perceived happiness varies among American cities.

The researchers used data from the CDC's Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, an extensive survey coordinated by the CDC that tracks health behaviors and risk factors. One of the questions on the survey asks respondents how satisfied they are with their lives, with the four options of "very dissatisfied", "unsatisfied", "satisfied", and "very satisfied". This survey data is frequently viewed as an approximate measure of self-reported well being, or how happy people feel about their lives.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/nber-unhappy-cities-paper-2014-7#ixzz38bSxHMD3
Well, First I don't take a lot of stock in postulation of happiness index by economists, and secondly I do not see the risk behaviour survey as an accurate corollary.
Jul 26th new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: Well, First I don't take a lot of stock in postulation of happiness index by economists, and secondly I do not see the risk behaviour survey as an accurate corollary.
But that's why I'm asking for feedback from the members, Charles.

Do you see yourself as happy or unhappy in Sapulpa, Oklahoma?
Jul 26th new
(quote) William-607613 said: This is from a recent piece about how different parts of the United States are happier than others; I am curious as to how our own opinions about our own areas coincide with the authors' findings.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/nber-unhappy-cities-paper-2014-7#ixzz38bSxHMD3
It's not 100%, but it seems to correspond somewhat to repub vs democract controlled areas. Am I just seeing things?
Jul 26th new

Well happy is rather ambiguous term at best and I feel that people who say they are unhappy and move somewhere else because it will make them "happier" are deluding themselves. Happiness is state of mind and unless you are living in some very adverse conditions, Your locale should not be the biggest factor. That being said, I would say all things considered . Being widowed , for example, I would say yes. it is where I grew up, I have many friends, The area has a lot of outdoor recreation and is a relatively safe , friendly community, And the cost of living is rather low.
Jul 26th new
We are happy here in LA because of our faith, friendliness, food, fun, sports, and warm climate :))
Jul 26th new
It looks economic to me. Areas where the economy has picked up look happier.

I'm pretty happy here in SoCal but it looks like I'm in the minority.
Jul 26th new
(quote) Kayla-549130 said: We are happy here in LA because of our faith, friendliness, food, fun, sports, and warm climate :))
But you have alligators as well.

Who could be happy with alligators around? wink
Jul 26th new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: It's not 100%, but it seems to correspond somewhat to repub vs democract controlled areas. Am I just seeing things?
I think the republican vs democrat-controlled areas come pretty close to rural / urban areas, so I'm not sure if it's a political issue or a quality of life issue (although I would tend to believe it's a quality of life issue).

Looking at the NE corner of the map, I am trying to figure out what it is about that one corner of Vermont that abuts NY and Quebec, and what makes them so happy over everyone else around them.
Jul 26th new
(quote) William-607613 said: But you have alligators as well.

Who could be happy with alligators around?
Alligator sauce picante....mmmm ;) Susan, you are correct in the economic assumption. We have a very strong economy here.
Posts 1 - 10 of 50