Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Holy observance of Sunday

Jul 27th 2014 new
In Nov. 1851, the Holy See approved the apparition of Our Lady of LaSalette in which our lady appeared to two cowherders crying on the eve of the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows in 1846.

Some of our lady's words:

"If my people do not wish to submit themselves, I am forced to let go off the hand of my Son. It is so heavy and weighs me down so much I can no longer keep hold of it.

I have suffered all of the time for the rest of you! If I do not wish my Son to abandon you, I must take it upon myself to pray for this continually. And the rest of you think little of this. In vain you will pray, in vain you will act, you will never be able to make up for the troubles I have taken over for the rest of you.

I gave you six days to work, I kept the seventh for myself, and no one wishes to grant it to me. This is what weighs down the arm of my Son so much.

Those who drive carts cannot speak without putting the name of my Son in the middle.

These are the two things which weigh down the arm of my Son so much. If the harvest is spoiled, it is only because of the rest of you. I made you see this last year with the potatoes, you took little account of this. It was quite the opposite when you found bad potatoes, you swore oaths, and you included the name of my Son. They will continue to go bad, at Christmas there will be none left."

AS i can ascertain, the message is for us to keep the Lord's day holy and to not take the name of the Lord in vain.

A bishop says of the message: "In fine, as the principal end of the Apparition is to recall Christians to the fulfillment of their religious duties, to frequent the divine worship, His Church, to a horror of blasphemy, and to the sanctification of the Sunday, we conjure you, our very dear brethren, with a view of your heavenly, and even of your earthly interests, to enter seriously into your selves to do penance for your sins, and especially for those against the second and third commandments of God. We conjure you, our well-beloved brethren, be docile under the voice of Mary who calls you to penance, and who, on the part of Her Son, threatens you with spiritual and temporal evils, if remaining insensible to Her Maternal admonition, you harden your heart."

[Signed]
"PHILIBERT, Bishop of Grenoble."

In light of the Faith itself and this message...I personally believe and practice keeping sunday holy. To me this means Mass ofcourse...but also keeping the day restful and Holy as well. I believe this means we are not to do any unnecessary shopping nor support others working on sunday threw such shopping. I believe too this includes going out to eat. I will purchase gas with my bank card or medicine/ medical supplies if anunexpected event/sickness occurs. I also believe we still need necessary services such as fire and police...but other then that...i think all other people should refrain from work and most businesses should be shut down.
Any thoughts on this...i have been accused of acting a bit like a Pharisee here...but i adamently disagree with that. I know this can be a bit trying for some families...especially large ones...but i believe whole heartedly ....we should refrain from work (including work around the house...like mowing the yard, etc.) and shopping on the Lord's day. OUr lady of la salette's message seems to support this. I know of only one encyclical "sacred rest" that addresses this issue in any way, however the details of which we must contend with here presently in america are not addressed.
Any thoughts.....

Jul 27th 2014 new
(quote) Jillian-1014035 said: In Nov. 1851, the Holy See approved the apparition of Our Lady of LaSalette in which our lady appeared to two cowherders crying on the eve of the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows in 1846.

"If my people do not wish to submit themselves, I am forced to let go off the hand of my Son. It is so heavy and weighs me down so much I can no longer keep hold of it.

I have suffered all of the time for the rest of you! If I do not wish my Son to abandon you, I must take it upon myself to pray for this continually. And the rest of you think little of this. In vain you will pray, in vain you will act, you will never be able to make up for the troubles I have taken over for the rest of you.

I gave you six days to work, I kept the seventh for myself, and no one wishes to grant it to me. This is what weighs down the arm of my Son so much.

Those who drive carts cannot speak without putting the name of my Son in the middle.

These are the two things which weigh down the arm of my Son so much. If the harvest is spoiled, it is only because of the rest of you. I made you see this last year with the potatoes, you took little account of this. It was quite the opposite when you found bad potatoes, you swore oaths, and you included the name of my Son. They will continue to go bad, at Christmas there will be none left."

AS i can ascertain, the message is for us to keep the Lord's day holy and to not take the name of the Lord in vain.

A bishop says of the message: "In fine, as the principal end of the Apparition is to recall Christians to the fulfillment of their religious duties, to frequent the divine worship, His Church, to a horror of blasphemy, and to the sanctification of the Sunday, we conjure you, our very dear brethren, with a view of your heavenly, and even of your earthly interests, to enter seriously into your selves to do penance for your sins, and especially for those against the second and third commandments of God. We conjure you, our well-beloved brethren, be docile under the voice of Mary who calls you to penance, and who, on the part of Her Son, threatens you with spiritual and temporal evils, if remaining insensible to Her Maternal admonition, you harden your heart."

[Signed]

In light of the Faith itself and this message...I personally believe and practice keeping sunday holy. To me this means Mass ofcourse...but also keeping the day restful and Holy as well. I believe this means we are not to do any unnecessary shopping nor support others working on sunday threw such shopping. I believe too this includes going out to eat. I will purchase gas with my bank card or medicine/ medical supplies if anunexpected event/sickness occurs. I also believe we still need necessary services such as fire and police...but other then that...i think all other people should refrain from work and most businesses should be shut down.
Any thoughts on this...i have been accused of acting a bit like a Pharisee here...but i adamently disagree with that. I know this can be a bit trying for some families...especially large ones...but i believe whole heartedly ....we should refrain from work (including work around the house...like mowing the yard, etc.) and shopping on the Lord's day. OUr lady of la salette's message seems to support this. I know of only one encyclical "sacred rest" that addresses this issue in any way, however the details of which we must contend with here presently in america are not addressed.
Any thoughts.....

I agree that Sunday is to be a day of rest. I just got gas, as I wasn't thinking, but unnecessary shopping I try not to do. A priest I went to for confession said if mowing the lawn is recreation for him, so he didn't think anything of it. Since I have an apartment I don't mow the lawn. I don't know where I come down on that one. But a day of rest it is supposed to be. It's a commandment I am sure I fall short of but I try to keep. If it weren't for the Sacrament of Reconciliation I'd be hopeless! I think we all would be.
Jul 27th 2014 new
(quote) Jillian-1014035 said: In Nov. 1851, the Holy See approved the apparition of Our Lady of LaSalette in which our lady appeared to two cowherders crying on the eve of the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows in 1846.

[Signed]

Any thoughts.....

LaSalette, as you no doubt know, is one of the least popular & least well-known of Our Lady's approved apparitions. As you so well point out the message, though seemingly very specifically meant for a particular people & time, can be applied practically universally. Unfortunately most of us who work in certain fields are usually going to work on Sundays, at least part of the time. With a very few exceptions I have had to work Sundays my entire adult life. I usually manage to get to Mass & maintain my daily prayer schedule, though of course adapted to circumstances, but have come to accept the reality I live. Certainly there are plenty of jobs which don't require Sunday work, but I haven't had much luck in finding them. I don't think you're a Pharisee, but you won't get much support from most people, Catholics included, just because. I laud your efforts, but you know how lonely such a position is & probably will continue to be.
Jul 28th 2014 new
(quote) Myrton-1093185 said: LaSalette, as you no doubt know, is one of the least popular & least well-known of Our Lady's approved apparitions. As you so well point out the message, though seemingly very specifically meant for a particular people & time, can be applied practically universally. Unfortunately most of us who work in certain fields are usually going to work on Sundays, at least part of the time. With a very few exceptions I have had to work Sundays my entire adult life. I usually manage to get to Mass & maintain my daily prayer schedule, though of course adapted to circumstances, but have come to accept the reality I live. Certainly there are plenty of jobs which don't require Sunday work, but I haven't had much luck in finding them. I don't think you're a Pharisee, but you won't get much support from most people, Catholics included, just because. I laud your efforts, but you know how lonely such a position is & probably will continue to be.
Yes it's a lonely position.....as so often is the situation with anyone these days trying to live the fullness of the Faith. ..which I guess is part of the reason I have been on this site for years. Too many don't want to hear or accept the truth...afraid to lose something, not wanting to give up their sins, doubting the existence of God as well.....when thereality is....they should be afraid to not strive on the narrow road....people need to know true joy is only found in a life of letting go....and embracing only the commandments of God....it is in then ...found the life of Love....true living.

I find it encouraging to hear of people standing up for their right to not work on Sunday. I believe this message is important and relative to our times...along with Lourdes. I think as others have pointed out it is none other then the call to individual holiness....to simply ..just live the Faith we proclaim.
Jul 28th 2014 new
(quote) Jim-13836 said: I agree that Sunday is to be a day of rest. I just got gas, as I wasn't thinking, but unnecessary shopping I try not to do. A priest I went to for confession said if mowing the lawn is recreation for him, so he didn't think anything of it. Since I have an apartment I don't mow the lawn. I don't know where I come down on that one. But a day of rest it is supposed to be. It's a commandment I am sure I fall short of but I try to keep. If it weren't for the Sacrament of Reconciliation I'd be hopeless! I think we all would be.
Glad to get some agreement.....
without reconcilliation....indeed we are all on need of forgiveness I agree....but I too believe individual holiness is possible, with the spirit...in our little lives....it is a battle....sometimes more then others....it is possible to live the Faith.....yes we are all too inconsistent....we all fall short....but this can keep us humble...I think it is more important where our heart is...is it all turned to God..are we striving on the narrow road....do,we get up when we fall....

i read recently a publication on Fatima that said basically the call of Fatima is to pick up our daily crosses....in other words....the motto of my life ....Live the Faith we proclaim...The best we can....it said basically that God wants us to fulfill our daily duties....

"...not all men need to perform heroic sacrifices as did the children of Fatima; but all men must fulfill their daily duties in life. And because these duties are often times hard and burdensome , they become works of penance and sacrifice. " the sacrifice required of every person is the fulfillment of his daily duties in life and the observance of My Law.mthis is the penance that I know seek and require" in the gospel, our Lord speaks of this as man' "daily cross."if any man will come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his daily cross daily, and follow me ( Luke 9:23") from the true story of fatima

There it is.....the narrow road proclaimed in two recent apparitions......two big ones.....let us all just submit
Aug 4th 2014 new
(quote) Jillian-1014035 said: Yes it's a lonely position.....as so often is the situation with anyone these days trying to live the fullness of the Faith. ..which I guess is part of the reason I have been on this site for years. Too many don't want to hear or accept the truth...afraid to lose something, not wanting to give up their sins, doubting the existence of God as well.....when thereality is....they should be afraid to not strive on the narrow road....people need to know true joy is only found in a life of letting go....and embracing only the commandments of God....it is in then ...found the life of Love....true living.

I find it encouraging to hear of people standing up for their right to not work on Sunday. I believe this message is important and relative to our times...along with Lourdes. I think as others have pointed out it is none other then the call to individual holiness....to simply ..just live the Faith we proclaim.
Today's Vortex from ChurchMilitant.tv addresses this very well:
youtu.be

Aug 13th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Today's Vortex from ChurchMilitant.tv addresses this very well:
http://youtu.be/GrEg4K-E-HU

Thanks for sharing...and perfect timing. I was just called cruel and offensive by a childhoold friend for standing up for the truth/Chruch teaching nicely, again ...as well as judgemental.
Posts 1 - 7 of 7