Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Several times when guys have asked me if I'd like to Skype, and I've said that I'd rather talk on the phone, if that's all right, I've been cut dead immediately. Is not wanting to video -chat a deal-breaker? I really just hate doing it. It's slow, awkward, and for me a truly unpleasant way of communicating. Perhaps they think I'm trying to hide how I look? But really I look like my photograph. What do you guys think?
Aug 1st 2014 new
(quote) Jean-504066 said: Several times when guys have asked me if I'd like to Skype, and I've said that I'd rather talk on the phone, if that's all right, I've been cut dead immediately. Is not wanting to video -chat a deal-breaker? I really just hate doing it. It's slow, awkward, and for me a truly unpleasant way of communicating. Perhaps they think I'm trying to hide how I look? But really I look like my photograph. What do you guys think?
Suggestion:

Create a separate Skype account for CM (and other similar sites), and use that for audio Skype only. If things don't work out, you don't have to worry about them having your phone number or main Skype ID.
Aug 1st 2014 new
Jean,
I feel the same way as you. I'd rather talk on the phone. Maybe once I was more comfortable with the person we could move to Skype but not right off the bat. If a man dismisses me because of it, then he isn't worth the time to begin with, IMHO.
Aug 1st 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Suggestion:

Create a separate Skype account for CM (and other similar sites), and use that for audio Skype only. If things don't work out, you don't have to worry about them having your phone number or main Skype ID.
That's all right, Jerry. I've never had a problem with anyone obsessively calling me and is very easy to block people on my phone. Thank you though.
Aug 1st 2014 new
What do you find slow and awkward about it? I understand the internet connection can be wonky at times but I think it's great to see the person you're talking to. I wouldn't start off right away with Skype but if a woman said no to it, I would find it a bit odd.
Aug 1st 2014 new
(quote) Susie-550311 said: Jean,
I feel the same way as you. I'd rather talk on the phone. Maybe once I was more comfortable with the person we could move to Skype but not right off the bat. If a man dismisses me because of it, then he isn't worth the time to begin with, IMHO.
Good to know I'm not alone, Susie. I actually don't even Skype with family because I dislike it so much. But I don't want to ruin my chances on here. Talking on the phone is more comfortable for me too though.
Aug 1st 2014 new
(quote) Kaj-392356 said: What do you find slow and awkward about it? I understand the internet connection can be wonky at times but I think it's great to see the person you're talking to. I wouldn't start off right away with Skype but if a woman said no to it, I would find it a bit odd.
The picture is generally choppy in my experience and the conversations awkward and shallow. Plus I can talk on the phone and not be stuck at my computer. It's great we have all this technology but I often think we were better off without things like Skype and Facebook. Letters are a million times better than all of this Internet communication-- much deeper, much more telling, much more fun, and much less "throw-away."
Aug 1st 2014 new
(quote) Jean-504066 said: Several times when guys have asked me if I'd like to Skype, and I've said that I'd rather talk on the phone, if that's all right, I've been cut dead immediately. Is not wanting to video -chat a deal-breaker? I really just hate doing it. It's slow, awkward, and for me a truly unpleasant way of communicating. Perhaps they think I'm trying to hide how I look? But really I look like my photograph. What do you guys think?

Nah, that's not a deal-breaker at all, at least not for me. Actually, I think it's kind of weird to want to Skype right away. (Perhaps these guys are part of the culture that has to have something that is constantly glowing in their face.) Skyping would be another level in a relationship that, if starting on here, begins with emails, to IM chatting, and then texting/calling. Skype would be next, if it's natural to continue.

It would be
Unnatural to Skype without first talking on the phone. Some people have no patience.... rolling eyes
Aug 1st 2014 new
But even phone conversations go a lot smoother than video-chatting. I realize some people must enjoy it, but I confess I can't see why. I'd rather just talk to the person on the phone and look at a picture if I wanted to see them too.
Aug 1st 2014 new
(quote) Jean-504066 said: That's all right, Jerry. I've never had a problem with anyone obsessively calling me and is very easy to block people on my phone. Thank you though.
Onet hing to keep in mind is that call blocking by the phone will be based on the number delivered by the caller ID, which can be blocked or spoofed. Google Voice is free, gives you a second number that works in parallel with your existing phone number, and can be easily changed.

Posts 1 - 10 of 150