Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

In my experience, I have move several times in my lifetime. Not a military family and yet we are gypsies never staying in one place for a long time. What is your experience? Have you moved and stayed in one place for a long time?

Robert

Aug 2nd new
(quote) Robert-863708 said:

In my experience, I have move several times in my lifetime. Not a military family and yet we are gypsies never staying in one place for a long time. What is your experience? Have you moved and stayed in one place for a long time?

Robert

If you call staying in the same area for nearly 63 years, with the exception of six months just after college.A long time, Then yes, I have stayed in one place(area) a long time.
Aug 2nd new

Charles,

We set a record with 15 years in one place. Wow in our family moving is expected and anticipated. Of course, we are not rich people but we find the money to move. My mom is not going to move expect across the street to the cemetery according to her. Me I see another move in my future. Staying in one place for more than 50 is almost unthinkable to my dad's family, but mom's family is more into staying put. Charles, think you will move?mischievous

Robert

Aug 2nd new
(quote) Robert-863708 said:

Charles,

We set a record with 15 years in one place. Wow in our family moving is expected and anticipated. Of course, we are not rich people but we find the money to move. My mom is not going to move expect across the street to the cemetery according to her. Me I see another move in my future. Staying in one place for more than 50 is almost unthinkable to my dad's family, but mom's family is more into staying put. Charles, think you will move?

Robert

At this juncture, Probably not. I am heavily invested in the community, my Church ,
My business, and my family .But I learned a long time ago, Never say never. Interestingly enough, My wife had grown up with her dad in the Air Force and never lived anywhere very long, moving around the world Until we got married. Her Dad wound up staying in Oklahoma, which he said he would never do.
When I graduated from High school, I spent that summer in Midland Texas working and living with my Sis and brother in law. I almost stayed down there but decided to come back home to go to school. Then when I got out of college, I landed a job in Garland Texas, where I had planned on staying, However , My Mother called me to say my Father was gravely ill(which I subsequently found out he was not), I transferred and moved back to Oklahoma.
When we were first married, My wife and I discussed moving to Toronto,Ontario. Also, recently, My Sis wanted me to come down to where she lives in Texas and start a business venture, But at this time, I respectfully declined.I suppose some people love to wander and others are homebodies,either by choice or fate.

Aug 2nd new
On one side of the family there was a move of about 3,250 miles. That was, let's see, about four generations ago. On the other side of the family, one of my grandmothers moved 3,350 miles at age 8 and then just a hop skip & a jump across the Canada/US border when she was 25-ish. Other than those big moves, most of the family has stayed fairly local with only the occasional job related transplant.
Aug 2nd new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: But I learned a long time ago, Never say never. 
Yes I also learned this lesson, to never say never, shortly after graduating from college. I remember in my senior year of college, as we were all starting to look for jobs, I said to someone that I would never work for the government..... Then six months after graduating I accepted a job working as a civilian aerospace engineer working for the U.S. Navy in California. >>> Never say never. I haven't since that experience.

Ed
Aug 2nd new
(quote) ED-20630 said: Yes I also learned this lesson, to never say never, shortly after graduating from college. I remember in my senior year of college, as we were all starting to look for jobs, I said to someone that I would never work for the government..... Then six months after graduating I accepted a job working as a civilian aerospace engineer working for the U.S. Navy in California. >>> Never say never. I haven't since that experience.

Ed
I agree with you about the statement " never say never"! When I was in my early twenties I said, I would never live in Detroit, and never teach middle school. Well I have done both and actually didn't want to leave Detroit ( auto industry) for Texas ( oil ).

In May when A Catholic Seminary/ Seminary in CT showed some interest in me teaching English to Vietnamese priests, I said I am not leaving Bethlehem, NH. However by late August I am moving to CT for this position and others! So never say never! God has a sense of humor!
Aug 2nd new

I was born in New York, raised in California, lived in Washington state, Maryland, and Germany over the next three years, followed by 8 years in Texas, 18 years (4 homes) back in Calfornia, and now 7 years in Maine.

I'll go anywhere.

Aug 2nd new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

I was born in New York, raised in California, lived in Washington state, Maryland, and Germany over the next three years, followed by 8 years in Texas, 18 years (4 homes) back in Calfornia, and now 7 years in Maine.

I'll go anywhere.

Now, saying .... "I'll go anywhere" seems at least as risky as saying "I'll never..." .

Hmmmm. How about Guam, Iraq, Timbuktu (in Mali, Africa), Antarctica, Nome, Prudoe Bay (AK), Greenland, Marshall Islands (in South Pacific)....

Ed

Aug 2nd new
(quote) ED-20630 said: Now, saying .... "I'll go anywhere" seems at least as risky as saying "I'll never..." .

Hmmmm. How about Guam, Iraq, Timbuktu (in Mali, Africa), Antarctica, Nome, Prudoe Bay (AK), Greenland, Marshall Islands (in South Pacific)....

Ed

Or horror of horrors,Washington D.C. laughing
Posts 1 - 10 of 15