Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

"How I would like a Church which is poor and for the poor!"
~ Pope Francis
tinyurl.com
Aug 3rd new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: "How I would like a Church which is poor and for the poor!"
~ Pope Francishttp://tinyurl.com/m8kz4p9
Those are some beautiful houses.
Aug 3rd new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: "How I would like a Church which is poor and for the poor!"
My only objection to the article is not the point it makes about lavish homes.

But using the million dollar home criteria is misleading. Depending on location, a million dollar home might be nothing more than a modest place. San Francisco being a prime example.

I used to own a modest 3 bedroom home on an Island in Puget Sound. I owed the tide lands as well.

My dream was always that some Bay area resident, who did not do his homework, would come along and offer me a Bay area price for the property, as in multiple millions. When I did sell I did fine but did not get anywhere near a Bay area price for it.
Aug 3rd new
Our bishop had a nice home that was donated to the diocese in1938. No property taxes. No problem.
Aug 4th new
Our Bishop lives on property that house several diocesan offices. New, But certainly not extravagant.
Aug 4th new
Of the residences of bishops
by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf

CNN has posted what an only be called a cheap shot at American bishops.

This is yellow journalism.

The story is about the lavish residences of some bishops.

The piece starts out with an rookie or rather unprofessional error . . .

Read more here:
wdtprs.com

Aug 4th new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: My only objection to the article is not the point it makes about lavish homes.

But using the million dollar home criteria is misleading. Depending on location, a million dollar home might be nothing more than a modest place. San Francisco being a prime example.

I used to own a modest 3 bedroom home on an Island in Puget Sound. I owed the tide lands as well.

My dream was always that some Bay area resident, who did not do his homework, would come along and offer me a Bay area price for the property, as in multiple millions. When I did sell I did fine but did not get anywhere near a Bay area price for it.

Yes, $1 million doesn't go very far in San Francisco. It will get you in on the near-bottom rung of a 90-100 year old modest single family house.

A current sampling of the San Francisco homes for "slightly" over $1 million.

www.zillow.com

$1.05 million

1400 square feet

Built in 1926

2 bed / 1 bath

www.zillow.com

$1,099,000

1600 square feet

Built in 1914

3 bed / 2 bath

www.zillow.com

$1.2 million

1270 square feet

Built in 1925

1 bathroom

$998,000

Built in 1908

------------------------------------

Ed

Aug 5th new
Rebuttal from CatholicVote.org to the CNN article:
www.catholicvote.org
Aug 5th new
The worst example was the German Bishop who spent 43 million dollars on a remodel. He was sent off on retreat, and later reassigned. He is the one who really did not get the memo, not the bishop who lives in the same house that the previous three bishops lived in.

I agree that a million dollar house is not that much, depending on where you live. Where I live, a million dollar house is not that impressive, although it is probably pretty nice.

I don't know what to suggest when the bishop lives in a historical building that the bishops have used for 100 years. Yes, it might be worth a lot of money, but it is not like the bishop spent that money himself. Some might criticize him if he did sell a building with that much history of the local church.
Aug 5th new
(quote) Edward-4511 said: Rebuttal from CatholicVote.org to the CNN article:
http://www.catholicvote.org/seven-ways-cnn-gets-it-wrong-on-bishops-residences/
Actually, the article made several errors of its own..

The easiest to spot and most egregious, is the statement that Saint Francis took Holy Orders. He was never ordained and remained a mere Brother in the order he founded.

Although it is true that Most Diocese in the US are Corporations. But most of those are Corporation Soul entities. Technically, the Corporation belongs to the Bishop alone. In the grand scheme of things, that may have little meaning.

But defending Bishops with misinformation, opens both the defender who uses bad info and the Church to further abuse and attack.
Posts 1 - 10 of 54