Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Surviving without technology

Aug 4th 2014 new
Technology is a great tool- BUT I believe that all children at age 14-15 should be taught to survive without it.
My neighbor is a science teacher at a local high school and we talk about her kids and she agreed that most of the students would be totally lost if they lost their computers, smart phones and other devices that they have become dependent on for normal life.
I suggested a week without using them to her as an assignment and she laughed and said- Most would get an F for not even bothering to try it.
Our schools should add a special survivor class to Phys-Ed and teach the kids how to make fire, find food,communicate without a device and live in the woods.
If some terrible disaster happens and we loose the grid and the WIFI all goes away it will take a very long time to teach people how to live without technology.
Any thoughts on this??
Aug 4th 2014 new
We have just such a program here in upstate NY. It's called an ice storm.
Aug 4th 2014 new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: We have just such a program here in upstate NY. It's called an ice storm.
Good one!!!! clap laughing laughing
Aug 4th 2014 new
(quote) Joan-1116273 said: Technology is a great tool- BUT I believe that all children at age 14-15 should be taught to survive without it.
My neighbor is a science teacher at a local high school and we talk about her kids and she agreed that most of the students would be totally lost if they lost their computers, smart phones and other devices that they have become dependent on for normal life.
I suggested a week without using them to her as an assignment and she laughed and said- Most would get an F for not even bothering to try it.
Our schools should add a special survivor class to Phys-Ed and teach the kids how to make fire, find food,communicate without a device and live in the woods.
If some terrible disaster happens and we loose the grid and the WIFI all goes away it will take a very long time to teach people how to live without technology.
Any thoughts on this??
very warm welcome to Fora/OP Joan wave smile

very good OP, bc we don't have to know the compass to survive and being born w/electronic the brain lacks the process to think clearly IRL .... unless your in the boys scout or girl scout crossfingers ...... when was the last time you read a map and have to figure out to get to a destination, i.e. life hug ...........
Aug 5th 2014 new

Right on, sistah! Preach it!

A young lady (28) told me this story last year: "My sister is 20 and visited in our home for a week. Most of her time was spent texting or surfing. She didn't want to go anywhere and hardly spoke to us, even though she was a houseguest. A month or so later, my husband's sister, who is 20, visited. She was talkative at dinner, excited about going sight-seeing with us, told us all about herself, asked about our home....
I hate my sister."

Aug 5th 2014 new
A fantastic idea!!!! A better follow up question would be, what would the activities of the class entail? You had some very good suggestions. What I would suggest is that at the beginning of the class, the parents of the kids attend the class where ALL students turn into the teacher their electronic devices to be locked up in a safe for an agreed to amount of time AND that the parents and kids agree that NO student is to gain access to an alternative electronic device during the agreed to time frame of the exercise from ANYONE. Just begin to live your life WITHOUT these devices and take notes on how you cope with the adjustment. At the end of the timeframe have each student prepare a report on their experience and prepare a presentation to the class on the report IN PERSON without electronic devices to the class. When all students are done, the teacher grades the reports and presentations and unlocks the safe and returns the devices to each student. That is my first brush on the idea.

Aug 5th 2014 new
(quote) Joan-1116273 said: If some terrible disaster happens and we loose the grid and the WIFI all goes away it will take a very long time to teach people how to live without technology.

I agree,,, although i don't think we'll see an Entire loss of "the grid".. but possibly several States at a time, similar to when NY, NJ, PA and several other States lost power a few years back. It will be Interesting! scratchchin wink
Aug 5th 2014 new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: We have just such a program here in upstate NY. It's called an ice storm.
Same here in Oklahoma.
Aug 5th 2014 new
(quote) Dave-146273 said: I agree,,, although i don't think we'll see an Entire loss of "the grid".. but possibly several States at a time, similar to when NY, NJ, PA and several other States lost power a few years back. It will be Interesting!
Actually the way more and more states are being integrated with smart technology and the fact that our grid is nowhere near being secure for either terrorism or CMEs, We could conceivably lose a good part of the nation and with the right CME event , Perhaps all.
Aug 5th 2014 new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: Actually the way more and more states are being integrated with smart technology and the fact that our grid is nowhere near being secure for either terrorism or CMEs, We could conceivably lose a good part of the nation and with the right CME event , Perhaps all.
CME = sunspots / solar storm? Not Chicago Mercantile Exchange.
I'm tellin' you, Charles, not everyone here can follow the alphabet soup... and I'm getting tired of feeling stoopid
Posts 1 - 10 of 16