Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I was reading another post that set off a long discussion on the merits of a woman's beauty, and each side had an opinion. The women were mostly of the belief that they aren't as beautiful as the man says (which isn't really true, but wow is it hard to convince ourselves of), and the men were almost all stating that women are the most beautiful creation on God's earth. Now, the thought that arose in my mind was that in reading some guy's profiles where they mention the lady they are looking for they often have something along the lines of "I want her to be in shape" which is usually preceded by a comment that says they don't care what they look like. (I don't know if this is limited to people in my age range, and I don't mean to put anyone in a box. Not everyone does this.) Basically my question is this... to me, being in shape means the same as having a "idealized" body, and so then I ask you gentlemen (and ladies too if you have an opinion), what exactly do you mean?
Aug 4th 2014 new

I can try to answer this. Though I don't recall ever asking directly, exercising is of interest to me. Firstly, it is a common interest. I want a partner who enjoys hiking. For someone else that may be biking or swimming. Secondly, a partner who works at looking good is attractive. Most women pay lots of attention to hair, makeup, clothes, shoes :-) To me, it is even more attractive if a woman looks good wearing plain clothes with little or no makeup. Finally, there are emotional and psychological advantages to exercising. It is a good way to clear your head. Jogging is a good time for self reflection and prayer. And pushing your self and showing commitment are attractive traits.

I hope that helps though I can not speak for every guy.

Aug 4th 2014 new
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I actually find women with a little bit of weight on them to be even more attractive than really thin and/or athletic women. The shape of her body has a bigger impact on attractiveness for me than whether she's thin or not. There does come a point where too much weight (i.e. obesity) begins to strip away that attractiveness though. Plus, there are health concerns beyond a certain point as well.
Aug 4th 2014 new
I know exactly what you mean Angela. It's become less lately, but I used to come across many profiles that stated they wanted someone who was pretty, beautiful, in shape, attractive... or however else they wrote it. A few even specified they wanted a certain eye and hair color. I can completely understand wanting someone who has the same activity level as you, or likes to work out. But I always skip over the profiles that state they want someone attractive. I think it's vain to write that, and makes me feel as if I might not meet their looks criteria...not that I'd want to if that's all they care about. eyebrow Battling eyelashes
Aug 4th 2014 new
(quote) Amber-1078229 said: I can completely understand wanting someone who has the same activity level as you, or likes to work out. 
please explain to me "why" when i go to the gym I have not seen couples working together or running, etc... kids w/dad or mom, but hardly couples .... either I'm at the wrong pit stop or maybe their all singles .... I'm totally clueless ........ clearly I must be hanging out at the wrong time or place ..... then maybe we can blame the work schedule or something like that ........ hug scratchchin
Aug 4th 2014 new
(quote) Amber-1078229 said: I know exactly what you mean Angela. It's become less lately, but I used to come across many profiles that stated they wanted someone who was pretty, beautiful, in shape, attractive... or however else they wrote it. A few even specified they wanted a certain eye and hair color. I can completely understand wanting someone who has the same activity level as you, or likes to work out. But I always skip over the profiles that state they want someone attractive. I think it's vain to write that, and makes me feel as if I might not meet their looks criteria...not that I'd want to if that's all they care about.
If they stated they want someone ugly, would any of us respond?
Aug 4th 2014 new
(quote) Genie-920495 said: please explain to me "why" when i go to the gym I have not seen couples working together or running, etc... kids w/dad or mom, but hardly couples .... either I'm at the wrong pit stop or maybe their all singles .... I'm totally clueless ........ clearly I must be hanging out at the wrong time or place ..... then maybe we can blame the work schedule or something like that ........
I don't think the gym is where'd you find couples working out. I picture it more about someone wanting a significant other who is in shape enough to go on the hikes and outdoor adventures like that. If you're outdoorsy, you're probably going to want someone else who is as well, and can keep up with you.
Aug 4th 2014 new
(quote) Meg-920823 said: If they stated they want someone ugly, would any of us respond?
Doubtful laughing
But why put anything about beauty in the first place? scratchchin
Aug 4th 2014 new
(quote) Amber-1078229 said: Doubtful
But why put anything about beauty in the first place?
Yes, that was indirectly my point, I think. laughing Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and we hope they like our appearance when they meet us. Who are we ( us ladies) to decide whether we are beautiful to Man A, B. or C? That's his job to decide.
Aug 4th 2014 new
(quote) Amber-1078229 said: Doubtful
But why put anything about beauty in the first place?
scratchchin If beauty isn't a factor, why don't I see any profile pics with sweat pants, no makeup, and a t-shirt???
Posts 1 - 10 of 200