Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

This interminable waiting!

Aug 5th 2014 new
I have just entered the 20th month of waiting for word on my annulment petition from the Tribunal of the Diocese of Belleville, Illinois, and I'm about to go nuts! Each day I fly to the mailbox hoping that maybe, just maybe, today will be the day I learn I'm free. I have phoned the tribunal three times since December, and my parish contact just as many. Human nature being what it is, I don't want to be a nuisance to the Tribunal, but on the other hand I feel that 20 months is MORE than enough time for discernment. Ever since my wife left suddenly four years ago, I have followed the rules -- I remain chaste and I'm not dating despite my loneliness and longing for a relationship. I deeply respect what an annulment means, and the sanctity of the vows, so I don't think annulments should be treated lightly; however, it's been long enough! I need to know so I can decide how best to move on. Has anyone else had this kind of thing happen? Of so, how did you delicately coax the Tribunal to keep things moving? How did you cope with waiting?
Aug 5th 2014 new

Yep same here. Took 3.5 years all up. Interviewing the witnesses can hold up things for ages. In the end my mother refused to go at all although my father went eventually. Get onto the witnesses and see if they have been called. Check with your former wife if she has been called.

Aug 5th 2014 new
I'm sorry you're stuck with such a long time waiting. If you've contacted the tribunal and asked if there's anything you can do to expedite the process (for example, reminding your witnesses as Claire suggested), then you can only pray. Pray for patience and peace of mind as well as for the ruling.
Aug 5th 2014 new
Eric,

Continue to pray for patience, peace and God's will. Place this entire situation into the hands of the Blessed Virgin - she is our Mediatrix and most powerful saint.

theheart
Aug 5th 2014 new
Hey Eric,
I am so sorry for your long wait to hear about your annulment. I applaud you for your respecting your vows and Church teaching while you wait. I chose to do the same and it can be a challenge. As I waited and worked through mine, I came to the conclusion that it took as long as was needed for me to be at peace with the process and whatever answer was to come.
You don't mention where you are in the process. Are all your witness statements in, have you met with the Tribunal judge, and possibly met with Tribunal counselor (standard in many diocese)...?
I know that the waiting is very hard. Pray and trust :)
Diane
Sep 16th new
I know how it feels... I called periodically for updates (once every few months), prayed for patience, and to feel closer to God. I'll send up a prayer for you!
Sep 16th new
Or you could try lighting a small fire under them.

Figuratively
Sep 16th new
(quote) Eric-1075760 said: I have just entered the 20th month of waiting for word on my annulment petition from the Tribunal of the Diocese of Belleville, Illinois, and I'm about to go nuts! Each day I fly to the mailbox hoping that maybe, just maybe, today will be the day I learn I'm free. I have phoned the tribunal three times since December, and my parish contact just as many. Human nature being what it is, I don't want to be a nuisance to the Tribunal, but on the other hand I feel that 20 months is MORE than enough time for discernment. Ever since my wife left suddenly four years ago, I have followed the rules -- I remain chaste and I'm not dating despite my loneliness and longing for a relationship. I deeply respect what an annulment means, and the sanctity of the vows, so I don't think annulments should be treated lightly; however, it's been long enough! I need to know so I can decide how best to move on. Has anyone else had this kind of thing happen? Of so, how did you delicately coax the Tribunal to keep things moving? How did you cope with waiting?
Are all the witness statements in? Will they give you a status update?
Nov 2nd new
I guess mine was quicker than most it took 3 weeks. I went straight from the court house to parish office and 3 weeks later I had my annulment. They must be quicker here for some reason.
Nov 14th new
Hi Eric, I just finished reading your post, I know its been a while since you wrote it but I would like to let you know that you will probably be getting it in the very near future. It took about 26 months for my annulment to be final. It is a beautiful thing to see how committed you have been. God must be taking this into consideration as He guides the Tribunal.
Posts 1 - 10 of 11