Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Photo Shop

Aug 5th new

What are your feelings about using Photo Shop to clean up and alter profile pics?

FYI: None of my profile pics have been photo shopped...what you see, is what you get. Bridget is soon to turn 50 years of age....You either like what she has to offer or you don't. wink tongue

Aug 5th new
No need for hi-tech tools to "improve" one's looks. Finding a friend who can take a flattering photo, from one's best side, in natural light, in a happy or peaceful moment, will do the trick.
Aug 5th new
Hey Bridget, you look really good, and alive in your pictures. You should get many compliments on them. You have that spunky appeal.
Aug 5th new
Personally, I figure if you need to photoshop it, it isn't the right photo. Everyone is free to disagree. I've already said I don't do make up, and I won't hold it against anyone who does... well, except the guys. I still can't get past "guy-liner". What do the ladies see in Johnny Depp?
Aug 5th new
(quote) Hope-1049882 said: No need for hi-tech tools to "improve" one's looks. Finding a friend who can take a flattering photo, from one's best side, in natural light, in a happy or peaceful moment, will do the trick.

I agree with Hope on this...it's the composition of the shot, and the personality captured and projected by it, that counts. Her current profile photo is certainly a good example of that.

That said, I am sympathetic to those tempted to "shop" their photos a "little bit". The detail resolved on close-up by an even moderately good digital camera can be pretty unsettling. That is especially the case for those who live alone and thus have seen few if any recent close photos of themselves, until needing some for a site like CM. It can be a shock to see how tough those megapixels can be on self-appraisal...worse than a mirror...worse even than that dang florescent lit "Dorian Gray nightmare" mirror in the restroom at my office wink.

Unless it is very skillfully done, it isn't particularly hard for anyone to detect where a photo has been "post-processed", as it's called. One of my F2F dates a while back was a woman about seven years younger. Just seeing her facial profile photo, it was apparent her face was "softened" quite a bit. I actually found that rather touching when I met her in person, because she was in reality very good-looking. I mean, here was a woman over 50 and remarkably pretty, yet she felt that she still needed a little "help" to get...from the visually demanding venue that CM undeniably is...a fair first chance to project the rest of her personality. I think she was at least being realistic...touchingly realistic, as I saw it.

Before needing some for CM a year ago, I had gone over a dozen years with only a couple photos taken of myself, and those were for purposes not nearly as demanding as drawing "romantic" interest. Needing something posted at first meant enduring the shock of seeing how aged I now seemed in the only two photos I then had at hand, so I gave them a "click" or two of the softening tool in a post-process app. One of those is the profile shot you see here. Now it has too many "likes" for me to want to ditch it laughing .

But, I recently added new photos shot by a skillful friend with a nice DSLR... she knows me pretty well, knew what she wanted to capture about me, knew how to compose it...if you can put all that together, you won't even consider altering images. As Hope said, it's the way to go, believe me. But, not everyone has that skilled friend. So, like my ex-date, I don't see much wrong with giving the rest of yourself a chance to be met in person. smile

Aug 5th new
(quote) Dan-1002097 said:

But, I recently added new photos shot by a skillful friend with a nice DSLR...

Oops, sorry folks, for the unexplained nerd-speak...digital single lens reflex...it's a type of camera
Aug 5th new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: Personally, I figure if you need to photoshop it, it isn't the right photo.
Well said. clap
Aug 5th new

Well...it's always nice if you cut the ex- out of the picture...

Seriously, other than intensifying color and cropping, there's not need to.

WYSIWYG.

Aug 5th new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

Well...it's always nice if you cut the ex- out of the picture...

Seriously, other than intensifying color and cropping, there's not need to.

WYSIWYG.

I agree! What is it with people posting pics of themselves where you can clearly see an ex? And no, I dont think we should photo shop any pictures, because thats not an accurate portrayal of who we really are. Don't you plan on meeting someone in person someday? You can't photo shop that....
Aug 5th new
(quote) Bridget-884672 said:

What are your feelings about using Photo Shop to clean up and alter profile pics?

FYI: None of my profile pics have been photo shopped...what you see, is what you get. Bridget is soon to turn 50 years of age....You either like what she has to offer or you don't.

I've noticed the generally sloppy use of Photoshop airbrush tools on another dating site for seniors. Haven't seen it much here on CM. It's usually obvious to me since I worked in the imaging field before retiring. One way to tell for sure is to drag the picture into Photoshop and magnify it. It's dishonest if used to alter one's appearance.
Posts 1 - 10 of 80