Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Aug 6th 2014 new

I am curious to find out what other parishes do or dont do to help adult singles connect. During the calendar year, does your parish have any events geared toward adult singles and how often do these events occur.

I know parishes close to colleges and universities always take the lead in this mission but what about the other parishes. Ive started to see some parishes starting to embrace young married couples by having dinners or mixers but adult singles seem to get the cold shoulder. Almost every Sunday I hear the call to Pray for vocations which I have always assumed to be the call for more priests and nuns but I have never EVER heard the call to Pray for singles to help them connect, marry and create strong Catholic families.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Aug 6th 2014 new
Past college age-YES. Which I suspect is one of many reasons why my parish is dying
Aug 6th 2014 new
I meant to so say past college age NO. I attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation. I see very few young adults/families in the pews. Pretty depressing
Aug 6th 2014 new
It would be pretty hard to schedule such an event outside the calendar year.
Aug 6th 2014 new
Sorry, it's a rather sore topic with my marriageable daughters who find no local Catholic singles group to be active. One theory is it's a geographic distribution problem which puts vast numbers of young singles in the cities (close to jobs) but also in parishes that lack enough funding to run singles programs. Their resources tend to be prioritized for things like homeless outreach and such. There are fewer young singles in our suburbs (where my daughters and I are). Our parish has enough wherewithal, but too few young adult singles.
The other big theory is that young singles are too heavily invested in building their careers to participate in regularly scheduled social events.
Take your pick on the why factor... Our parish has tried to offer young adult programs, but the attendance has been so poor, it's unlikely to happen again unless or until someone steps up to do all the grunt work AND persevere long enough to get a solid program up and running. Once you've got a program that's successful, it will grow, but that's the catch.
Aug 6th 2014 new

No is the answer.I live within walking distance of three universities so young people everywhere. This is one of those "cosmopolitan" areas where lots of singles live. Mainly childless, or kids left home area. Very trendy and the houses with more than two bedrooms cost over one million dollars. I am renting so I haven't got that kind of money tied up.

I am also in walking distance of three Churches/ I love going to the convict built little stone Church which is always packed. They do organise singles stuff but it geared to young people. Definitely not old foggies like yours truely

Aug 6th 2014 new
(quote) Claire-247015 said:

No is the answer.I live within walking distance of three universities so young people everywhere. This is one of those "cosmopolitan" areas where lots of singles live. Mainly childless, or kids left home area. Very trendy and the houses with more than two bedrooms cost over one million dollars. I am renting so I haven't got that kind of money tied up.

I am also in walking distance of three Churches/ I love going to the convict built little stone Church which is always packed. They do organise singles stuff but it geared to young people. Definitely not old foggies like yours truely

Hey, watchyer language, there kid! You are no old foggy.
Aug 6th 2014 new

YES.

Congregation of 50, including about 5 kids under 18 and perhaps 4 couples. The rest are adults over 40 sitting alone. The priest speaks about family and marriage. Hello? Do you even look at who your audience is?

This kind of thing is the reason I no longer attend church at a regular parish, but in a chapel belonging to cloistered nuns.

Aug 6th 2014 new
Pretty much. My parish has (I think) a rather high median age, and there just doesn't seem to be that many singles. Even a couple attempts to start a Young Adults Group have proved abortive.
Posts 1 - 10 of 38