The problem I have with a NEVER MARRIED in the profile is that some folk who are my age put this answer up and then say that they are FREE TO MARRY. They should, I think put DIVORCED. Because legally they are divorced.
I do agree it can be confusing on a site like this. CM should have some more options to chose from.
What marital status should I list in my profile?
July 29, 2014 08:37
When choosing the marital status to display in your profile, please keep these definitions in mind:
I think the above puts it pretty clearly in the text above what "Never Married" means for anyone choosing that as their status - and if it is not the case a Help ticket can be opened with CM to address it I believe. I would stress that it should be done via a help ticket for the privacy of those involved. It may very well be an honest mistake that someone chose the wrong status.
- Never Married - You have never been married, either in a church or civil ceremony and have never been classified as being in a common law marriage.
- Divorced - You have received a legal divorce and do not have an official annulment or lack of form documentation. This status also applies if you were not legally married to your spouse at the time of passing.
- Annulled - You have received a final decree of nullity or lack of form documentation from your diocese, tribunal, or ruling church authority and can provide documentation showing that you are free to marry in the Catholic Church.
- Widowed - Your spouse passed away while you were legally married.
- Married - You are married in the eyes of the law and have not received a final divorce decree. If this is your status, we cannot offer our services to you until your divorce has been finalized.
The actual FAQ page here on CM addressing the above can be found at the following URL:
While marriages of Catholics outside the Church are generally not valid from the Church's perspective, they are, nonetheless, valid legal marriages that carry with them certain potential legal implications. Living together as husband and wife with another person and the subsequent divorce are also significant life events that a person looking for a match might want to take into consideration. In fact, I think a strong case can be made for adding an additional marital status: x-POSSLQ (Person Of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters, for the young 'uns)