Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I recently listened to NPR about men today seeking a "full partnership" in marriage compared to men from the 50s and 60s. It talks about men's roles and expectations at home. I believe in full partnership too. I would have myself and my future wife pull in our resources and determination to run our household the best as we can. I know that "life happens" and we will help each other in overcoming that. My question is do women want equal partnership? Do they want the men to take the lead or be the fall back financial provider in their household? Do they want a man to make more money than they do?
Aug 9th 2014 new
good OP thang .........

in my situation, just want him to be the man he is and who he is to complement/complete the union ... other than that, we just grow as one union .... nothing more or less than we can contribute within our means but yet shine like the sun in our lives and those whom we touch: each other, family, friends, neighbors, parishioners, the community as a whole .... rose hug Praying Dove theheart rosary Dove rose rose rose
Aug 9th 2014 new
(quote) Genie-920495 said: good OP thang .........

in my situation, just want him to be the man he is and who he is to complement/complete the union ... other than that, we just grow as one union .... nothing more or less than we can contribute within our means but yet shine like the sun in our lives and those whom we touch: each other, family, friends, neighbors, parishioners, the community as a whole ....
Thanks Genie! I like your comment about having the man complimenting or completing the union. I also like about the nothing more or less than we can contribute within our means.
Aug 9th 2014 new
I don't want or agree with a 50/50 marriage (at least for myself). I'm more traditional and think the man should be the bread winner and the woman stay home with the kids. I don't believe men and woman are equal and should be treated as such. That's not to say one is better than the other, please don't get me wrong wink. I do however think that we both have strengths and weaknesses over the other and we should play to them if and when possible.

I was raised by a SAHM (<- stay at home mom) and a father who worked full time. My mom also had a home daycare, so I was able to see both sides of the coin, so to speak. As wonderful as my mother always was with the kids, I always thought it very sad that they had to get their love and attention from her or myself, rather than their own mother. I'd never put a child of mine in daycare just so I could be 'equal' to a husband with chores and money.

I know it can work for some families perfectly fine, but I'm against it for myself. It's a deal breaker for dating someone if they're against a 1-income home. shhh
Aug 9th 2014 new
(quote) Amber-1078229 said: I don't want or agree with a 50/50 marriage (at least for myself). I'm more traditional and think the man should be the bread winner and the woman stay home with the kids. I don't believe men and woman are equal and should be treated as such. That's not to say one is better than the other, please don't get me wrong . I do however think that we both have strengths and weaknesses over the other and we should play to them if and when possible.

I was raised by a SAHM (<- stay at home mom) and a father who worked full time. My mom also had a home daycare, so I was able to see both sides of the coin, so to speak. As wonderful as my mother always was with the kids, I always thought it very sad that they had to get their love and attention from her or myself, rather than their own mother. I'd never put a child of mine in daycare just so I could be 'equal' to a husband with chores and money.

Amber, I totally agree with you! You expressed this so well... biggrin
Aug 9th 2014 new
(quote) Meg-920823 said: Amber, I totally agree with you! You expressed this so well...
Thank you biggrin
Aug 9th 2014 new
(quote) Amber-1078229 said: Thank you
I also think the pressure on the woman to go to work, be a mother, be a career person etc. etc. etc., no matter how much the husband helps, has strongly impacted our outlook, stress level and behavior. I cannot imagine what it takes to do that while running a home and raising children.
Aug 9th 2014 new
(quote) Meg-920823 said: I also think the pressure on the woman to go to work, be a mother, be a career person etc. etc. etc., no matter how much the husband helps, has strongly impacted our outlook, stress level and behavior. I cannot imagine what it takes to do that while running a home and raising children.
I agree. Moms can be absolutely amazing, but they're still people. When they're work load (career/kids/husband/house/etc) starts getting too much, things will fall through the cracks.
Aug 9th 2014 new
(quote) Amber-1078229 said: I agree. Moms can be absolutely amazing, but they're still people. When they're work load (career/kids/husband/house/etc) starts getting too much, things will fall through the cracks.
Exactly. Something has to give and it can be our spiritual or family time. There are only so many hours in the day.
Aug 9th 2014 new
(quote) Meg-920823 said: Exactly. Something has to give and it can be our spiritual or family time. There are only so many hours in the day.
Those should be the last two things to give.

Posts 1 - 10 of 51