Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

After a prolonged absence, during which time I joined 23 other "pilgrims" on a retreat in Northern Ireland, and then spent a week - alone - in Dublin, I am in the middle of a particularly insane moving project. For those who are wondering, or even interested, having discovered that I hated traveling alone, I deduced that moving to Puerto Rico alone would be at least equally unpleasant. I am, however, moving out of the apartment that my late husband and I occupied, and into something more manageable - most likely somewhere around Atlanta, but still undecided. So... when I'm not agonizing over what to keep and what to give away, I will try to attend to my forum threads. Thank you so much to everyone who kept the discussion going on the topic of giving and receiving flowers. Kudos to all! And now...

Much as I grimace while recalling the above-quoted Streisand-Diamond duet, it feels quite necessary to complete the overall theme of nice-but-too-infrequently-employed rituals of dating and early relationship madness - another example would be reciting poetry. Perhaps even more common would be the cheerful willingness to engage in or attend some sort of activity adored by the adored one but generally assiduously avoided by the adorer.

Since love songs seem to comprise an overly large share of the music written, among the many that evoke the sentiment desired - i.e., melting of the heart, an overwhelming rush of positive thoughts and feelings toward the singer (or, more likely, the person operating the sound system) - there is, naturally, a splendiferous assortment of compositions and performances that, in me, at least, evoke the desire to smash whatever electronic device is emitting said noise.

in order to prevent this thread from developing into a "Listener's Choice of Love Songs Through the Years", I would like to invite CM contributors first to name their favorite love song -ONE- and then to comment or add whatever observations they desire with regard to the latter two categories, supra - to wit, recitations of poetry (whether original compositions or those of others), as well as the cheerfully embraced but otherwise despised activity.

To start us off, I offer the following:

My favorite love song (among many) is Neil Young's "Harvest Moon".
youtu.be

As for poetry - I frequently presented my late husband with poetry - not my own - but probably would not send any such thing to a new love interest; I deem poetry to be too significant an expression of my interest to toss it around casually.

My favorite love poetry? Too numerous to recount, but I always return to Shakespeare's Sonnets, and specifically:

SONNET CXVI (116)

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no; it is an ever-fixed mark,
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

I'm not sure a more perfect epithalamion has ever been written.

There were many times when I wished I could compose and sing love songs to my late husband, but I settled for playing them instead. And I have written any number of poems, but none that I consider worth sharing.

So.... with this incredibly long introduction, I turn the topic over to you, CM members, for your comments, contributions and insights.

Aug 10th new

The best love song?

"Darlin' be Home Soon", by John Sebastian/Lovin' Spoonful

Aug 10th new
(quote) Dan-1002097 said:

The best love song?

"Darlin' be Home Soon", by John Sebastian/Lovin' Spoonful

Oh, yeah, sorry Maura, you didn't want this to "develop" into just a Listeners' Choice... wink

Well, I'm afraid that 52% of melancholy detected in me by the CM temperament test just didn't come with the talent DNA to write or sing anywhere near the level of those who can do either, or both, for a living. So, I'm one of many who must rely on others to convey my sentiments for me.

Aug 10th new
One of my favorite modern love poems is Richard Wilbur's "For C":

www.poetryfoundation.org

Wilbur wrote the poem to his wife in celebration of their 60-year marriage. I love how it juxtaposes their love with the kind that love poems more commonly celebrate.
Aug 10th new
Favorite love song? Unforgettable Nat King Cole

www.youtube.com

Aug 10th new
(quote) Russ-959222 said: One of my favorite modern love poems is Richard Wilbur's "For C":

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/171779

Wilbur wrote the poem to his wife in celebration of their 60-year marriage. I love how it juxtaposes their love with the kind that love poems more commonly celebrate.
I love the tributes to long marriages as well - thus, my choice of the 116th Sonnet. Have you ever heard the song "Prettiest Eyes", by The Beautiful South? They used to be The Housemartins (British, from Leeds) -
Anyway, it's a very moving song - written, I believe, for his parents on their 60th. The refrain is "Just take a look at these crows' feet, Sitting on the prettiest eyes, Sixty 25th of Decembers, Fifty-nine Fourth of Julys..."
It was one of Phillip's favorites, but it made him cry since he wanted so badly to have as many years with me, and knew it was impossible. I always insisted that, with God, anything was possible - but 7 years was all we were given.

youtu.be

Aug 10th new
(quote) Dan-1002097 said:

Oh, yeah, sorry Maura, you didn't want this to "develop" into just a Listeners' Choice...

Well, I'm afraid that 52% of melancholy detected in me by the CM temperament test just didn't come with the talent DNA to write or sing anywhere near the level of those who can do either, or both, for a living. So, I'm one of many who must rely on others to convey my sentiments for me.

Come on, Dan - you've just restated my original premise! Very few of those lucky souls who fall in love are professional musicians, poets, writers, or artists - so we present our adored listener with someone else's work, but with our own sentiments.
It's all the thought and emotion that goes into the choice that counts - and isn't necessarily a "my favorite..." list.

Aug 10th new
In '67, before my folks were married, Mom's grandparents celebrated their 50th anniversary. My grandfather wrote new lyrics to this song, telling the tale of their lives. It was sung to them by all their grandchildren. My Dad wasn't invited but ended up there anyway, along with his tape recorder. Thanks to that, today we have a recording of all the speeches, and of my more than a little tipsy grandfather leading the kids, singing the song.

Al Jolson - The Anniversary Song (aka Waves of the Danube)
www.youtube.com

Aug 10th new

Sonnets, schmonnets! wink Never could get into poetry...poems don't have orchestral background...

[Cue rising orchestral background]

"But darling be home soon
I couldn't bear to wait an extra minute if you dawdled
My darling be home soon
It's not just these few hours but I've been waiting since I toddled
For the great relief of having you to talk to"

The singer has "been waiting since he toddled". Since he was a toddler. His whole life. Now that he knows her, he realizes his whole life led up to finding her.

So...anyway...what's a sonnet? smile

Aug 10th new
(quote) John-132457 said: In '67, before my folks were married, Mom's grandparents celebrated their 50th anniversary. My grandfather wrote new lyrics to this song, telling the tale of their lives. It was sung to them by all their grandchildren. My Dad wasn't invited but ended up there anyway, along with his tape recorder. Thanks to that, today we have a recording of all the speeches, and of my more than a little tipsy grandfather leading the kids, singing the song.

Al Jolson - The Anniversary Song (aka Waves of the Danube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-y1O_r55Mw

What a beautiful scene to contemplate! You have fabulous genes, John, and we expect great things from you and for you, as you should for yourself.

Posts 1 - 10 of 42