Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I was raised in a rather lenient home, however we had one big rule when it came to boys. Girls do not call boys and they do not ask them out. My mother would ground me from the phone if I was talking to a boy and he was not the one to make the call.

Fast forward to the digital age, I struggle with "making the first move." Having been raised with traditional expectations I do believe a man should ask a woman out as well as make the first contact. I understand that this is 2014 and the times are a changin, but how does one reconcile this in an online dating world?

Thoughts and opinions?? eyebrow
Aug 11th 2014 new
(quote) Kristen-1074919 said: I was raised in a rather lenient home, however we had one big rule when it came to boys. Girls do not call boys and they do not ask them out. My mother would ground me from the phone if I was talking to a boy and he was not the one to make the call.

Fast forward to the digital age, I struggle with "making the first move." Having been raised with traditional expectations I do believe a man should ask a woman out as well as make the first contact. I understand that this is 2014 and the times are a changin, but how does one reconcile this in an online dating world?

Thoughts and opinions??
very warm welcome to the Fora/OP Kristen wave smile

yup do agree the man should to the pursuing and you/i do the running ... how fast depends on the stop watch ....nope your mom is intelligent and wise and should keep that advice intact .... man they definitely know who they want and there is no question or doubt about it, so if they cann't find, they will wait till they drop six feet under and that is find and well bc after all they didn't gain any drama or lost love .... and as some would say more power to him/her regarding their indiv decision/choice..... this is just my crazy midnight thought going at rapid rate of speed thinking per your OP .......
Aug 11th 2014 new
Kristen, I believe that a man should ask the woman he is interested in out or start sending messages or emotigrams. If you could wait for the men who you like to ask, especially those who are shy to ask you, then do that. Otherwise, ask them.
Aug 11th 2014 new
(quote) Thang-1077057 said: Kristen, I believe that a man should ask the woman he is interested in out or start sending messages or emotigrams. If you could wait for the men who you like to ask, especially those who are shy to ask you, then do that. Otherwise, ask them.
From a male perspective, do you think men realize that some women will not make the first contact or do they think it should be a two way street?
Aug 11th 2014 new
(quote) Kristen-1074919 said: I was raised in a rather lenient home, however we had one big rule when it came to boys. Girls do not call boys and they do not ask them out. My mother would ground me from the phone if I was talking to a boy and he was not the one to make the call.

You have a wise mother.
Aug 11th 2014 new
(quote) Kristen-1074919 said: From a male perspective, do you think men realize that some women will not make the first contact or do they think it should be a two way street?
From all my male friends, they have asked the woman. However, women have asked them out too including saying hello first.
Aug 11th 2014 new
(quote) Thang-1077057 said: From all my male friends, they have asked the woman. However, women have asked them out too including saying hello first.
maybe if the woman, being an extrovert, gave a slight hint or something; then the man, being an introvert, acknowledges and there upon agreed to seek future relationship by reaching out, then this could be work in progress connection ... sometimes from a woman's perspective/point of view she may seem to be stronger, intimating, or being too forward, but that could just be on the surface only waiting for that man to response in kind to open up for that possibility of having a one of a special kind of a relationship ... rose hug Praying Dove theheart rosary Dove rose rose rose
Aug 11th 2014 new
(quote) Kristen-1074919 said: From a male perspective, do you think men realize that some women will not make the first contact or do they think it should be a two way street?
I believe that most men understand women will not initiate first contact or ask for a date. The problem with this traditional approach to dating in the online world is that the online world is geared for actively participating, two-way communication.

If you want dating success in the online world, you will have to at least initiate some form of communication. Posting attractive photos and writing a captivating profile is a passive form of communication.

It is the brave few that muster the courage to actually send a message consisting of more than two sentences. This direct and active form of communication grabs my attention eyepopping and creates intrigue.

I do my best to reply to the brave few who take this route and would encourage more women to do it.

You can still leave the "asking out" part for the man to do.

Aug 11th 2014 new

Thoughts and opinions??
You are completely right.
That it is online or 2014 does not change the fact that the man should make the first move. It only looks desperate if a woman contacts a man first. He should be mature enough to send the woman he is interested in a written message. I would do better without a man who thinks otherwise.
Aug 11th 2014 new
(quote) Brett-848238 said: I believe that most men understand women will not initiate first contact or ask for a date. The problem with this traditional approach to dating in the online world is that the online world is geared for actively participating, two-way communication.

If you want dating success in the online world, you will have to at least initiate some form of communication. Posting attractive photos and writing a captivating profile is a passive form of communication.

It is the brave few that muster the courage to actually send a message consisting of more than two sentences. This direct and active form of communication grabs my attention and creates intrigue.

I do my best to reply to the brave few who take this route and would encourage more women to do it.

You can still leave the "asking out" part for the man to do.

Very well put!!!!! biggrin
Posts 1 - 10 of 58