Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Pope Francis: calls for ARMED RESPONSE to defend Christians from Genocide

Pope Francis has joined with Christians facing genocide in Iraq and Syria, calling upon the world to make an armed response to the Islamic State. He has asked the world to "stop these crimes" and called for the use of "a professional, well-equipped army."

Read more at:
Aug 11th new
COMMENT:
This appears to be just a case of extraordinarily bad reporting.

The Pope said nothing of the sort during his Angelus message on Sunday. The closest he comes is:

Ringrazio coloro che, con coraggio, stanno portando soccorso a questi fratelli e sorelle, e confido che una efficace soluzione politica a livello internazionale e locale possa fermare questi crimini e ristabilire il diritto.
http://w2.vatican.va
/content/francesco/it/angelus/2014/documents/papa-francesco_angelus_20140810.html

Which translates roughly as:

"I thank those who, with courage, are bringing relief to these brothers and sisters, and I am confident that an effective political solution at international and local levels can stop these crimes and restore the right."

(My Italian is a little rusty (i.e., non-existent), so if anyone has a better translation . . .)

The actual source of the call for an "armed response" seems to have originated three days earlier from the (Catholic) Chaldean Patriarch Louis Sako of Baghdad.

The Islamic State fighters, he said, are taking advantage of the power vacuum "to impose their rule and terror. There is a need of international support and a professional, well-equipped army. The situation is going from bad to worse."
www.catholicnews.com

And this German Catholic News site ( www.kath.net ) reports that (paraphrasing):

The Vatican's top diplomat, Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, Permanent Observer of the Holy See to the United Nations agencies in Geneva, said that such an approach "at this moment may be necessary." And that he expressed cautious approval for military intervention in Iraq.

The article also reports that somebody using the Pope Francis Twitter account tweeted a call "to protect all victims of violence in Iraq." And that this was clarified later with "violence is not defeated with more violence."

However, it is Germany and they reportedly have more than their fair share of unique views of Catholic teachings.

My reading is that the Catholic hierarchy is not singing from the same songbook as Pope Francis.

Or perhaps Pope Francis is giving them a little more latitude than he himself enjoys.

The Pope said nothing of the sort during his Angelus message on Sunday. The closest he comes is:
Ringrazio coloro che, con coraggio, stanno portando soccorso a questi fratelli e sorelle, e confido che una efficace soluzione politica a livello internazionale e locale possa fermare questi crimini e ristabilire il diritto.
/content/francesco/it/angelus/2014/documents/papa-francesco_angelus_20140810.html
"I thank those who, with courage, are bringing relief to these brothers and sisters, and I am confident that an effective political solution at international and local levels can stop these crimes and restore the right."
(My Italian is a little rusty (i.e., non-existent), so if anyone has a better translation . . .)
The actual source of the call for an "armed response" seems to have originated three days earlier from the (Catholic) Chaldean Patriarch Louis Sako of Baghdad.
The Islamic State fighters, he said, are taking advantage of the power vacuum "to impose their rule and terror. There is a need of international support and a professional, well-equipped army. The situation is going from bad to worse."
http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1403297.htm
And this German Catholic News site ( http://www.kath.net/news/47035 ) reports that (paraphrasing):
The Vatican's top diplomat, Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, Permanent Observer of the Holy See to the United Nations agencies in Geneva, said that such an approach "at this moment may be necessary." And that he expressed cautious approval for military intervention in Iraq.

The article also reports that somebody using the Pope Francis Twitter account tweeted a call "to protect all victims of violence in Iraq." And that this was clarified later with "violence is not defeated with more violence."
However, it is Germany and they reportedly have more than their fair share of unique views of Catholic teachings.

My reading is that the Catholic hierarchy is not singing from the same songbook as Pope Francis.

Or perhaps Pope Francis is giving them a little more latitude than he himself enjoys.

So, Pope Francis said we needed political intervention in Iraq, yet other priests
are asking for military intervention? Well, we really need to help out in Iraq.

As was the original intention of fighting terrorism on its native soil when we
went into Afghanistan and Iraq, this is it in front of us. ISIS is forging their own
militant Sunni Islamic State and they will be gunning for us soon as they
have already said.

And since America is a Christian Nation, at least so far, we should help out
other Christians around the world, since we have the capability.

ISIS is persecuting Christians in such a barbaric way. They need our help.
If Saddam Hussein was in power, I don't think the Christians would be
having such a brutal time of it. This is our fault.

Aug 11th new
(quote) Jack-752986 said: COMMENT:This appears to be just a case of extraordinarily bad reporting.
And this German Catholic News site ( http://www.kath.net/news/47035 ) reports that (paraphrasing):

So, Pope Francis said we needed political intervention in Iraq, yet other priests

went into Afghanistan and Iraq, this is it in front of us. ISIS is forging their own
have already said.

Aug 11th new
(quote) Jack-752986 said: COMMENT:This appears to be just a case of extraordinarily bad reporting.

have already said.

Aug 11th new

have already said.

Aug 12th new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

have already said.

>> So, Pope Francis said we needed political intervention in Iraq

I'm hard-pressed to believe that the Pope would ever advocate specifically for war. It's not in his competency ("Just War Doctrine" places that competency in the heads of state.) As the Vicar of Christ, Prince of Peace, he would advocate for true Peace. However, I suspect that at least half of all belligerents don't understand the necessary conditions of true Peace, so we end up with war regardless.

>> yet other priests are asking for military intervention?

Some are facing Evil personified. Appeals to moral suasion all too often fall on deaf ears. Sometimes war is necessary.

By John L. Allen Jr.
AUG 11, 2014

ROME For anyone familiar with the Vaticans recent history of bitter opposition to any US use of military force in the Middle East, Romes increasingly vocal support for the recent American airstrikes in Iraq may seem, to say the least, a little disorienting.

On Monday, the Vaticans previously tacit approval for the American intervention turned explicit, as two senior officials offered what amounts to a blessing through official communications channels.

Archbishop Giorgio Lingua, the popes ambassador to Baghdad, told Vatican radio that the American strikes are something that had to be done, otherwise [the Islamic State forces] could not be stopped.

**snip**

In a similar vein, Archbishop Silvano Tomasi, the Vaticans envoy to the United Nations in Geneva, told Vatican Radio that military action in this moment is probably necessary.

Both Lingua and Tomasi went on to say that the international community needs to do more to unmask whoevers supporting the radical Islamic State forces and to cut off its supply of arms, signaling reservations about widening the conflict.

Read more at:
news/world/2014/08/11/explaining-vatican-surprising-pro-line-iraq/gPwU2wDzk94t2Orvr5gmsK/story.html

- - - - - - - -

NOTE: Allen is widely considered to be among the more balanced reporters at "National Catholic Reporter" (aka "Fishwrap", "National Catholic Distorter," "National non-Catholic Reporter"). But I find he still filters stories through a liberal lens for a liberal audience.
Aug 14th new
(quote) Jack-752986 said: Pope Francis: calls for ARMED RESPONSE to defend Christians from Genocide
Pope Francis has joined with Christians facing genocide in Iraq and Syria, calling upon the world to make an armed response to the Islamic State. He has asked the world to "stop these crimes" and called for the use of "a professional, well-equipped army."
Read more at:http://www.catholic.org/news/international/middle_east/story.php?id=56510
Here is a good Associated Press article in National Post (dated 8/13/14). Some good photos too:

Title >>> "Pope Francis signals support for Iraq military action to protect Christians from brutal Islamic jihadists"

tinyurl.com

Ed

Aug 14th new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

have already said.

This isn't our fault. Hussein killed thousands and thousands of Kurds and the Kurds protected Christians in their villages. We will never know how many Christians were killed from his chemicals of mass destruction at that time.
Posts 1 - 10 of 25