Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Hi everyone! I'm back....after being away for a while. I just moved to Northern LA. There is only 5% of Catholics down here. I will be meeting with the Bishop soon and I'm hoping to suggest that he support the idea of forming a group of Catholic singles. We need to expose Catholic singles to one another. First please pray for my effort. Second, if you have any idea how I should address this issue with him please kindly make your suggestion. Thanks.
Aug 7th 2014 new
Praying for your effort Khoa! Let us know how it goes...
Aug 7th 2014 new
Wishing you all success!!! thumbsup
Aug 8th 2014 new
Very nice, Khoa! Nothing better than support among fellow Catholic singles! Praying you find success in putting a fun and active group together!
Welcome back!

Aug 12th 2014 new
Khoa,

Hopefully I have some ideas or questions for you to think about.
  • Some dioceses have a ministry for young adult activities, which requires a staff member. If the diocese is unable to fund the ministry, then it won't go too far. If this were integrated into someone else's ministry, you would need to ensure that the staff member isn't overloaded with several commitments.
  • Depending on how geographically large the diocese is, a diocesan wide Catholic singles group may not be practical. Smaller geographic dioceses may be more concentrated to allow for such events.
  • In most cases, the more successful groups will require a draw from multiple parishes. You will need the permission of the other parishes for such a group, just in case a diocese wide group doesn't come to fruition.
  • What kinds of activities would this group perform? Is this a social group, or are there faith related activities? You would need to think about this for your proposal.
  • It could take time for something to occur at the diocesan level. What is your next step? Are you prepared to create a group locally in your parish and nearby parishes? Be prepared to take on leadership role for such a group. In such a case, be prepared to spend a lot of time in this role.
  • Usually groups will do much better when you have a core team of people planning the activities of the group. This allows for continuity in case some people leave.
  • You might be better off using a 3rd party social media app such as MeetUp. Several groups can be created on MeetUp, but I don't know whether they will allow faith only groups to have their own groups.
Aug 12th 2014 new
(quote) Kris-1115381 said: Khoa,

Hopefully I have some ideas or questions for you to think about.
Some dioceses have a ministry for young adult activities, which requires a staff member. If the diocese is unable to fund the ministry, then it won't go too far. If this were integrated into someone else's ministry, you would need to ensure that the staff member isn't overloaded with several commitments. Depending on how geographically large the diocese is, a diocesan wide Catholic singles group may not be practical. Smaller geographic dioceses may be more concentrated to allow for such events.In most cases, the more successful groups will require a draw from multiple parishes. You will need the permission of the other parishes for such a group, just in case a diocese wide group doesn't come to fruition.What kinds of activities would this group perform? Is this a social group, or are there faith related activities? You would need to think about this for your proposal.It could take time for something to occur at the diocesan level. What is your next step? Are you prepared to create a group locally in your parish and nearby parishes? Be prepared to take on leadership role for such a group. In such a case, be prepared to spend a lot of time in this role.Usually groups will do much better when you have a core team of people planning the activities of the group. This allows for continuity in case some people leave.You might be better off using a 3rd party social media app such as MeetUp. Several groups can be created on MeetUp, but I don't know whether they will allow faith only groups to have their own groups.
very warm welcome to the Fora Kris wave smile ............

great suggestions You get a Gold Star! ..........
Aug 16th 2014 new
Thanks so much Kris and to all of you for your thoughts.
Aug 16th 2014 new
Khoa,
Best of luck in forming a singles group in Northern LA.

I live in Southern AL, and I have found no singles groups available in the parishes in my area.

It would be nice to develop a type of Catholic Meet-up for those living in a 150 mi radius. This would allow many of us to meet casually and socialize. Any suggestions of local social mixers would be appreciated!!

Aug 17th 2014 new
Angela, A meetup for Catholics is a great idea! Thanks.I'm on it lol.
Posts 1 - 9 of 9