Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Aug 14th 2014 new
My reasoning for this question that I posted here is, related to what I expect out of a marriage. My reasoning for finding a bride is to start a family. I suppose at 39 years of age my ideal potential bride would be around 10 years younger than me. Am I being realistic with my expectations. I would like to hear from the women on this, please.
Aug 14th 2014 new
Every lady has her own opinion. Best to check in with the particular ladies who have caught your eye.
Aug 14th 2014 new
I know you don't want to hear from guys, but in 1974 I married a lady my own age with two young children and never regretted it. I think you'd have a better chance doing that.
Aug 14th 2014 new
Well Peter at 20 vs pushing 40 hardly compares. A 20 year old woman is still fertile whereas a 40 year woman is questionable.

Aug 14th 2014 new
(quote) Eric-941851 said: My reasoning for this question that I posted here is, related to what I expect out of a marriage. My reasoning for finding a bride is to start a family. I suppose at 39 years of age my ideal potential bride would be around 10 years younger than me. Am I being realistic with my expectations. I would like to hear from the women on this, please.
Yes, I think you should marry someone around 10 years younger so that you may be able to have many children. I see nothing wrong in that. The ultimate purpose of marriage is the procreation and education of children. And the world needs more Catholics, so it's important to have many children to raise in the Faith.
Aug 14th 2014 new
(quote) Eric-941851 said: Well Peter at 20 vs pushing 40 hardly compares. A 20 year old woman is still fertile whereas a 40 year woman is questionable.

That depends on the woman, so I hope that by saying the woman is "questionable," you mean you can ask her at an appropriate time. :) Also keep in mind that there are no guarantees here. You could marry a 20 year-old and then discover that one or both of you can't have kids.

Some men determine the minimum age of woman they can date by dividing their own age in half and adding 7 years to that. So for you the youngest you could go would be 26.5. To me that rule has always seemed sort of reasonable, but keep in mind that a lot of women aren't comfortable with that big of an age gap. And personally I have to admit that I am more comfortable with someone within 5-10 years of my age. It might well be safest to search within ten years of your own age.

Aug 14th 2014 new
This thread seems to be a recurring theme on here, so I'll add my two cents:

Age difference tolerance for marriage is an individual thing and each person has their own views, so it is best to check out what is written in a profile carefully, and not assume anything. Just as a general observation, successful marriages usually are partnerships where the husband and wife carry their burdens and joys together with an acknowledgement of their respective strengths, weaknesses and roles. That is a lot harder to achieve with a spouse that is young enough to be one's child because age gaps are life experience gaps also.

The biology of fertility and Catholic values are two things that are generally not well understood in society. Making decisions based on pop culture stereotypes may take you down the wrong road in life. Men who are seeking younger (in some cases much younger) women with the goal of fertility in mind should remember that a younger woman or even the man himself may have a medical problem related to infertility. A husband or a wife is not a means to an end - they are a human being. Many women in their forties can conceive. Men who don't look like Brad Pitt or make his kind of money can still be fathers. You marry a human being, and not a thing that can give you offspring or buy you nice jewelry. Marrying is not an acquisition, it is a merger.

And, a lot of Catholics talk a good game about being pro-life and supporting adoption, but few consider the follow-through of taking action to adopt. If a couple marries, and whether by age or by medical condition they cannot bear their own children, there are children who need a loving and stable home. If the desire for parenthood is there, you can still make your own family.

Aug 14th 2014 new
Well Angela I might tend to agree with you, but for one thing. It's not so much about my desire for parenthood but my desire to reproduce.

Aug 14th 2014 new
So Carolina, you think you might want to get to know each other a little better?
Posts 1 - 10 of 138