Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

I know that today is the Assumption of Mary and a Holy Day. The hard part is actually trying to find a mass that I can attend. I prefer to attend early Sunday morning mass but on Holy Days I attend mass after I get home from work. I am scouring different local parish online bulletins for Holy Day masses after 5:00 pm but there are very few. It seems that some parishes will not go out of their way to offer an evening Holy Day mass for the working populous. Am I alone in thinking this way? I am curious if anyone who works a 9 to 5 job would wake up extra early to attend a 6:30am Holy Day mass?
Aug 15th new
If it's the only way to meet your Mass obligation, shouldn't you? I'll definitely agree with you that it's painful, but either the obligation is important and meaningful, or it's not. And while you're there, you can have a gentle chat with Father about the possibility of having Daily Masses after working hours - he probably won't do it if no one ever expresses interest in it.
Aug 16th new
(quote) Brett-848238 said: I know that today is the Assumption of Mary and a Holy Day. The hard part is actually trying to find a mass that I can attend. I prefer to attend early Sunday morning mass but on Holy Days I attend mass after I get home from work. I am scouring different local parish online bulletins for Holy Day masses after 5:00 pm but there are very few. It seems that some parishes will not go out of their way to offer an evening Holy Day mass for the working populous. Am I alone in thinking this way? I am curious if anyone who works a 9 to 5 job would wake up extra early to attend a 6:30am Holy Day mass?
If you couldn't find an available evening Mass (or in larger cities there is usually a Mass around noon), then yes, most certainly one would have to get up a bit earlier to attend Mass on Holy Days of Obligation. I think if one takes being Catholic seriously then one would make any possible sacrifice, not just to fulfill an obligation, but out of love for God, Our Lady, & the Church. Sounds preachy; sorry, not my intent, just stating my piece :-) Sadly, due to my work schedule I couldn't get to Mass on the Assumption; not even every Sunday. Still, we have to try.
Aug 16th new
(quote) Brett-848238 said: I know that today is the Assumption of Mary and a Holy Day. The hard part is actually trying to find a mass that I can attend. I prefer to attend early Sunday morning mass but on Holy Days I attend mass after I get home from work. I am scouring different local parish online bulletins for Holy Day masses after 5:00 pm but there are very few. It seems that some parishes will not go out of their way to offer an evening Holy Day mass for the working populous. Am I alone in thinking this way? I am curious if anyone who works a 9 to 5 job would wake up extra early to attend a 6:30am Holy Day mass?
Not a problem in Auburn, California. 7:00 PM Friday at St. Theresa's.

Ed

Aug 16th new
My parish had a 7 p.m. Mass last night for the Assumption. Sadly, it was sparsely attended.
Aug 16th new
In the US (I don't know about ohter countries), there are several Holy Days of Obligation where the obligation is waived when the feast is on a Monday or Saturday (we can't have people going to mass two days in a row, now can we? irked weeping weeping); this does not apply when these feasts fall on Friday.

One thing I have noticed is that some parishes will have vigil Masses for a Holy Day of Obligation the evening before, but won't have a Mass at the same time on the Holy Day itself.

I agree with those who suggested you talk to the pastor of your parish. If he does not agree to cooperate, check the HDO Mass times for all the parishes near you (including the evening before) and write to the bishop expressing your concern about working people not being able to attend Mass. I suggest phrasing it as "meeting your obligation", since he may just respond that you can get a dispensation if it is impossible for you to attend due to the schedules.

Posts 1 - 6 of 6