Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I just learned that AT&T and a nearby Catholic cemetery have applied for a Special Use Permit to build a 140 feet high commercial cell tower right within the consecrated land. (The surrounding neighborhoods are zoned as residential.) The Church certainly has a right to pursue financial ventures, but I thought Catholic cemeteries are meant to be sacred places for the dead and intended to offer solace to the living. I wasn't even aware that such a secular enterprise would be allowed in a cemetery, much less that many cemeteries already have allied with big telecommunications for financial gain. It just doesn't seem respectful to the dead to me. What infiltration is next? Is there anyone who might be able to help me sort out my religious conflict and help me gain a more balanced perspective? My thinking is far from progressive on this situation, Lol.
Aug 16th 2014 new
(quote) Carol-1007500 said: I just learned that AT&T and a nearby Catholic cemetery have applied for a Special Use Permit to build a 140 feet high commercial cell tower right within the consecrated land. (The surrounding neighborhoods are zoned as residential.) The Church certainly has a right to pursue financial ventures, but I thought Catholic cemeteries are meant to be sacred places for the dead and intended to offer solace to the living. I wasn't even aware that such a secular enterprise would be allowed in a cemetery, much less that many cemeteries already have allied with big telecommunications for financial gain. It just doesn't seem respectful to the dead to me. What infiltration is next? Is there anyone who might be able to help me sort out my religious conflict and help me gain a more balanced perspective? My thinking is far from progressive on this situation, Lol.
My first question would be where is the tower going to be located? If it will be in a corner of the property, away from the grave sites, will those visiting the cemetery even notice?

If, after gathering all the information, you find it will be in a problematic location (such as over or in close proximity to, grave sites, then I would write to the bishop and make your case. If it comes to that, , it might help to research other similar incidents rather and see if you can make a solid case on canon law rather than relying on an appeal to emotion while a cell tower in the cemetery might will be offensive to the living, I don't think the dead care one way or the other. Expend the same energy getting people to pray, and especially offer Masses for their souls -- that will make a difference to them!

Aug 16th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: My first question would be where is the tower going to be located? If it will be in a corner of the property, away from the grave sites, will those visiting the cemetery even notice?

If, after gathering all the information, you find it will be in a problematic location (such as over or in close proximity to, grave sites, then I would write to the bishop and make your case. If it comes to that, , it might help to research other similar incidents rather and see if you can make a solid case on canon law rather than relying on an appeal to emotion while a cell tower in the cemetery might will be offensive to the living, I don't think the dead care one way or the other. Expend the same energy getting people to pray, and especially offer Masses for their souls -- that will make a difference to them!

Thanks for the time and effort of your response, Jerry. If approved, the tower is supposed to constructed next to the first phase of mausoleums that are being built which are located in the in the side middle of the cemetery. It would be hard for visitors not to see the tower as it will monstrously stand fourteen stories high! Fortunately, many are opposing the Diocese being granted a variance for this, so hopefully it will never come to realization. Affected residents have already been given the option of contacting the bishop, along with other channels. My struggle is more about my perception that a Catholic cemetery is supposed to be a sacred resting ground, not a grossly commercial enterprise. Just doesn't seem very respectful. And a bit of cavorting with the devil.

Aug 16th 2014 new
(quote) Carol-1007500 said: Thanks for the time and effort of your response, Jerry. If approved, the tower is supposed to constructed next to the first phase of mausoleums that are being built which are located in the in the side middle of the cemetery. It would be hard for visitors not to see the tower as it will monstrously stand fourteen stories high! Fortunately, many are opposing the Diocese being granted a variance for this, so hopefully it will never come to realization. Affected residents have already been given the option of contacting the bishop, along with other channels. My struggle is more about my perception that a Catholic cemetery is supposed to be a sacred resting ground, not a grossly commercial enterprise. Just doesn't seem very respectful. And a bit of cavorting with the devil.

It's hard to say for certain without seeing the site, but it does seem like an inappropriate location to me.

As a side not, the height of the tower isn't all that maters. Sometimes they can do a good job of hiding a tower, such as by placing it behind a barrier of trees. While the tower will be much higher than the trees, from the near ground level you wouldn't notice it unless you look up at a steep angle. They may have similar plans here.

Radio towers or not, the business practices of some Catholic cemeteries can be a real scam. You don't want to get me started on the scam Cathedral tried to pull...

Aug 16th 2014 new
(quote) Carol-1007500 said: Thanks for the time and effort of your response, Jerry. If approved, the tower is supposed to constructed next to the first phase of mausoleums that are being built which are located in the in the side middle of the cemetery. It would be hard for visitors not to see the tower as it will monstrously stand fourteen stories high! Fortunately, many are opposing the Diocese being granted a variance for this, so hopefully it will never come to realization. Affected residents have already been given the option of contacting the bishop, along with other channels. My struggle is more about my perception that a Catholic cemetery is supposed to be a sacred resting ground, not a grossly commercial enterprise. Just doesn't seem very respectful. And a bit of cavorting with the devil.

BTW -- is this at All Saint's?

Aug 16th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: BTW -- is this at All Saint's?

Yes, I wasn't sure I could mention the name. But now that I think about it, it is public record.
Aug 16th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: It's hard to say for certain without seeing the site, but it does seem like an inappropriate location to me.

As a side not, the height of the tower isn't all that maters. Sometimes they can do a good job of hiding a tower, such as by placing it behind a barrier of trees. While the tower will be much higher than the trees, from the near ground level you wouldn't notice it unless you look up at a steep angle. They may have similar plans here.

Radio towers or not, the business practices of some Catholic cemeteries can be a real scam. You don't want to get me started on the scam Cathedral tried to pull...

They do have a plan to disguise it to be a bell tower with music - which has some even more alarmed. I didn't purposely omit this information before; I didn't want to detract from my point.
Aug 16th 2014 new
(quote) Carol-1007500 said: They do have a plan to disguise it to be a bell tower with music - which has some even more alarmed. I didn't purposely omit this information before; I didn't want to detract from my point.
Well, that might work -- I'd have to see the design.

I'm curious, do you know why hiding it in a bell tower would cause additional concern (as opposed to not accepting that it would be an improvement over a naked tower)?

Aug 16th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said:

That's what some funeral directors have told me. But the Archdiocese allows these practices and their attorneys are complicit. I wouldn't mind getting you started, Lol. The public needs to be informed.
Aug 16th 2014 new
(quote) Carol-1007500 said: Yes, I wasn't sure I could mention the name. But now that I think about it, it is public record.
That's why I asked. Anyone can Google it. The problem is that I've exceeded my Delaware Online free article quota for the month. I blew them following the saga of the sagging Interstate bridge. I remember when they built that bridge -- it's hard to believe it almost came crashing down already (although I also remember when Veteran's Stadium was built, and it's gone already...)

Posts 1 - 10 of 127