Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I would like to get your views on marriage for those who don't want children and hate photocopiers! Since this is the primary purpose of marriage, do I have to consider perpetual Singleton-ness? (Is that a word?)
Aug 17th new
What's the reason Mark? My neice married a man who did not want children. She thought she could change him but guess she couldn't. It lasted two years before she left him and married someone who did want children. I know the Church Teaching on this but I will leave it to someone else to say. Anyway what is the reason?
Aug 17th new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: I would like to get your views on marriage for those who don't want children and hate photocopiers! Since this is the primary purpose of marriage, do I have to consider perpetual Singleton-ness? (Is that a word?)
Hi Mark you have been around long enough to know the teachings of the church. If you enter into a "Sacramental Marriage" you are open to life. As my mother would say you can't plan life you have to live and what man proposes God disposes, you can't plan life you have to live it. Let's see the mileage this gets.
Aug 17th new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: I would like to get your views on marriage for those who don't want children and hate photocopiers! Since this is the primary purpose of marriage, do I have to consider perpetual Singleton-ness? (Is that a word?)
Why marry if one doesn't want to have children?
Aug 17th new
My view -- just to be clear, this is my view and thus not up for debate.

If a guy doesn't want to reproduce, that's his choice, the wanting part.

If he isn't willing to let God be in charge of this part of his life (and all the other parts for that matter) then he's not the guy for me BECAUSE I have to trust God rather than any mere mortal --myself included.

The odds of an "unplanned" pregnancy (and I loathe the term "unplanned" because God never un-plans a baby!) for me at this stage of my life are pretty slim. Doesn't mean it can't happen.

And even if it could, I won't get into details here, but even if it could happen, I would need to know that my husband was willing to accept children.

So, I'm saying he can prefer not to have children, as long as he's willing to let God be God.

And the whole unitive & procreative dual functions/purposes apply equally.

No photocopiers needed
Aug 17th new
Of course I know the teachings of the church. But I have 2 children already, aged 21 & 23. I don't share most guys obsessions with getting the youngest girl I can find. So a lady my own age, with children, would be my preferred option! Does that make me a bad guy?
Aug 17th new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: Of course I know the teachings of the church. But I have 2 children already, aged 21 & 23. I don't share most guys obsessions with getting the youngest girl I can find. So a lady my own age, with children, would be my preferred option! Does that make me a bad guy?
No, that makes you a target... not my target, but a target nonetheless.

But seriously, unless he insists on doing everything in his power to prevent or destroy children, I have no problem with a man acknowledging when the season of life for procreation has passed.

Aug 18th new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: No, that makes you a target... not my target, but a target nonetheless.

But seriously, unless he insists on doing everything in his power to prevent or destroy children, I have no problem with a man acknowledging when the season of life for procreation has passed.

A target? irked You mean middle-aged women with children will zero in on me as I'm not rejecting them in favour of a young girl? thumbsup I'll stand by the phone! clap
Aug 18th new
Please! Procreation is NOT the primary purpose of marriage -- it is one of TWO primary purposes, the other being mutual support, growth and salvation!

See Catechism of the Catholic Church, section 2363.
Aug 18th new
(quote) Mark-642218 said: A target? You mean middle-aged women with children will zero in on me as I'm not rejecting them in favour of a young girl? I'll stand by the phone!

From your lips to God's ears!

Posts 1 - 10 of 66