Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Your numero uno

Aug 17th new
(I'm into hypotheticals, if you haven't noticed).

Let's say you meet someone on CM. He or she seems to be very compatible with you. After a time of chatting, discerning, etc, you realize he/she may be "the one" so you have a heart to heart conversation about marriage.

During this conversation, he/she says, "Aside from God, I will need to be most important thing in your life."

Your reaction is:

a) of course! Duh!!! And you really mean it, too.

b) to add the disclaimer "except for my dirt bike/shoe-purse collection/weekly bar hop with friends...

c) you think to yourself that another whacko from Woodstock has flown the coop

d) agree but secretly know you will change their mind once you are married

e) excuse yourself to the bathroom and climb out the window, never to be heard from again

f) that scene from Fatal Attraction comes to mind - "I won't be ignored, Dan"

g) agree because you want to be married but the resentment begins

h) other?

Aug 17th new
(quote) Susie-550311 said: (I'm into hypotheticals, if you haven't noticed).

Let's say you meet someone on CM. He or she seems to be very compatible with you. After a time of chatting, discerning, etc, you realize he/she may be "the one" so you have a heart to heart conversation about marriage.

During this conversation, he/she says, "Aside from God, I will need to be most important thing in your life."

Your reaction is:

b) to add the disclaimer "except for my dirt bike/shoe-purse collection/weekly bar hop with friends...

e) excuse yourself to the bathroom and climb out the window, never to be heard from again

h) other?

Hi Susie,

I think I would strike the " ...need to... " before I signed on.
Aug 17th new
I think these conversations come up when someone has been ignored and abused, and this is a very important question for them.I believe in God, family, and friends, In that order. When one marries their spouse of course becomes family.These talks are actually needed because depending on past relationships, expectations and desires should be laid out if they are that serious about one another.

One must be willing to to show unconditional love for one another. In 39 years of marriage, I always tried to place my wife's needs and my daughter's need before Idid something strictly for myself.

Aug 17th new
(quote) Susie-550311 said: (I'm into hypotheticals, if you haven't noticed).

Your reaction is:

h) other?

Answer A. Can't wait for the next hypothetical question. laughing laughing
Aug 18th new
Agreed.
Aug 18th new

I have an acquaintance whose (now ex-) husband said something like that to her. What he meant was: no children, no jobs, no hobbies were to divert her attention from him. A complete Narcissist.

I would much rather that my person of interest said: after God, I will put all my attention on US.

Aug 19th new
Thanks for the great responses!

I recently read an article that was basically the reason for this post :
www.familylife.com

Thought I'd share it. I'm sure "parents" can be substituted for just about anything else that one might put before their spouse.

Posts 1 - 7 of 7