Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Please join me in praying for the people of Ferguson and the surrounding areas. The situation is heartbreaking. Please pray for peace and reconciliation.
Aug 18th 2014 new
(quote) Paige-1085077 said: Please join me in praying for the people of Ferguson and the surrounding areas. The situation is heartbreaking. Please pray for peace and reconciliation.
Indeed, they do need our prayers. My police department ethnically reflects the community which is predominantly black, and have a good relationship with the people they serve- not the case with Ferguson. I belong to a local civic association that meets regularly with the police where we air any concerns. It appears Ferguson, Missouri lacks any kind of effective community outreach. There is a clear us-versus-them disconnect there.

A related problem is the increasing militarization of police departments across the country, where they have acquired surplus armored personnel carriers and other gear associated more with the army than the police. Homeland Security initiated much of this shortly after 9/11 when paranoia ruled the day. Now they more reflect a repressive regime than a democracy. Rand Paul has taken notice:

tinyurl.com
Aug 18th 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: Indeed, they do need our prayers. My police department ethnically reflects the community which is predominantly black, and have a good relationship with the people they serve- not the case with Ferguson. I belong to a local civic association that meets regularly with the police where we air any concerns. It appears Ferguson, Missouri lacks any kind of effective community outreach. There is a clear us-versus-them disconnect there.

A related problem is the increasing militarization of police departments across the country, where they have acquired surplus armored personnel carriers and other gear associated more with the army than the police. Homeland Security initiated much of this shortly after 9/11 when paranoia ruled the day. Now they more reflect a repressive regime than a democracy. Rand Paul has taken notice:

http://tinyurl.com/nj44pvx
I agree, There seems to be a trend in this country for military style tactics, The death of the young man was a tragedy. I do, however, Have some problems with the whole protest thing. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR LOOTING AND BURNING.My daughter told me that were some social media posts that the protesters were emulating the movie purge.One other thing that disturbs me, While they were protesting in the street, The police confronted them with armed force. WHERE WERE THEY WHEN THEY WERE LOOTING THE STORES?THe most worrisome thing besides a young man losing his life, Is how easily we can descend into total anarchy. Praying theheart rosary
Posts 1 - 3 of 3