Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Caliph Ibrahim wanted his fight to be a true holy war on both sidesand his strategy seems to be succeeding, with some of the highest Christian officials calling for military action.tinyurl.com
Aug 18th 2014 new

Our generational struggle against a poisonous ideology

Writing in The Sunday Telegraph, David Cameron warns of terrorist caliphate on the shores of the Mediterranean if Islamic State succeeds

tinyurl.com
Aug 19th 2014 new
I haven't watched it and don't intend to, but CNN has apparently posted online a video of a man being beheaded -- ISIS claims the victim to be US journalist James Foley, missing since 2012. There was of course a time when such a murder would have sparked a punitive expedition, and it seems likely that this is just what ISIS wants. In fact, it's in a win-win situation; if the US responds, ISIS will draw recruits from all the America-haters; if the US does not respond, ISIS can again claim that America is a nation of cowards, a paper tiger.
I expect that many commentators will rush to assure us that ISIS is a 'perversion' of Islam. I would like to know how they know that. I am sure that there are Muslims who are disgusted by ISIS, but also millions who support them -- it's an internal Muslim dispute, and it really isn't for us to pronounce the side we like as authentically Islamic and the side we don't like (albeit for very good reasons!) as inauthentic.
Aug 21st 2014 new
No.
Aug 21st 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: I expect that many commentators will rush to assure us that ISIS is a 'perversion' of Islam. I would like to know how they know that.

If many Baptists rushed to assure gay people that the Westboro Baptists are a 'perversion' of Baptist Christianity, wouldn't the gays (and other brands of Christians, for that matter) like to know how the rushing Baptists know that? Are the WBC in fact a 'perversion' of Baptist Christianity?

The Baptists have no central authority but all use the same Scripture. The Muslims have no central authority but all use the same Scripture.

Aug 21st 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: I haven't watched it and don't intend to, but CNN has apparently posted online a video of a man being beheaded -- ISIS claims the victim to be US journalist James Foley, missing since 2012. There was of course a time when such a murder would have sparked a punitive expedition, and it seems likely that this is just what ISIS wants. In fact, it's in a win-win situation; if the US responds, ISIS will draw recruits from all the America-haters; if the US does not respond, ISIS can again claim that America is a nation of cowards, a paper tiger.
I expect that many commentators will rush to assure us that ISIS is a 'perversion' of Islam. I would like to know how they know that. I am sure that there are Muslims who are disgusted by ISIS, but also millions who support them -- it's an internal Muslim dispute, and it really isn't for us to pronounce the side we like as authentically Islamic and the side we don't like (albeit for very good reasons!) as inauthentic.
Perhaps this is progress...

8/20/14, Washingtion DC

"CAIR (Council on American-Islamic Relations) Condemns Barbaric Killing of U.S. Journalist by Terror Group ISIS"

tinyurl.com

CAIR has been quite silent, muted and wishy-washy up to this point about saying anything bad about radical Muslims. In fact, I believe that they have been investigate by the FBI for funneling money to what the U.S. would consider terrorist organizations. Maybe, just maybe they are even seeing a danger in ISIS.

Ed

Posts 1 - 6 of 6