Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Good afternoon fellow CM members! I wanted to initiate a challenge to each and every CM member on here - active, inactive - everyone. In our e-midst, there's a member with ALS (aka Lou Gehrig's Disease). I wanted to enlist everyone to show support and spread the word so that one day they can find a cure for ALS.

If you haven't heard about the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge (IBC), please see the link below:
www.alsa.org

Notable IBCers include: Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerburg, Jeff Bezos, Jimmy fallon, Taylor Swift, Oprah and many more who want to raise awareness and donate for a cure.

What's involved?
Simply Take a picture (as no video here) of being drenched from a bucket of ice AND make a $10 donation (more is better) to the ALS Association
OR
for your chickens out there who don't want to get their hair messed up and make up ruined, simply donate $100 to ALS Association and avoid the ice..........

I plan to donate and take the challenge (when I can have help) this coming weekend - so look for my IBC picture on my profile.
I NOMINATE all fellow CMers to also take the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge!!!

Susie biggrin

[[STAFF NOTE: Please remember to keep the CatholicMatch photo guidelines for modesty in mind when posting your photos. This means no shirtless photos or bikini photos can be accepted.]]
Aug 19th new
(quote) Susie-890857 said: $10 donation (more is better) to the ALS Association

Hi Susie!

As much as I love spreading awareness and encouraging donations to help cure debilitating diseases, please be careful who you donate to! The ALS Association supports embryonic stem cell research which, as Catholics, we should be morally opposed to as their source is fertilized embryos (babies!) that are created but never given the chance to live. Might I suggest that a better charity to donate to would be the John Paul II Medical Research Institute that also carries out ALS research, but uses adult stem cell (harder to come by, but morally acceptable and able to do the same kinds of research with). In fact, they are currently in the midst of a capital campaign to fund just this kind of research! So, as I've been challenged but have no opportunity to photograph myself with a bucket of ice water (and as we're in adrought, I'd rather not have the water police on my case!), I will make my donation to the JP2MRI and invite the rest of the CM community to do the same!

www.jp2mri.org

Aug 19th new
(quote) Susie-890857 said: Good afternoon fellow CM members! I wanted to initiate a challenge to each and every CM member on here - active, inactive - everyone. In our e-midst, there's a member with ALS (aka Lou Gehrig's Disease). I wanted to enlist everyone to show support and spread the word so that one day they can find a cure for ALS.

If you haven't heard about the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge (IBC), please see the link below:
http://www.alsa.org/news/archive/ice-bucket-challenge.html

Notable IBCers include: Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerburg, Jeff Bezos, Jimmy fallon, Taylor Swift, Oprah and many more who want to raise awareness and donate for a cure.

What's involved?
Simply Take a picture (as no video here) of being drenched from a bucket of ice AND make a $10 donation (more is better) to the ALS Association
OR
for your chickens out there who don't want to get their hair messed up and make up ruined, simply donate $100 to ALS Association and avoid the ice..........

I plan to donate and take the challenge (when I can have help) this coming weekend - so look for my IBC picture on my profile.
I NOMINATE all fellow CMers to also take the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge!!!

Susie

[[STAFF NOTE: Please remember to keep the CatholicMatch photo guidelines for modesty in mind when posting your photos. This means no shirtless photos or bikini photos can be accepted.]]
Are you aware that Patheos and LifeNews are warning Catholics/Christians about the Ice Bucket Challenge because donations may be used toward embryonic stem cell research? Here are a couple articles for your review:

Attention Pro-Lifers: Be Careful Where You Send Your ALS Ice Bucket Challenge Donation www.lifenews.com.

What's Wrong with the ALS Ice Box Challenge? www.patheos.com
Aug 19th new
This is a great resource to bookmark!

Listing of Charitable Organizations and their Positions on the Life Issues

www.all.org
Aug 19th new
(quote) Cynthia-988173 said:
http://www.jp2mri.org/capital-campaign.htm

Thanks for the information - and I STILL challenge each and every CMer to take the IBC and donate to JP2 Med Research - thanks to Cynthia, the link is above!!! So - folks won't get away that easy - as Cynthia still donated so come on fellow members, let's help find a cure for Lou Gehrig's Disease!!! I'm posting my pics this weekend after I have help to take the shot and prove I took the IBC

Susie
Aug 27th new

As the ladies have pointed out, we as Catholics have a great responsibility to recognize the human person and act accordingly.

Below is an excerpt from the latest article on the subject:

Why I Said No to the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Embryonic Stem Cell Research Is Deadly

By Deacon Keith A Fournier

8/27/2014 (Now)

Catholic Online (http://www.catholic.org)

I was approached to take the Ice Bucket Challenge to help bring an end to ALS. I said No. I have tried to explain why I said No in this article. I hope it is a helpful contribution in our public discussion. As a Christian, it is never easy to be seen as seemingly unwilling to support a noble cause such as the eradication of a debilitating disease. However, it is vital that we stand for the fundamental and foundational moral truth which underlies every effort to end disease, the dignity of every human person, including embryonic human persons. Embryonic stem cell research always takes the life of an embryonic person by extracting the stem cells. One cannot do evil to accomplish good.

At first glance, it seems so right...

However, there is a serious moral problem. It must not be swept under the rug. The ALS Association uses some of the funds raised in its work to fund embryonic stem cell research. One simply cannot do evil to accomplish good. The moral error of consequentialism is one of the oldest of moral errors. It is running rampant these days, even within some Christian communities.

It was exposed by the Apostle Paul in his letter to the Romans (Romans 3:7-8) and is the clear, unbroken tradition of the Christian Church. In its profound treatment of the Morality of Human Acts (Par. 1749-1761) the Catholic Catechism affirms the principle of morality that the end does not justify the means. "An evil action cannot be justified by reference to a good intention" (cf. St. Thomas Aquinas, Dec. praec. 6). The end does not justify the means." (par. 1751)

Diocese of Richmond Statement on Participation in ALS "Ice Bucket Challenge"

Over the last few weeks, in an attempt to raise awareness about the debilitating disease of ALS, people around our Diocese and throughout the country have participated in the "Ice Bucket Challenge." This challenge invites people to make donations to a charity of their choice to support further research to treat and cure ALS. The ALS Association is the largest organization researching this disease.

Catholics may not be aware that the ALS Association uses embryonic stem cell research to research the cause, treatment and possible cure of the disease. Because it involves the destruction of human life, embryonic stem cell research is contrary to the moral teaching of the Catholic Church, which upholds the dignity of human life at every stage of development. Catholics and Catholic organizations cannot morally contribute to this kind of research.

However, the Diocese does support research to treat and find a cure for this debilitating disease. As Catholics we insist that this research must recognize the sanctity of all human life. We ask that Catholics participating in the "Ice Bucket Challenge" donate their financial contributions to pro-life research groups, such as the John Paul II Medical Research Institute in Iowa City, Iowa, which uses adult stem cell research. This method of research is morally acceptable, because it does not involve the destruction of human life.

Full text available at www.catholiconline.org

Posts 1 - 6 of 6