Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

You are in church and a very attractive comes into your pew or sit in front of or behind you. You notice that the person does not wear a ring. When and what kind of questions would you ask to get the ball rolling?
Aug 18th new
Attractive person...oops
Aug 19th new
(quote) Khoa-813439 said: You are in church and a very attractive comes into your pew or sit in front of or behind you. You notice that the person does not wear a ring. When and what kind of questions would you ask to get the ball rolling?
"Come here often?"
or
"What's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?"

Just kidding. It would be rather awkward to hit on someone in church, I think, and I have to admit I don't think it's really appropriate to talk until after Mass. However, most people bolt as soon as they can, so you might have to be quick. You could smile and say "Hi" and if she doesn't bolt continue the conversation from there, possibly. But it would be a lot easier to introduce yourself at coffee after Mass (if your church has it and she goes to it) or at practically any other church event.

Aug 19th new

Been there, done that. Three different occasions I started a little conversation, to which he (same man) responded in a friendly and courteous manner. Even ran into him at a coffee shop and he was pleasant.
But it didn't do me a bit of good in the long run....

OTOH, I have a friend who was approached by a lady after Mass, and it resulted in a two-year relationship.

Aug 19th new
Pay attention to the readings and homily, then strategically maneuver so when Mass has ended he/she can't escape before you have a chance to smile, say Hi and offer a comment about the readings or homily. Not a complaint or technical nit picking comment, but something so compelling and insightful the attractive will invite (or accept your invitation) you to coffee.
God speed
Aug 19th new
(quote) Khoa-813439 said: You are in church and a very attractive comes into your pew or sit in front of or behind you. You notice that the person does not wear a ring. When and what kind of questions would you ask to get the ball rolling?
I don't go to church to look at people so I wouldn't notice if someone attractive wore a ring or not. And definitely not if the person sat behind me or next to me. I would feel uncomfortable if someone would check my hands during Mass and I'd instinctively think that the person is not there for God but for wife-hunting, and thus I wouldn't be interested anyway. There is a very easy way for men to see if a woman in church is unmarried though, and that is if she wears a white veil (black veils means the woman is married or widowed).

I would never ask a man anything after Mass. That is totally up to him if he is interested in me. Unfortunately, those who have started to talk to me have been rather creepy.
I think the best way would be to invite a woman to after church activity when he is in a group. I would feel more comfortable that way.
Aug 19th new
Try to initiate a conversation after mass,outside the church.
Aug 19th new
I think is unfair to immediately assume someone is "spouse shopping" if they look at your hands. If I find someone attractive, at Church or not, I will often try to see if they are wearing a ring. Its a common sense thing to do. What's the alternative? The alternative is not seeing if they are wearing a ring, asking them for coffee or if they want to attend some parish function and it being really awkward and having them think "come on, I'm wearing a wedding ring, how come they didn't notice?"
Aug 19th new
OTOH = On the other hand or does it mean something else?
Aug 19th new
(quote) Jesse-536824 said: I think is unfair to immediately assume someone is "spouse shopping" if they look at your hands. If I find someone attractive, at Church or not, I will often try to see if they are wearing a ring. Its a common sense thing to do. What's the alternative? The alternative is not seeing if they are wearing a ring, asking them for coffee or if they want to attend some parish function and it being really awkward and having them think "come on, I'm wearing a wedding ring, how come they didn't notice?"
Why would someone be looking at my hands during Mass? It's not me who should be the focuse of someones attention, but God should get all the attention inside His own house.

Plus you will probably see a married woman with her husband if you see her often in church. It's unusual for a woman to go to Mass with a man unless they have a romantic interest in each other (or is her brother or cousin maybe, which you can probably notice if you look at how they interact non-verbally).
Posts 1 - 10 of 59