Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

I'm suffering now-guess my bad habit of falling asleep on the couch caught up with me-just wide awake. Hate to sleep in really late but I suppose that's in my future now.😒
Aug 20th new
(quote) Carol-979839 said: I'm suffering now-guess my bad habit of falling asleep on the couch caught up with me-just wide awake. Hate to sleep in really late but I suppose that's in my future now.😒
I wish I had an answer for it. I have a prescription but hate taking it, especially when you have to have at least eight hours to sleep to do so. :-(. I like to tell myself that when I finally finish up the dissertation this semester things will be better, but the truth is, I have always had insomnia, so it probably won't get any better lol. . .
Aug 20th new
Melatonin works great, a natural supplement, a few drops under your tongue and you are good to go, no side effects to boot, actually sometimes praying the Rosary works for me too, something soothing and calming about the cadence of the prayers knocks me out too...hope this works.
Aug 20th new
You know, I used to lie awake at night worrying about the same thing
Aug 20th new
(quote) Carol-979839 said: I'm suffering now-guess my bad habit of falling asleep on the couch caught up with me-just wide awake. Hate to sleep in really late but I suppose that's in my future now.😒
I try sleeping until it goes away.
My lifes motto is.....Eat until you're tired, sleep until you're hungry.
Aug 20th new
At last, a subject I actually know something about, having been very prone to insomnia since my wife passed away in 2009.
I can get eight consecutive hours of sleep only if I drug myself or if I let myself get so exhausted over a few nights that I basically collapse...not good.
The prescription drug, which I try to use very sparingly to avoid dependence, is Zopiclone (aka Imovane).
I will alternate this with valerian (smells awful but works reasonably well and is 'natural') or any antihistamine that induces drowsiness. Have tried melatonin in the past and will try it again soon.
When you wake up at night it does take some discipline not to think about undone tasks and so on...once you start cycling through your to-do list it's all over, might as well just get up regardless of what time it is.Concentrating on one's breathing (sometimes in conjunction with a simple prayer like the Jesus prayer) can be of some help in banishing thoughts.
I suppose everyone's heard that looking at a computer screen within an hour of turning in is supposed to be very bad for one's sleep mechanism. Alcohol is bad too - it may put you to sleep but it will wake you later.
Looking at the clock is a bad idea - if you wake up and see that it's 5:30 a.m., good luck getting back to sleep for that last hour or so.
I'm also told that telling yourself how well and deeply you are going to sleep may have some beneficial effect though I usually don't think to do it.
Reading something very dull can help too...I used to keep a copy of the Condominium Act by my bed for just this purpose.
Aug 20th new
Try watching the movie "The Battleship Potemkin"
www.youtube.com

Aug 20th new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: Try watching the movie "The Battleship Potemkin"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TgWoSHUn8c

I actually like "Potemkin". Are you sure you weren't thinking of "The Monolith Monsters"?
www.youtube.com
Premise: these big crystals grow in the desert and then....they fall over!

Aug 20th new
I feel fortunate that insomnia only comes infrequently. If I eat too late, have anything with caffeine after 2pm, or watch an unsettling movie or T.V. show it happens. I use aromatherapy, such as lavender, and also a lotion called Peace Lotion made by Earth Therapeutics. Reading sometimes helps too. My daughter has restless legs sometimes at night and takes a magnesium supplement. She also has good result with melatonin. Or, as these two sang so long ago....youtu.be

Aug 20th new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: I actually like "Potemkin". Are you sure you weren't thinking of "The Monolith Monsters"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oeiaED_0WE
Premise: these big crystals grow in the desert and then....they fall over!

That's probably the last "horror movie" I ever watched! Battleship Potemkin put my naval history loving middle kid right out!
Posts 1 - 10 of 48