Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Mayor de Blasio's indecent proposal
thebostonpilot.com

Just reading this, I feel shamefully naked, stripped of everything Catholic. Some excerpts:

"The new mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio, has recently begun a big and well-financed push for universal prekindergarten education...The effort is going to require a lot of help from private schools...But here's the rub: The city has issued rules about how religious schools must conduct their business if they want to participate."

"...unless it is impracticable, schools would be required to remove or cover up religious signs, names and symbols at the school entrance, and also in classrooms and other areas where the pre-K students are taught."

"Religious instruction would be forbidden. Schools could use the Bible in class, but it would have to be presented 'objectively as part of a secular program of instruction.'"

................ The author proposes a better solution..................

Aug 20th new

Well, he is a genuine liberal and progressive and I think he would appreciate
if religion were out of the picture.

I am not surprised by this. I am sure it will be challenged in court.

Interesting Post, thanks.

Aug 20th new
(quote) Kathleen-878558 said: Mayor de Blasio's indecent proposal
http://thebostonpilot.com/article.asp?Source=we&ID=171718

Just reading this, I feel shamefully naked, stripped of everything Catholic. Some excerpts:

"The new mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio, has recently begun a big and well-financed push for universal prekindergarten education...The effort is going to require a lot of help from private schools...But here's the rub: The city has issued rules about how religious schools must conduct their business if they want to participate."

"...unless it is impracticable, schools would be required to remove or cover up religious signs, names and symbols at the school entrance, and also in classrooms and other areas where the pre-K students are taught."

"Religious instruction would be forbidden. Schools could use the Bible in class, but it would have to be presented 'objectively as part of a secular program of instruction.'"

Why would any parent want to send their kid to prekindergarten school in the first place?
Secular government indoctrination starts way too early.
Aug 20th new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: Secular government indoctrination starts way too early.
I agree.
Aug 20th new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Well, he is a genuine liberal and progressive and I think he would appreciate
if religion were out of the picture.

I am not surprised by this. I am sure it will be challenged in court.

Interesting Post, thanks.

I don't know Marianne. Could it be challenged in court? I mean, it is a secular organization and they can set their own rules..... Or am I wrong? Can Catholic schools not give in though, especially given that money is at play?
Aug 20th new
(quote) Kathleen-878558 said: I don't know Marianne. Could it be challenged in court? I mean, it is a secular organization and they can set their own rules..... Or am I wrong? Can Catholic schools not give in though, especially given that money is at play?

Kathleen:

Somehow I am skeptical of the article because as someone who went to
Catholic Schools in New York State, we were always somewhat
subsided by the Government yet we had prayers and statues, etc.

We have to wait and see. I don't think they can strip the Catholic
schools of their art forms ( eyepopping ) because they already have
Pre K set up using them.

Aug 20th new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: Why would any parent want to send their kid to prekindergarten school in the first place?
Secular government indoctrination starts way too early.
Personally, I think one of its functions is for babysitting for NYC's working
Moms.
Aug 20th new
(quote) Kathleen-878558 said: Mayor de Blasio's indecent proposal
http://thebostonpilot.com/article.asp?Source=we&ID=171718

There would be restrictions, yes, but most Catholic institutions need the money; and there is always the hope of making a positive influence on the children and their parents. Catholics increasingly making allies with the public is the wave of the future. No money, no mission. I know it is like comparing apples to oranges, but what about the increasing popularity of the Catholic Church being paid by big business to put skyscraper-height cell towers in their cemeteries? It sure seems to me that the CC has been redefining "sacred" to help their financial balance. two cents
Aug 20th new
(quote) Kathleen-878558 said: I don't know Marianne. Could it be challenged in court? I mean, it is a secular organization and they can set their own rules..... Or am I wrong? Can Catholic schools not give in though, especially given that money is at play?

Very honestly, this is not just about babysitting, said Ms. Faria, who explained the general goals of the initiative.

All children by the end of second grade will be reading on grade level, that all seventh graders will be socially, emotionally and academically ready for high school and that all tenth graders will be college ready and work force ready, she said. If we are going to be able to accomplish that we know that UPK gives us a whole other year of readiness and it really is crucial.

Read more at observer.com
--------------------------------

Kathleen, Ms. Farina is head of NYC Schools, appointed by DeBlazio.

When I read this, I think she must be on Koolaid. Public Schools in America
are the worst they have been. Apparently this common core strive is not
a good idea either. If schools were doing well, they would teach classics
and teach them the classical way. No need for new math, or old new math.

Aug 20th new
(quote) Carol-1007500 said: There would be restrictions, yes, but most Catholic institutions need the money; and there is always the hope of making a positive influence on the children and their parents. Catholics increasingly making allies with the public is the wave of the future. No money, no mission. I know it is like comparing apples to oranges, but what about the increasing popularity of the Catholic Church being paid by big business to put skyscraper-height cell towers in their cemeteries? It sure seems to me that the CC has been redefining "sacred" to help their financial balance.
And how do you propose they are going to have a positive influence if they are forced to leave God out of the picture?

You don't take money from the devil, no matter how badly you need it. Have faith in God, and God will provide.

Posts 1 - 10 of 23