Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

(Reuters) - The sophistication, wealth and military might of Islamic State militants represent a major threat to the United States that may surpass that once posed by al Qaeda, U.S. military leaders said on Thursday.

"They are an imminent threat to every interest we have, whether it's in Iraq or anywhere else," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told reporters at the Pentagon.

www.reuters.com
Aug 21st new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said:

(Reuters) - The sophistication, wealth and military might of Islamic State militants represent a major threat to the United States that may surpass that once posed by al Qaeda.

Chuck Hagel needs to calm down. It doesn't take much sophistication to saw off a man's head with a grapefruit knife. ISIS looks successful right now because they're fighting mostly poorly trained and equipped enemies. And they're making the "Hitler mistake", collecting enemies in such numbers as to lay up huge trouble for themselves later on.
Aug 21st new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Chuck Hagel needs to calm down. It doesn't take much sophistication to saw off a man's head with a grapefruit knife. ISIS looks successful right now because they're fighting mostly poorly trained and equipped enemies. And they're making the "Hitler mistake", collecting enemies in such numbers as to lay up huge trouble for themselves later on.
So we should do nothing?
Aug 21st new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Chuck Hagel needs to calm down. It doesn't take much sophistication to saw off a man's head with a grapefruit knife. ISIS looks successful right now because they're fighting mostly poorly trained and equipped enemies. And they're making the "Hitler mistake", collecting enemies in such numbers as to lay up huge trouble for themselves later on.
When the only significant weapon your enemy has is terror, they are quite weak. They will give us their best shot while the Vacationer is president. Our next president might not be so "accommodating!"
Wanna feel safer? Read Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Our SEALS are beyond awesome.
Aug 21st new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: So we should do nothing?
No, I meant only that whatever we do should not be done in a spirit of panic. The more we praise the 'wealth, sophistication and might' of ISIS, the more we sound like a gaggle of little girls and the more we feed these psycho's egos. They can't buy publicity like that, and it will only attract more sad losers to their colors.
As to what we should do, other than heading off atrocities, I'm not sure. The more ISIS grows, the more Iran and the House of Saud have to be concerned about them. That may not be a bad thing.
Aug 21st new

(Reuters) - The sophistication, wealth and military might of Islamic State militants represent a major threat to the United States that may surpass that once posed by al Qaeda, U.S. military leaders said on Thursday.

"They are an imminent threat to every interest we have, whether it's in Iraq or anywhere else," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told reporters at the Pentagon.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/21/us-usa-islamicstate-idUSKBN0GL24V20140821
First of all, Some of their equipment is stolen US equipment. secondly the Iraqi army is doing very little, (we trained their army). Thirdly Had we we not destroyed their country and deposed their(yes, Ruthless) leader, These fundamentalist would have not gotten a foothold, Saddam for all his evil attributes, was a secular leader and viewed these people as a threat, This is an object lesson in bad foreign policy.
Aug 21st new
"Jihadists holding US journalist James Foley wanted a $132m (80m) ransom for his release, his employer has said".
So we can add 'greedy and stupid' to the description.
Actually, this is one of those few occasions where I am actually inclined to blame the Israelis. These one-sided prisoner swaps (1000 Palestinians for one Israeli and so on) have accustomed the jihadists to think of us as pushovers. I'd prefer to play it the other way: "You kill one more journalist, and we kill 1,000 of you".
Aug 22nd new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: "Jihadists holding US journalist James Foley wanted a $132m (80m) ransom for his release, his employer has said".
So we can add 'greedy and stupid' to the description.
Actually, this is one of those few occasions where I am actually inclined to blame the Israelis. These one-sided prisoner swaps (1000 Palestinians for one Israeli and so on) have accustomed the jihadists to think of us as pushovers. I'd prefer to play it the other way: "You kill one more journalist, and we kill 1,000 of you".
The seemingly unsolvable and intractable problems that exist in the whole Middle East makes me too often think that the best solution is to carpet bomb the entire area with nukes and send those who are left all back to the stone age.

Obviously, that is not a valid or moral solution, but in frustration one cannot help but feel it.
Aug 22nd new

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/21/us-usa-islamicstate-idUSKBN0GL24V20140821

This whole Islamic scenario is scaring me to death with their possible cells
in the US.

I don't know how they are funded, but apparently they have a good deal of
Money and that is key for a realistic threat.

I really wish they would close the border, sooner than later. ISIS is
racking up enemies and we are one of them. And now we are bombing
the heck out of them for more retaliation.

We need to protect this country, and I think we have a responsibility to
help out in Iraq. "When you help someone, they are yours for life." I
heard that saying, and I don't know where it is from.

Aug 22nd new

But what about the large amount of money they have? That can make them a
substantial threat

Posts 1 - 10 of 114