Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

What are your feelings about a person's profile pics in which the person has an angry, mean, insane and/or disapproving facial expression? What actions do you take when you see these profiles with these types of pics?

I feel it's best for a person's pics to show him/her as friendly, approachable, interesting, engaged in life and perhaps create a bit of intrigue to prompt the viewer to read the person's profile and to send him/her a message that expresses interest.

Aug 22nd new
(quote) Bridget-884672 said:

What are your feelings about a person's profile pics in which the person has an angry, mean, insane and/or disapproving facial expression? What actions do you take when you see these profiles with these types of pics?

I feel it's best for a person's pics to show him/her as friendly, approachable, interesting, engaged in life and perhaps create a bit of intrigue to prompt the viewer to read the person's profile and to send him/her a message that expresses interest.

I wonder what they could be thinking! But then, I cut off my head so who am I to speak?
Aug 22nd new
(quote) Kathy-635104 said: I wonder what they could be thinking! But then, I cut off my head so who am I to speak?
Just the top of your head, Kathy. It sends the message that you're open minded. Well played, I say.

As I posted in the pinkie room recently, at some point in the past I encountered a profile picture (not saying it was on CM because I don't remember) which appeared to be that of an escaped mental patient. Upon viewing his other pictures, he was a nice-looking man. So why did he select the wrong picture for his profile picture??? Because he doesn't have a woman in his life to help him select the correct picture, that's why! It's a dilemma similar to that of a person attempting to make a pot of coffee before the first cup of coffee in the morning. Or trying to find your glasses when you don't have your glasses. A man needs a woman to help him select a flattering picture to attract a woman. It just can't be done.
Aug 22nd new
Yes I think those folk are camera shy. It doesn't hurt to get someone else to chose your pic. You need to be smilling. I see pics where it looks like someone has just given them a fright.
Aug 22nd new
(quote) Susan-1048377 said: Just the top of your head, Kathy. It sends the message that you're open minded. Well played, I say.

As I posted in the pinkie room recently, at some point in the past I encountered a profile picture (not saying it was on CM because I don't remember) which appeared to be that of an escaped mental patient. Upon viewing his other pictures, he was a nice-looking man. So why did he select the wrong picture for his profile picture??? Because he doesn't have a woman in his life to help him select the correct picture, that's why! It's a dilemma similar to that of a person attempting to make a pot of coffee before the first cup of coffee in the morning. Or trying to find your glasses when you don't have your glasses. A man needs a woman to help him select a flattering picture to attract a woman. It just can't be done.
That is why I feel blessed to have a daughter who is an amateur photographer, I honestly think If I had had anyone else take or done a selfie, They would look much worse than they do. laughing
Aug 22nd new
Hello, Bridget. I'm Bridgid.

VERY interesting thread discussion :)

The picture I have up now, is kind of not as "good" as the other ones I have on the profile itself, save for one. The current icon is actually not the one I wanted. My friend refused to let me put a less attractive picture for my icon. I negotiated the one I have now.

Here's the thing.

I can see what merit there is in having an approachable, sweet, and kindly looking picture. I think for the most part, one would want something that doesn't "scare" someone off. I get that, and I'm glad people want to do that.

However, I rather not. :P

Honestly, I don't like the idea that pictures can have that swaying effect. The first impression someone gets is important, but, we all already know that old phrase about books and their covers. I thought I'd give my book an ugly or annoying cover, and see who had the guts to read it anyway. I think pictures are fun, and I have some. I just want anyone who spends too much time on how the first icon looks, go away immediately.

If they glimpse it, form an idea, and stick with to just skip it over, not willing to see past that to read what I have written, then by all means, may they leave my profile very much alone.

This is how I view it, however, and when I have seen goofy/weird/insane pics, or no icon at all, I just click anyway to see who it is who put it up. To read who they are, instead of making an assumption about the image, and not letting the image put me off.

They can have any reason to make it look funky, and this reason I have explained, is my own. :P

^_^ Love your name. Just want to throw that out there.
Aug 23rd new
(quote) Bridget-884672 said:

No Pic, No Problem. laughing
Aug 23rd new
A few pics, with some of you at your most attractive and approachable best, and others when you're in your more off-putting mode and mood, would seem to be the most honest. No one is either the best or worst version of themselves, after all.
Aug 23rd new
What to do, by the way, if your natural expression is not a smile, and you feel insincere when doing so simply for a picture?
Aug 23rd new
I get your sentiment on this issue, there needs to be a better filter here of what pictures are allowed, and which ones are not. Yes, pictures here should show happy faces, and happy times with family and friends. It lends itself to make the person more approachable. If one is frowning or mad, then it tells us, something is not right with this person.
Posts 1 - 10 of 37