Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

For the record I have been praying the Rosary for up to 75 years. Sometimes every day, some times weekly and sometimes weeks go bye without even touching the beads.

Of course we all know the 4 sets of mysteries and they are said for specific reasons. Each of the mysteries offer great meditation themes and are useful to the individual.

I have, however found that for myself that I have been drifting off message during recitation due to conditions beyond my control. By that I mean environment, noise and the ever present wandering and active mind.

I am trying to figure out how to stay on message during our Tuesdays Rosary at Church and my honor of leading the Rosary before evening Mass on Saturday. Needless to say I find myself drifting off into space and I question if the prayer repetition has made the prayer boring or moot.

For me personally I have found that with my evening Rosary I do not cite any of the 4 mystery segmets rather infuse my family into the life and times of Jesus. I think of my kids playing with Him and wonder how The Blessed Mother would disipline Jesus when He sassed Her or how she treated one of His boo-boo's. What songs did She sing to him. How did She treat Him during His years as a young child.

Did the Blessed mother participate in local gossip at the well with other neighbors. When and how did She beat the clothes on a rock for laundry work. Did Jesus assist her in household duties? At what age did She turn Jesus over to Joseph for His input in His development?

This exercise of inplanting my family with that of joseph and Mary has given me a renewed excitement and awareness of how I view the Rosary. It removes the outside distractions and I find it comforting and it is very rewarding and joyful to be there at those moments of the early life and development of Jesus. It gives me the illusion of being there with them and knowing them on the ground floor long before His ministry began.

Do any of our wonderful CM members have other methods of meditation that can enhance the spirit and rewards of praying the Rosary?

God love and protect all

Be safe, be happy and be in love

Philip

Aug 26th new
I pray it according to this page (which I have printed out), in Latin:

www.fisheaters.com
The first few times when I switched to Latin I was more focused. But now that I know it by heart it gets harder to focuse. I start to think of other things. I generally have difficulties concentrating, not just in prayer, but when reading and listening also. So I'd be happy to get some advice on how to stay focused when praying.

Aug 29th new
I also use Fisheaters when praying the rosary. Reading the optional Scripture and Readings (on the site) helps me a lot when pondering and reflecting on the mysteries. It gives me that focus when meditating.

When I had read the book 'The Secret of the Rosary' by St Louis Marie de Mountfort it taught me alot also.

127- Taken from 'The Secret of the Rosary'

'Dear friend of the Confraternity, I beg you to restrain your natural precipitation when saying your Rosary, and make some pauses in the middle of the Our Father and Hail Mary, and a smaller one after the words of the Our Father and Hail Mary which I have marked with a cross, as follows:

Our Father who art in heaven, + hallowed by thy name, + thy kingdom come, + thy will be done + on earth as it is in heaven. + Give us this day + our daily bread, + and forgive us our trespasses + as we forgive those who trespass against us, + and lead us not into temptation, + but deliver us from evil. Amen.
+
Hail, Mary, full of grace, + the Lord is with thee, + blessed art thou among women, + and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. +
Holy Mary, Mother of God, + pray for us sinners, now + and at the hour of our death. Amen. +

At first, you may find it difficult to make these pauses because of your bad habit of saying prayers in a hurry; but a decade said recollectedly in this way will be worth more than thousands of Rosaries said in a hurry, without pausing or reflecting.'
End of quotation

Carolina, do you pray by yourself or with other people?

This way of praying (groups) is of the greatest benefit to us:
1 because our minds are usually more alert during public prayer than when we pray alone;
2 when we pray in common, the prayer of each one belongs to the whole group and make all together butone prayer, so that if one person is not praying well, someone else in the same gathering who is praying better makes up for his deficiency. In the same way, those who are strong uphold the weak, those who are fervent inspire the lukewarm, the rich enrich the poor, the bad are merged with the good.

That above paragraph is taken from 'The Secret of the Rosary'.
Aug 29th new
I generally find the Rosary soporific, so it works best if I walk while praying it: at the beach, or through a residential area...and nearly always barefoot.
Aug 29th new
"How do you pray the Rosary?"

One bead at a time. laughing
Aug 29th new
(quote) Brett-848238 said: "How do you pray the Rosary?"

One bead at a time.

Ain't that the truth! The Channel EWTN has the rosary with Mother Angelica on twice daily and you can also order the DVD-it is great as it has pictures(which help with the contemplation of the mysteries and beautiful music appropriate throughout.

Aug 29th new
(quote) Jeremiah-906829 said: I also use Fisheaters when praying the rosary. Reading the optional Scripture and Readings (on the site) helps me a lot when pondering and reflecting on the mysteries. It gives me that focus when meditating.
When I had read the book 'The Secret of the Rosary' by St Louis Marie de Mountfort it taught me alot also.
127- Taken from 'The Secret of the Rosary'
'Dear friend of the Confraternity, I beg you to restrain your natural precipitation when saying your Rosary, and make some pauses in the middle of the Our Father and Hail Mary, and a smaller one after the words of the Our Father and Hail Mary which I have marked with a cross, as follows:
Our Father who art in heaven, + hallowed by thy name, + thy kingdom come, + thy will be done + on earth as it is in heaven. + Give us this day + our daily bread, + and forgive us our trespasses + as we forgive those who trespass against us, + and lead us not into temptation, + but deliver us from evil. Amen.+Hail, Mary, full of grace, + the Lord is with thee, + blessed art thou among women, + and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. +Holy Mary, Mother of God, + pray for us sinners, now + and at the hour of our death. Amen. +
At first, you may find it difficult to make these pauses because of your bad habit of saying prayers in a hurry; but a decade said recollectedly in this way will be worth more than thousands of Rosaries said in a hurry, without pausing or reflecting.'End of quotation
Carolina, do you pray by yourself or with other people?
This way of praying (groups) is of the greatest benefit to us: 1 because our minds are usually more alert during public prayer than when we pray alone; 2 when we pray in common, the prayer of each one belongs to the whole group and make all together butone prayer, so that if one person is not praying well, someone else in the same gathering who is praying better makes up for his deficiency. In the same way, those who are strong uphold the weak, those who are fervent inspire the lukewarm, the rich enrich the poor, the bad are merged with the good.
That above paragraph is taken from 'The Secret of the Rosary'.
Thank you! I will try that. I hardly ever pray in groups because I am so used to only praying in Latin it gets difficult to switch to other languages. I firmly believe that praying in Latin is more powerful.
Aug 29th new
Hi Philip,
I like your idea very much.
I use a booklet published by the Catholic book publishing Company that has a reflection between each of the Hail Mary's. This makes it easier for me to stay focused. Another recommendation from the booklet is to add a reflection after saying Jesus in each Hail Mary. For example: ..........thy womb Jesus, who washed the feet of the Apostles at the last supper. The full Hail Mary is said just once in each decade.

I also like the suggestion of using Latin - although mine is quite rusty.
God bless
Bernadette
Aug 29th new
I just recently returned home from a week long camping adventure throughout several beautiful provincial parks in Nova Scotia and each night I paused in the beauty of nature to pray. But in the evening, when I typically say the Rosary at home, i found myself saying the Rosary in the beauteous darkness of the wilderness in front of the campfire. It was exceptionally helpful in allowing me to block out everything around me and to meditate as I prayed to Our Lady. I'm not sure if it was the stillness of the night, the chill in the air, the warmth from the fire, crackling sounds and the mystery that abounded (probably a mix of them all) but I found myself this evening in my back yard lighting a small bonfire and saying the Rosary there!
Also as I think someone else mentioned, I often say the Rosary when I take my dog out for a walk and have been known to say it down by the lake at sunset too. Perhaps just being in nature it seems is my special way to say it :)

Aug 29th new
(quote) Jeremiah-906829 said:
Our Father who art in heaven, + hallowed by thy name, + thy kingdom come, + thy will be done + on earth as it is in heaven. + Give us this day + our daily bread, + and forgive us our trespasses + as we forgive those who trespass against us, + and lead us not into temptation, + but deliver us from evil. Amen.+Hail, Mary, full of grace, + the Lord is with thee, + blessed art thou among women, + and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. +Holy Mary, Mother of God, + pray for us sinners, now + and at the hour of our death. Amen. +

I feel that one of the tragedies of being an English-speaking Catholic is the fact that some of the words in these prayers rhyme. To me, pausing as marked above makes it a recitation, not a dialogue.

Here's how I, personally, prefer to say them:

Our Father +
Who art in Heaven +
hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. +
Thy Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. +
Give us this day our daily bread +
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. +
Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.

Hail, Mary full of grace. The Lord is with thee. +
Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb +
Jesus. +
Holy Mary, mother of God +
pray for us sinners +
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Posts 1 - 10 of 11