Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Ok I had dogs all my life. Recently, I lost my 16 year old American Eskimo and was devastated. Since I'm by myself, I cannot have a dog so I adopted two kittens. They are so hyper and every time I eat something, they'll be in my face meowing. I thought that only dogs beg? So I threw them a piece of pork thinking that cats will never eat it but guess what? They gobble that up! What the heck? What should I do? I don't think human food is healthy for them...especially that they are cats!?
Aug 28th new
(quote) Khoa-813439 said: Ok I had dogs all my life. Recently, I lost my 16 year old American Eskimo and was devastated. Since I'm by myself, I cannot have a dog so I adopted two kittens. They are so hyper and every time I eat something, they'll be in my face meowing. I thought that only dogs beg? So I threw them a piece of pork thinking that cats will never eat it but guess what? They gobble that up! What the heck? What should I do? I don't think human food is healthy for them...especially that they are cats!?
Yes, Khoa, a lot of cats love pork, chicken, shrimp, etc. I am not a veterinarian, but human food in moderation is great per my cats. Many are dog-like. Mine greet me the door upon my return home. You have to work harder to earn the love of a cat, but when so, they are loyal. Though I love dogs, too, can't imagine a home without cats. smile
Aug 28th new
(quote) Khoa-813439 said: Ok I had dogs all my life. Recently, I lost my 16 year old American Eskimo and was devastated. Since I'm by myself, I cannot have a dog so I adopted two kittens. They are so hyper and every time I eat something, they'll be in my face meowing. I thought that only dogs beg? So I threw them a piece of pork thinking that cats will never eat it but guess what? They gobble that up! What the heck? What should I do? I don't think human food is healthy for them...especially that they are cats!?
Hi Khoa,

All in moderation. Please, my cat loves shrimp or seafood of any kind, as well as bbq chicken. Does he get table scraps every day? Nope-only every so often. He's perfectly content after that and doesn't bug anyone.

As for only dogs begging-ha! Not a chance.

Regarding your cats meowing in your face: until you are scared out of your mind in the middle of the night as you awake to two eyes staring you in the face as the rest of the furball sits on your chest....you ain't seen nothing!!!!

Good luck with the kittens!
Aug 28th new
Be careful.
It sounds like they're already training you to feed them when they meow in your face.
hellokitty
Aug 28th new
(quote) Thomas-969180 said: Be careful.
It sounds like they're already training you to feed them when they meow in your face.

What is amiss about the cat training the human? wave
Aug 28th new

Cats are carnivorous; they eat meat, and so a little bit of pork won't hurt them at all.

Animals don't exactly have a checklist of specific kinds of foods that they will or will not eat. Those that are carnivorous eat the meat of virtually any animal they can catch. Birds and rodents are typically ideal prey for cats in the wild, but they would eat a pig if they were big enough to hunt them.

The reason that dogs tend to beg is because they are omnivorous; their diet consists of virtually anything they can consume, and so they can digest a wider variety of foods. As long as your cats don't eat something like fruits or carbs (which they probably never would) you don't have to worry.

Aug 28th new
(quote) Carol-1007500 said: What is amiss about the cat training the human?
It could have catastrophic results. laughing
Aug 28th new
(quote) Thomas-969180 said: It could have catastrophic results.
Baaaaad, Thomas, very baaaaad!!!! hellokitty
Aug 28th new
(quote) Thomas-969180 said: It could have catastrophic results.
Not to caterwaul, but are you categorizing? smile
Aug 28th new
(quote) Nicholas-1102675 said:

Cats are carnivorous; they eat meat, and so a little bit of pork won't hurt them at all.

Animals don't exactly have a checklist of specific kinds of foods that they will or will not eat. Those that are carnivorous eat the meat of virtually any animal they can catch. Birds and rodents are typically ideal prey for cats in the wild, but they would eat a pig if they were big enough to hunt them.

The reason that dogs tend to beg is because they are omnivorous; their diet consists of virtually anything they can consume, and so they can digest a wider variety of foods. As long as your cats don't eat something like fruits or carbs (which they probably never would) you don't have to worry.

That is not entirely accurate.The begging has nothing to do with an omnivore or carnivore.As a matter of I have had my cats beg more than my dogs I had years ago, and the cats are begging fro meat naturally. While it is true that animals do not have a checklist. CATS AND DOGS have different nutritional requirements. If you feed a cat dog food, It will be malnourished. In the wild the animals know instinctively which food. You really should not give cats or dogs human food, except maybe a tiny treat. A kitten should have specific kitten food. I feed my cats dry food, A little wet food once in a while, the dry food has much more protein.I have had cats for 15 years and have learned a lot about them. I feed my cats Purina one, the really cheap cat food does not have the vitamins, minerals , nutritional supplements.and has more filler, Feeding them properly will give a much better chance of a long healthy life, One of cats is going on 15 and is extremely healthy
l
Posts 1 - 10 of 73