Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Apparently it's legal as long as that country is not fighting the US. I'm aware of the long history of Americans fighting in foreign armies including RAF pilots in WWII, but I contend that under no circumstances should American citizens, including dual citizens, fight for any foreign nation. If a man is willing to give his life for a country other than his own, he has made his first loyalty clear. The penalty should be the revocation of their American citizenship.
Just my humble two cents

Wait, let me put on my bullet-proof vest. Comments?

tinyurl.com
Aug 28th 2014 new
If memory serves, William Faulkner enlisted in the Canadian armed forces in World War One (Canada entered the war three years before the US did). I'm sure he didn't do it because his first loyalty was to Canada. I figure he wanted to take a poke at the Kaiser before the US was ready to do so, or because he wanted adventure; people enlist for all kinds of reasons. Faulkner went on to do his native country proud by winning the Nobel Prize for literature. You're not really sorry that he was allowed to remain an American citizen, are you?
Aug 28th 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: Apparently it's legal as long as that country is not fighting the US. I'm aware of the long history of Americans fighting in foreign armies including RAF pilots in WWII, but I contend that under no circumstances should American citizens, including dual citizens, fight for any foreign nation. If a man is willing to give his life for a country other than his own, he has made his first loyalty clear. The penalty should be the revocation of their American citizenship.
Just my humble

http://tinyurl.com/lbb9bud
Sometimes it is for money.
Aug 28th 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: Apparently it's legal as long as that country is not fighting the US. I'm aware of the long history of Americans fighting in foreign armies including RAF pilots in WWII, but I contend that under no circumstances should American citizens, including dual citizens, fight for any foreign nation. If a man is willing to give his life for a country other than his own, he has made his first loyalty clear. The penalty should be the revocation of their American citizenship.
Just my humble

I am curious as to what the Church's teaching on the subject is (how this would fit in with the teaching of Just War doctrine).

Simply looking for an adventure wouldn't cut it, I'm sure.

Aug 28th 2014 new
(quote) William-607613 said:

I am curious as to what the Church's teaching on the subject is (how this would fit in with the teaching of Just War doctrine).

Simply looking for an adventure wouldn't cut it, I'm sure.

I'm not so sure about that. Just War theory is mostly of concern to the people who decide whether or not to go to war and how the war is to be waged. I'm not sure it's incumbent on the individual soldier to refuse to serve in an unjust war. His obligation may be limited to refusing to carry out war crimes. The centurion in Matthew 8 may have enlisted for pay, or adventure, or because it was a tradition in his family, or because he believed he was better at soldiering than he would have been at blacksmithing or schoolteaching. (Admittedly, just war theory had not been formulated by that time, but I don't believe the Church ever taught soldiers to resign or become conscientious objectors en masse, even though Catholics have, like others, certainly fought in unjust wars).I'd be interested to hear others here weigh in on this.
Aug 28th 2014 new
Just my humble

Well at the very least, it should not be legal for Americans to fight for other countries, armed forces, or groups that may be at all hostile to the U.S.

For the particular cases of the Americans going off to fight for ISIS and other terrorist groups, they need to be arrested and detained and passports permanently revoked as soon that they can be tracked down. Once it is proven (that they are affiliated with ISIS), then I think there must be found some way to permanently revoke their U.S. citizenship and lock them up forever (assuming that they are not first shot for treason). They should become a man/woman without a country.

Years ago, when I worked (as an engineer) for Varian Associates, we designed and manufactured all sorts of radar systems that are used largely on military aircraft and ships for the U.S. and numerous foreign governments. There was a stack of U.S. government documentation for every single radar system sold to foreign countries to ensure that those governments were friendly to the U.S. (e.g. Britain, Japan, France, Canada, etc.) and that there was trace-ability to ensure that the radar systems did not flow through semi-friendly countries to hostile countries (like Iran, North Korea, Libya, Syria, etc., etc.). There should be no less documentation and tracking for U.S. citizens that decide to associate with our enemies.

I imagine that governments of Canada, Britain, France, etc. would want to act similarly..... But Britain and France really can't seem to get their arms around this disaster-in-the-making.

Ed

Aug 28th 2014 new
Just my humble

This seems a just bit analogous to the Olympics... Yes, the Olympics.

What is with those Americans that enjoy all the benefits of the U.S., live here, train here, vote here, raise their families here.... and then compete under the flag of their (often) native country at the Olympics! Although I am of German ancestry, it wouldn't even cross my mind to enter the Olympics under the German flag. One would think that they could pick a country and then stick with it through thick and thin. I realize that they may have a better chance of qualifying for the Jamaican ski team than the U.S. ski team, but really shouldn't they just be loyal to their country of citizenship (where they live and work). I think that duel-citizenship (especially with the U.S. and another country) should not be allowed for U.S. citizens. This would probably help (a bit) to resolve some of the immigration problems too. Make a choice and stick with it.

Luke 16:13 - No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other.....

I'm not certain how this advances the conversation, but I think that it may. scratchchin

Ed

Aug 29th 2014 new
Hi Peter,

Seems like a kinda wide loop to include ALL circumstances. POTUS FDR created the AVG ( Flying Tigers ), and greenlighted the fast track recruiters.
Aug 29th 2014 new
(quote) ED-20630 said:  
Luke 16:13 - No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other.....

Unless you're a valet to a pair of conjoined twins with one set of vital organs.
Aug 29th 2014 new
(quote) Bernie-645443 said: Hi Peter,

Seems like a kinda wide loop to include ALL circumstances. POTUS FDR created the AVG ( Flying Tigers ), and greenlighted the fast track recruiters.
Yeah, I guess I did cast a wide net. I'm just offended by some who are currently fighting for foreign countries. Obviously the disaffected youth fighting with ISIS is the extreme. An American recently was killed fighting for Ukraine against the Russian Separatists. The following article goes a bit into the history of Americans fighting for foreign countries, some having dual citizenship:
tinyurl.com
Posts 1 - 10 of 52