Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Men and Hair coloring.

Aug 30th 2014 new
Many women color their hair, and most people are fine with that; but how about men?
What do the ladies in particular think of men coloring their hair?

In response to genetics passed down the maternal line, I went suddenly gray at about 34. A few years ago, I did my hair for Halloween, and many of my friends told me they liked it, and I should continue it, and so I did until it became too much to keep up with (I only use the semi-permanent to avoid the nasty chemicals in the dark, permanent pigments.) I think one - maybe two - of my pics shows me at that time. I used a color that matches my natural color which is still hanging on low in the back. I'm going to be "Deck Chief" working backstage on our up-coming production of "Man of La Mancha", and we somewhat jokingly talked about me coloring my hair again because otherwise it catches even the dim lighting of a near-blackout and GLOWS! So... thoughts?
Aug 30th 2014 new
Personal decision, David, but I say: No, no, no! You are a good lucking guy, keep your natural look. Premature gray has not hurt Anderson Cooper. And the list of Hollywood hunks NOT coloring their gray hair include: Richard Gere, George Clooney, John Slattery, Ted Danson, Dermot Mulrooney, and my fav, Mark Harmon. two cents

Aug 30th 2014 new
I think the natural salt-and-pepper look is almost always to be preferred---even if the head if seasoned with considerably more salt than pepper! smile

And not to burst your bubble, Carol---but I'm pretty sure Ted Danson wears a toupee. laughing
Aug 30th 2014 new
(quote) Russ-959222 said:

And not to burst your bubble, Carol---but I'm pretty sure Ted Danson wears a toupee.
But it is still is silvery gray, Russ. smile Toupees and hair weaves are another discussion. muted
Aug 30th 2014 new
I just had to chime in here...Men, don't dye your hair. And if you are balding, don't wear a toupee. The most attractive quality a man can have is to not give a hoot what anyone thinks about how he looks. Natural (yet groomed) is always best when it comes to a man.

That kind of personal self confidence (that says, "this is who I am-take it or leave it, I am confident in who I am") does more to make a man look great than any dye can ever do.

I can't tell you how unmasculine I feel it is when a guy dyes his hair. And you can always tell when a man dyes his hair, because unless he is really foofy about it, and goes to a high end salon every three weeks to get a really good dye job (that has highlights and low lights and costs 300 dollars, like women do!, which by the way no man with any sense or financial savvy would ever do) he just uses grocery store "just for men" flat, single tone color, which is almost always too dark, and you can always tell. And then that brings up the image of him all slathered up with the dye, sitting around for 20 minutes, watching college football while it processes.... Ugh ugh ugh....

I myself happen to have a real weakness for silvery gray hair, but even if I didn't, all the above still applies.

I literally stand on public transit every day, and go "bad dye job, ....bad dye job...bad dye job" as I look at everyone on the train (men and women, but especially men).

So, you have tripped a wire here with me --Tell us, Patricia, what do you really think? soapbox laughing

So, I can't say it more emphatically...be yourself, and don't dye your hair. You have earned your authority and gravitas, and this is what God has given you at this stage of life. Wear it proudly.

Aug 30th 2014 new
Not necessary for an every day thing, but stage crew or Halloween? Sure! Have some fun!
Aug 30th 2014 new
(quote) Carol-1007500 said: Personal decision, David, but I say: No, no, no! You are a good lucking guy, keep your natural look. Premature gray has not hurt Anderson Cooper. And the list of Hollywood hunks NOT coloring their gray hair include: Richard Gere, George Clooney, John Slattery, Ted Danson, Dermot Mulrooney, and my fav, Mark Harmon.

Anderson Cooper is Gay BTW. scratchchin
Aug 30th 2014 new
(quote) David-870960 said: Many women color their hair, and most people are fine with that; but how about men?
What do the ladies in particular think of men coloring their hair?

In response to genetics passed down the maternal line, I went suddenly gray at about 34. A few years ago, I did my hair for Halloween, and many of my friends told me they liked it, and I should continue it, and so I did until it became too much to keep up with (I only use the semi-permanent to avoid the nasty chemicals in the dark, permanent pigments.) I think one - maybe two - of my pics shows me at that time. I used a color that matches my natural color which is still hanging on low in the back. I'm going to be "Deck Chief" working backstage on our up-coming production of "Man of La Mancha", and we somewhat jokingly talked about me coloring my hair again because otherwise it catches even the dim lighting of a near-blackout and GLOWS! So... thoughts?
Please, do not color your hair! I like you (and your hair) the way you are presently. smile You look fabulous! Battling eyelashes thumbsup
Aug 30th 2014 new
I gather that some men dye their hair not out of vanity, but for business reasons - the corporate world favors a youthful appearance (at anything below CEO level, anyway); so middle-aged men seeking to get or switch jobs -- for the manly motive of supporting their families and so on -- may well feel pressure to dye their hair. I wouldn't call that unmanly. I would call the corporate mentality regarding youth unmanly.
Aug 30th 2014 new
What Pat said.

Also, I like when a man at least combs his hair once in a while, but I can't stand him fussing over his hair. For a while there, men were using hair spray also. I don't use hair spray, so that is just too much for me. I find a man to be most masculine when he doesn't try that hard with his appearance.

And, with my formative years spent in New England, nothing looks better to me than a lumberjack plaid shirt (hopefully flannel) and dungarees. Just had to get that in.

Besides, how could you even think about giving up glowing hair? That's unique! lol
Posts 1 - 10 of 105