Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion about CatholicMatch events or to plan a get-together or meet-up for offline activities such a dinners, ball games, concerts etc.

Saint Raphael is the patron saint of travelers.
Learn More: Saint Raphael

08/18/2010 new

(Quote) Brian-465776 said: Here, then, is a question for the administration:Can the get-togethers be set up in a calendar like ...
(Quote) Brian-465776 said:

Here, then, is a question for the administration:

Can the get-togethers be set up in a calendar like form so the rest of us can schedule time off?

--hide--

As a member, I think this is a great idea. It would require some web development (instead of just a "post", you would need a form that had start date, end date, registration deadline date, 80 character short description), but would be easier to scan.

Also would like the "mainly for CM'ers-only" restriction removed. In the past, there were forums for ANY events of interest to CM'ers. The goal is to match CM as useful as possible so people go there a lot, not to restrict to tiny numbers of CM's-only.

08/27/2010 new

(Quote) Brian-278516 said: This forum is for posting information about or trying to organize CM events. An event is considered a CM ev...
(Quote) Brian-278516 said:

This forum is for posting information about or trying to organize CM events. An event is considered a CM event if the primary purpose is to gather members from Catholic Match together. The event can be stand alone, where a schedule of activities are made or can be in conjunction with some exisiting activity like a festival, ballgame, conference etc.

If the event is overnight then it should be posted on the CM Get-Together page where more exposure can be given to it. Many members often check back to that page to see if there are any new events posted. Make sure you read the planning guide before submitting your event to the events page.

--hide--

04/04/2011 new

If you are interested in setting up a series of monthly single-day events, here is what the CM Central Florida group found worked best....

Pick a relatively consistent Saturday (we chose the closest Saturday to the middle of the month) so people can plan ahead.

Offer a three-part day: daytime kid-friendly activity; early dinner (no kids); Late Night (no kids)

Daytime activity ideas: ball games, 5/10/15K run for a benefit organization, aquarium, mini-golf, theme park, festivals (i.e. Renaissance Faire, Strawberry Festival, State Fair, etc.), beach park for cook-outs/picnic, performance, etc.

Dinner location tips: pick a place where you can easily converse - no blaring music. This is a kid-free part of the event so people can actually talk with one another. Choose a cuisine that covers the 'general public'. Steer clear of really pricey venues.

Late Night ideas: End the evening in casual night-time establishments - where you can have an alcoholic beverage if you wish, but it's not too awkward if you get a Coke instead. We chose City Walk, Channelside, Blue Martini @ Mall of Milennia, etc. Each of these locations is part of a larger complex that has several bars/restaurants/activities...most have outdoor seating areas which are perfect for attendees to unwind with a drink, enjoy some music and have easy conversations with other attendees. It may just be coincidence, but all of the dating (and marriage) relationships that spun out of these monthly events were from people that stayed thru to the end of the day.

By having a 3-part day:

1.) you address people with kids (it may be 'their' weekend to have the kids). Additionally, our single parents liked that they could involve their kids with this part so that when they decided to go out with someone later, it was "Mommy's going out with that nice man at the park that threw the ball with you...remember him?"
2.) It helps people that have to work days (they can attend the late night part) or people that work nights (they can enjoy the earlier parts)
3.) By separating the 'alcohol' portion, you can address the needs for any recovering alcoholics or those that are simply uncomfortable around alcohol. They can easily bow out graciously (I have to work tomorrow; church in the morning; the dog needs to be let out....) without having to announce their personal issues to the whole group.
4.) By having an actual sit-down dinner part, you can choose to sit next to someone you didn't get to talk with at the activity portion. OR, you can continue talking with someone you met at the activity portion that you'd like to talk more with. wink

One key component to these events is ROTATION! We rotated locations (between Tampa & Orlando) as well as organizers. We didn't want one or two organizers to put together ALL the events because:
1.) they'd get burned out
2.) we hope to find relationships of our own and cycle off of CM eventually! ...and don't want to leave a vacuum when we do.
3.) brings new ideas to the events - I may like aquariums, Joe might like ball games - the events should reflect ALL of the people involved in them.

I'm starting to put something together to get the Hampton Roads, VA members out from behind their computers that follows this general outline. Anyone in this area that is interested, please feel free to contact me directly. Myself and another member will begin sending out info and invites shortly for a 'get to know one another' dinner after Easter, so keep a look out for it! Bring on the SPRING AND SUMMER months!!!! surfing

Deborah goldfish

02/01/2012 new

I love these events; they sound like fun but why are they all centred in the US or am i wrong?

02/01/2012 new

(Quote) Lyl-799520 said: I love these events; they sound like fun but why are they all centred in the US or am i wrong? ...
(Quote) Lyl-799520 said:

I love these events; they sound like fun but why are they all centred in the US or am i wrong?

--hide--

Because they are organized by CM members, not by CM. So if you want an event close enough to you that you can attend you have to organize one.

02/01/2012 new

I think the most active members in organizing events tend to live in the states but there have been events in other countries. I would consider hosting a local event like a dinner or going to a local show. Sometimes if you want an event in your area you just have to organize it yourself.

02/01/2012 new

(Quote) John-260388 said: As a member, I think this is a great idea. It would require some web development...
(Quote) John-260388 said:

As a member, I think this is a great idea. It would require some web development (instead of just a "post", you would need a form that had start date, end date, registration deadline date, 80 character short description), but would be easier to scan.

Also would like the "mainly for CM'ers-only" restriction removed. In the past, there were forums for ANY events of interest to CM'ers. The goal is to match CM as useful as possible so people go there a lot, not to restrict to tiny numbers of CM's-only.

--hide--

I like the calendar idea, too. I've seen this used very effectively on city websites. You just fill in the blanks to add your information. At the city level, it required a quick check by someone to ensure appropriate content. Then when someone looked at the calendar, they could see what was happening any given. Very easy to use.

02/01/2012 new

(Quote) Karen-744085 said: (Quote) John-260388 said: As a member, I think this is a...
(Quote) Karen-744085 said:

Quote:
John-260388 said:

I like the calendar idea, too. I've seen this used very effectively on city websites. You just fill in the blanks to add your information. At the city level, it required a quick check by someone to ensure appropriate content. Then when someone looked at the calendar, they could see what was happening any given. Very easy to use.

--hide--

Just a thought: Could Admin add a box (check/ don't check) on the original Event submittal form to "Add this to the Official CM Event calendar" - then have the program attach the link to that particular event page if it is checked? Then the Offical CM Event Calendar would be instantly updated as each event is posted, with the title of the event listed in the correct calendar square. No need to have a date to delete the listing, it would be good to be able to refer back to dates of past events on old calendar months.

04/14/2012 new
I just posted an event, I hope I followed the rules?
Posts 11 - 19 of 19