Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share
Topics from forums which did not have at least 2 new topics per month for the past 6 months are archived here.

forgreaterglory.com

I am excited to see this movie, it is about the Cristero war in Mexico in the 1920's when Catholics fought for religious freedom and faced certain death for practicing their faith. Many priests, religious, and laity were executed by the state during the war.

One of my favorite saints of the Western Hemisphere was martyred during the war. He is Blessed Miguel Pro, find out more about him at :miguelproshrine.com

05/06/2012 new

(Quote) Mark-786743 said: forgreaterglory.com am excited to see this movie, it is about the Cristero war in...
(Quote) Mark-786743 said:

forgreaterglory.com

I am excited to see this movie, it is about the Cristero war in Mexico in the 1920's when Catholics fought for religious freedom and faced certain death for practicing their faith. Many priests, religious, and laity were executed by the state during the war.

One of my favorite saints of the Western Hemisphere was martyred during the war. He is Blessed Miguel Pro, find out more about him at //miguelproshrine.com/BL._M.html

--hide--

QUE VIVA CRISTO REY!

05/06/2012 new

I watched the trailer, Mark, but the release dates are obviously past. Do you know when it's really opening?

05/07/2012 new

(Quote) Mary-117586 said: I watched the trailer, Mark, but the release dates are obviously past. Do you know when it's r...
(Quote) Mary-117586 said:

I watched the trailer, Mark, but the release dates are obviously past. Do you know when it's really opening?

--hide--
It says June 1st.

06/11/2012 new

I have read a book about the Cristiada, as well as having been to the Cristiada museum in Guadalara, as well as reading a book on the new Mexican saints, visiting the church of one of the martyrs, etc. Jalisco state is one of the centers of the Cristiada.

The well known book "The Power and the Glory" by Graham Greene also relates to that era, although more related to persecution than the armed struggle.

This is a part of Mexican history not taught in Mexican schools. I don't think that they are very proud of it.

Obviously I will see the movie.

The slogan of the Cristiada was "Viva Cristo Rey", long live Christ the king. At some level I align with that slogan, at another level I shrink from the violence involved in the Cristiada.

The anti-clerical laws were very strict up until the 1990s. I remember one Christmas in Mexico joining a procession around the church; I am 99% sure that was technically illegal at the time.

Richard

06/12/2012 new

I have seen the movie "For Greater Glory". It opened in theaters on June 1. Check the internet for the movie theaters in your area. Now we all see how important it is to fight for our religious freedom. You give the government an inch they take a mile. It is important to have a small government and not a large government. Do not rely on the government for anything--be self sufficient. We all see what is going on with our religious freedom in the United States, especially with the HHS Mandate--this is serious.

06/12/2012 new

I so hope to see this movie!! Google Fandangoon the internet, it will give you a box to enter your zip code and will give you the dates, times and movie theater nearest you where the movie For Greater Glory is to show or is showing. I wish everyone could see this wonderful movie. The threat of future religious freedom can be repeated if we don't remember history. The Mexican government thought they could better control its citizens if the Catholic Church was done away with and out of their way. The citizens did not want to lose their religious freedom, it ecellerated into violence. I pray we do not face violence here in America, but our religious freedom has already been threatened.
God bless our native land. Amen +

06/13/2012 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-198 said: (Quote) Mark-786743 said: forgreaterglory.com am excite...
(Quote) Jacqueline-198 said:

Quote:
Mark-786743 said:

forgreaterglory.com

One of my favorite saints of the Western Hemisphere was martyred during the war. He is Blessed Miguel Pro, find out more about him at //miguelproshrine.com/BL._M.html

QUE VIVA CRISTO REY!

--hide--

Beautiful, inspiring famous last words of el Padre Miguel Pro. theheart

Pray for us Fr. Pro! Praying

06/13/2012 new

It is in selected theaters. People who have seen it reccommend it. Thanks Mark.

06/15/2012 new

Not only does this story involve the passion and strength of a Catholic stronghold but as the center of a political wave that infiltrated the Mexican government: Communism. The Russian's worked hard during this time to rid of the Catholic church and to bring on atheist theory. And on the other hand, the US government assisted in arms against the Catholic Christians. This is startling.

We always need to examine topics carefully when government officials are involved in "religion" as many Christians still believe in the separation of Church and State. Its understood if the sector is brought to the forefront when it is/has endangered many lives, but not when it merely wants to continue practicing its beliefs for the good of society, as in this case.

Posts 1 - 10 of 16