Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

I posted the following on another Catholic site and was wondering if any of you fine folks had some advice as well. I was able to find this article based on a recommendation by Dr. Ray Guarendi: sexrespect.com and have also am in the process of reading "The Truth and Meaning of Human Sexuality" from the Pontifical Council for the Family. Any resources/advice would be most appreciated.

(Quote) I am the single father of 5 beautiful little girls. The oldest is 10 and I was shocked over the weekend to see the beginnings of some... cha...
(Quote) I am the single father of 5 beautiful little girls. The oldest is 10 and I was shocked over the weekend to see the beginnings of some... changes in her body. This then led me to the absolutely terrifying thought of having "the talk" with her.

I am a devout Catholic that does his best to adhere to ALL of the Churches teachings. I would like to incorporate some aspects of the Theology of the Body, but am having trouble finding source material for having the talk from a Catholic perspective.

The material that I have been able to find is geared towards teens and already assumes that the child is aware of the basic mechanics of sex and that sexual attraction "exists". I don't plan on giving this talk anytime soon, but my personality is to research, research, research, in order to prepare myself for a given situation. Thank you for any help you may provide.

Pax Christi,

Alfredo
--hide--

05/07/2012 new

Oh, and you'll have to click on the "quoted" section above to see my original post. Thanks again.

05/07/2012 new

I have two daughters .All good information helps! Thanks for the link and info. Alfredo! thumbsup

05/07/2012 new

I love Dr. Ray he's great!!! Thanks for the website info , alot of interesting topics....theheart God Bless you and your girls!!!hug

05/07/2012 new

Speaking from the perspective of a Mom with nine kids, six of those boys....You can never start talking too early. And, you should never tell them more than they want to know. They're very good at letting you know if you pay attention. With both the boys and the girls, just start talking...casual conversation is better than long detailed lectures. A general conversation about body changes....it's a rare 10 year old that hasn't realized that teenagers and adult women have certain attributes that little girls lack, for instance. Perfect time to talk about modesty. Just looke around and there's plenty of conversation starters.

05/09/2012 new

Hi Alfredo,

I am not a parent, but I do teach Jr. High religion! We use Theology of the Body as the bases of our family life program. I like this resource: thetheologyofthebody.com

It might be helpful.

:-)

Nancy

05/09/2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-838315 said: Hi Alfredo, I am not a parent, but I do teach Jr. High religion! We use Theology of th...
(Quote) Nancy-838315 said:

Hi Alfredo,

I am not a parent, but I do teach Jr. High religion! We use Theology of the Body as the bases of our family life program. I like this resource: thetheologyofthebody.com

It might be helpful.

:-)

Nancy

--hide--

im not a parent too but ive been bombarded with questions from married friends regarding this matter and il be giving short classes to 10-12 year old kids as part of my health lectures as a school physician so thanks much for the links!

05/10/2012 new

Thanks for the link. It is terrifying but I think kids gage what info. they are ready to learn..and in time you will be able to naturally speak with them about it. I have found this true thus far. but I will admit the unknown in scary. I love to research too and it does help to find something that serves as a guideline to talking about any delicate issue that we must educate our children about. As a parent we serve as an example to our kids and they learn everday just by listening and watching us. that in it self is the talk so to speak. the talk is a form of summary in a way to reconfirm and speak about all they have processed so far about what is accceptable. I don't know of any links but the theology of the body would be good place to start. God Bless!

05/10/2012 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: I have two daughters .All good information helps! Thanks for the link and info. Alfredo!
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

I have two daughters .All good information helps! Thanks for the link and info. Alfredo!

--hide--

You're quite welcome Bernard. Pray for me that I don't turn into a gelatinous goo and instead maintain my backbone during "the talk".

Pax Christi,

Alfredo

05/10/2012 new

(Quote) Jordie-610865 said: I love Dr. Ray he's great!!! Thanks for the website info , alot of interesting topics.... Go...
(Quote) Jordie-610865 said:

I love Dr. Ray he's great!!! Thanks for the website info , alot of interesting topics.... God Bless you and your girls!!!

--hide--

Hi Jordie,

Thank you for the blessings and my God bless you and yours.

Pax Christi,

Alfredo

Posts 1 - 10 of 15