Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

05/10/2012 new

(Quote) Laurie-523231 said: Speaking from the perspective of a Mom with nine kids, six of those boys....You can never start ...
(Quote) Laurie-523231 said:

Speaking from the perspective of a Mom with nine kids, six of those boys....You can never start talking too early. And, you should never tell them more than they want to know. They're very good at letting you know if you pay attention. With both the boys and the girls, just start talking...casual conversation is better than long detailed lectures. A general conversation about body changes....it's a rare 10 year old that hasn't realized that teenagers and adult women have certain attributes that little girls lack, for instance. Perfect time to talk about modesty. Just looke around and there's plenty of conversation starters.

--hide--

Hi Laurie,

Nine kids... awesome! Thank you for the advice. I've already had talks with all of them about modesty and appropriate dress and conduct. It's the next phase that has me a bit nervous :-) Thanks again.

Pax Christi,

Alfredo

05/10/2012 new

(Quote) Nancy-838315 said: Hi Alfredo, I am not a parent, but I do teach Jr. High religion! We use Theology of th...
(Quote) Nancy-838315 said:

Hi Alfredo,

I am not a parent, but I do teach Jr. High religion! We use Theology of the Body as the bases of our family life program. I like this resource: thetheologyofthebody.com

It might be helpful.

:-)

Nancy

--hide--

Hi Nancy,

Thanks for the link. I had come across this a while back, but it's geared toward a slightly older audience. May God bless you and guide you as you instruct your students.

Pax Christi,

Alfredo

05/10/2012 new

(Quote) Liza-158334 said: im not a parent too but ive been bombarded with questions from married friends regarding this matter and ...
(Quote) Liza-158334 said: im not a parent too but ive been bombarded with questions from married friends regarding this matter and il be giving short classes to 10-12 year old kids as part of my health lectures as a school physician so thanks much for the links!

--hide--

Hi Liza,

You are quite welcome. If you don't mind, please share with us what you put together for your classes. I think there are many people that could benefit from it.

Pax Christi,

Alfredo

05/10/2012 new

(Quote) Elizabeth-753085 said: Thanks for the link. It is terrifying but I think kids gage what info. they are ready to lear...
(Quote) Elizabeth-753085 said:

Thanks for the link. It is terrifying but I think kids gage what info. they are ready to learn..and in time you will be able to naturally speak with them about it. I have found this true thus far. but I will admit the unknown in scary. I love to research too and it does help to find something that serves as a guideline to talking about any delicate issue that we must educate our children about. As a parent we serve as an example to our kids and they learn everday just by listening and watching us. that in it self is the talk so to speak. the talk is a form of summary in a way to reconfirm and speak about all they have processed so far about what is accceptable. I don't know of any links but the theology of the body would be good place to start. God Bless!

--hide--

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful post and your point about serving as an example for our children is a good one. Unfortunately, there are certain aspects of femininity at which I thankfully make a very poor example ;-) It is in this area that I'm hoping to speak about the issues specific to a young lady, but as mentioned, am quite terrified at the prospect. Thank you again.

Pax Christi,

Alfredo

05/12/2012 new

www.amazon.com

I think this is better than TOB materials for preadolescents. TOB can kind of go over a lot of kids' heads.
I've also taught TOB for Teens at my parish. This book, by Dr. Popcak, is for parents.

We have so many resources today, that they didn't have when we were kids. My mom just tossed a book on my bed when I entered puberty.

Posts 11 - 15 of 15