Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share
Topics from forums which did not have at least 2 new topics per month for the past 6 months are archived here.
07/17/2012 new

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it,
but that it is too low and we reach it."
- Michelangelo

07/20/2012 new

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall...........Confucius

08/05/2012 new

No one can consider himself extraneous or indifferent to the lot of another member of the human family. No one can say that he is not responsible for the well being of his brother or sister.
We cannot stand idly by when thousands of human beings are dying of hunger. Nor can we remain indifferent when the rights of the human spirit are trampled on.
We must all work for a world in which no child will be deprived of peace and security, of a stable family life, of the right to grow up without fear and anxiety.
The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering. Living out this demanding commitment requires a total reversal of the alleged values which make people seek only their own good: power, pleasure, the unscrupulous accumulation of wealth. Yes it is precisely to this radical conversion the Christ's disciples are called.

theheart

Pope John Paul II - His Essential Wisdom
Social Justice

08/05/2012 new

Poverty doesn't only consist of being hungry for bread, but rather it is a tremendous hunger for human dignity. We need to love and to be somebody for someone else. This is where we make our mistake and shove people aside. Not only have we denied the poor a piece of bread, but by thinking they have no worth and leaving them abandoned in the streets, we have denied them the human dignity that is righfully theirs as a child of God. The world today is hungry not only bread but hungry to be wanted, to be loved. They're hungry to feel the presence of Christ. In many countries, people have everything except that presence, that understanding.
In every country there are the poor. On certain continents poverty is more spiritual than material, a poverty that consists of lonliness, discouragement, and the lack of meaning in life. I have also seen in Europe and America very poor people sleeping on newspapers or rags in the streets.. There are those kinds of poor in London, Madrid, and Rome. It is too easy simply to to talk or concern ourselves with the poor who are far away. It is much harder and perhaps more challenging to turn our attention and concern to the poor that live right next door to us. You in the West have the spiritually poorest of the poor much more than you have physically poor. Often among the rich are very spiritually poor people. I find it easy to give a plate of rice to a hungry person, to furnish a bed to a person who has no bed, but to console or to remove the bitterness, anger an lonliness that comes from being spiritually deprived, that takes a long time.
Dove

Mother Teresa.......No Greater Love

08/05/2012 new
My Life is But a Weaving - Making Sense of the Loose Ends of Life

"My Life is But a Weaving"

My life is but a weaving

Between the Lord and me

I do not choose the colors

He worketh steadily.

Oftimes he weaveth sorrow

And I in foolish pride

Forget he sees the upper

And I the underside.

The dark threads are as needful

In the Weavers skillful hand

As the threads of gold and silver

In the pattern He has planned.

Not till the loom is silent

And the shuttles cease to fly

Will God unroll the canvas

And explain the reason why.

- Author Unknown

rose
08/05/2012 new
Take heart your faith made you well. Mat 9:22 theheart
08/05/2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: My Life is But a Weaving - Making Sense of the Loose Ends of Life "My Life is But a Weaving...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: My Life is But a Weaving - Making Sense of the Loose Ends of Life

"My Life is But a Weaving"

My life is but a weaving

Between the Lord and me

I do not choose the colors

He worketh steadily.

Oftimes he weaveth sorrow

And I in foolish pride

Forget he sees the upper

And I the underside.

The dark threads are as needful

In the Weavers skillful hand

As the threads of gold and silver

In the pattern He has planned.

Not till the loom is silent

And the shuttles cease to fly

Will God unroll the canvas

And explain the reason why.

- Author Unknown

--hide--

Thank you for this poem Brenda. How often I forget this when nothing makes any sense and when I am discouraged.

Maxim of Padre Pio

"And in truth, given that the Lord can and is able to obtain good even from evil, for whom will He do this, if not for those who have given themselves to Him without reservation?"

"Consider the work of this great mercy: It converts our sins into good....Tell me therefore, what will He not do with our afflictions, with the troubles and persecutions that upset us? Therefore, if you ever happen to suffer for your afflictions, whatever they are, be certain that, if you love God with all your heart, everything will be converted to good. Even if at that moment you cannot understand where this good could come from, be more than ever sure without a doubt that it will come, without a doubt."

"Therefore do not be discouraged when you fall.......Your becoming discouraged and disheartened after the fall is the work of the enemy...You will not do this, therefore, because the grace of God is always vigilant in coming to your aid."

Romans 8:28: We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

theheart

Padre Pio's Words of Hope

08/16/2012 new

The Necessity of Trials

If everything had gone smoothly, just as you envisioned, wouldn't you have become very complacent? Would you really have depended on the Lord so much? Would you really have known that He's the one doing it all? You might think that you could have done without those setbacks and problems and persecutions--but you are wrong. You needed them.

The Temptation to Despair

Any temptation to despair is not of God, and you need to remember that the enemy wants you to despair. Know your enemy. He's not handing you roses, he's handing you hell. So be careful of any kind of despair. These temptations come directly from the liar, the enemy who was a liar from the beginning. He cannot give truth. He cannot give beauty. He can't give you anything that is good. He wants to take that good away from you. The only thing he can do to a human being to encourage him to despair--what a waste of time it is to listen to a liar. Listen to the Lord, pray for the grace to overcome the temptation, and keep moving.

theheart

Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons and Everyday Spirituality

08/16/2012 new
(Quote) Deborah-550454 said: The Necessity of TrialsIf everything had gon...
(Quote) Deborah-550454 said:

The Necessity of Trials

If everything had gone smoothly, just as you envisioned, wouldn't you have become very complacent? Would you really have depended on the Lord so much? Would you really have known that He's the one doing it all? You might think that you could have done without those setbacks and problems and persecutions--but you are wrong. You needed them.

The Temptation to Despair

Any temptation to despair is not of God, and you need to remember that the enemy wants you to despair. Know your enemy. He's not handing you roses, he's handing you hell. So be careful of any kind of despair. These temptations come directly from the liar, the enemy who was a liar from the beginning. He cannot give truth. He cannot give beauty. He can't give you anything that is good. He wants to take that good away from you. The only thing he can do to a human being to encourage him to despair--what a waste of time it is to listen to a liar. Listen to the Lord, pray for the grace to overcome the temptation, and keep moving.

Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons and Everyday Spirituality

--hide--

I spent a week at the guest house of EWTN and the monastary there in 1990 and it was such a place of peace and beauty. Mother Angelica is just the same in person as she is in her writings and on TV. Thanks for sharing.
08/16/2012 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: I spent a week at the guest house of EWTN and the monastary there in 1990 and it was such a plac...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

I spent a week at the guest house of EWTN and the monastary there in 1990 and it was such a place of peace and beauty. Mother Angelica is just the same in person as she is in her writings and on TV. Thanks for sharing.

--hide--

Oh! I wish I could go there someday. I have 4 or 5 of her more recent books and still watch Mother Angelica Live. I would love to meet her, but don't know if that is possible now that she is bedridden. She is one awesome lady.

Posts 161 - 170 of 192