Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Richard-831657 said: A prenup that you first saw 3 days before the wedding would typically be considered to be signe...
(Quote) Richard-831657 said:

A prenup that you first saw 3 days before the wedding would typically be considered to be signed under duress, and a good lawyer could invalidate it in court. Plenty of precedent there.

"A prenup could end up being useless if one of the spouses signs it against his or her will. Why? If that spouse contests the prenup, the court could void it.

"In order for the prenup to be valid, both parties need to enter into it freely and voluntarily," says Nihara Choudhri, author of "What to Do Before the I Do: The Modern Couple's Guide to Marriage, Money and Pre-nups."

That's one reason why the partners should start talking about a prenup well before their wedding day. "It's much better to have it done two months or a month before the wedding than two weeks or a week before," says Frederic Siegel, a divorce attorney with Fitzmaurice & Siegel in Stanford, Conn. "Then you eliminate the argument that one of the spouses was under duress or they didn't have time to consider it." In fact, he adds, these days some couples actually videotape the signing of the document, so if the prenup is challenged, there's evidence that both sides knew what they were doing."

Richard

--hide--
You are speaking about a Civil Law.The post is about what the end result in Canon Law of the Catholic Church would be.That is,an invalid Marriage.There are many couples that stay together and forfeit the Graces from the Sacrament, due to improper intention.Many may be ignorant that the Prenup is not permitted in the Church.I hope the Pre Cana classes bring this to the attention of the couples these days.

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: (Quote) Richard-831657 said: .I hope the Pre Cana classes...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Quote:
Richard-831657 said:

.I hope the Pre Cana classes bring this to the attention of the couples these days.

--hide--
PreCana classes are only as good and faithful as the people who are leading them.

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Sandra-202758 said: PreCana classes are only as good and faithful as the people who are leading them.
(Quote) Sandra-202758 said:

PreCana classes are only as good and faithful as the people who are leading them.

--hide--

A good point -- and apparently a significant problem in some places.

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: (Quote) Sandra-202758 said: PreCana classes are only as good and faithful a...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Quote:
Sandra-202758 said:

A good point -- and apparently a significant problem in some places.

--hide--
The Left Coast.

wave

Just enjoying my free posting week! cool

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-453870 said: eh......it was all just "stuff" anyway. He got it, I got peace. Think I ma...
(Quote) Linda-453870 said:

eh......it was all just "stuff" anyway. He got it, I got peace. Think I made out better.....

--hide--

Just out of curiosity, and not trying to be a smarty or anything, but why did you go ahead and marry him? Were you young? Was he wealthy/have family money?

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Just out of curiosity, and not trying to be a smarty or anything, but why did you go...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:

Just out of curiosity, and not trying to be a smarty or anything, but why did you go ahead and marry him? Were you young? Was he wealthy/have family money?

--hide--

Linda,

I re-read my own last post, and I realize that it may have read as if I was asking if you married your son's father because he was wealthy and/or had family money. That was not my intent. I was trying to decipher WHY, in a Catholic marriage, I am assuming that it was one, did he ask you to sign a pre-nup? Usually, if a pre-nup is involved, there would be one potential spouse who has significant family money invovled, and the other does not have a significant financial net worth. Shame on him! There is no excuse for asking for a pre-nup. Civil state laws protect inheritances anyway, and any assets one would go into a marriage with, remain one's own personal property.

I think that there are Catholics out there who really do not believe in the validity of a Sacramental Catholic marriage, or even the concept of a traditional marriage.

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Just out of curiosity, and not trying to be a smarty or anything, but why did you go...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:

--hide--

I loved him, had very little self esteem and did not know my own value. I do now.

Money never entered my mind, never has, never will. I was self sufficient then and I am now.

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: You are speaking about a Civil Law.The post is about what the end result in Canon Law of the Cath...

You are speaking about a Civil Law.The post is about what the end result in Canon Law of the Catholic Church would be.That is,an invalid Marriage.There are many couples that stay together and forfeit the Graces from the Sacrament, due to improper intention.Many may be ignorant that the Prenup is not permitted in the Church.I hope the Pre Cana classes bring this to the attention of the couples these days.

--hide--

Bernard

I vaguely recall the Precana classes, but don't think it was ever discussed. That was a lot of years ago though so the memory may not be working at top capacity!

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: You are speaking about a Civil Law.The post is about what the end result in Canon Law of the Cath...

--hide--

Bernard

I vaguely recall the Precana classes, but don't think it was ever discussed. That was a lot of years ago though so the memory may not be working at top capacity!

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-453870 said: Bernard I vaguely recall the Pre Cana classes, but don't think it was...
(Quote) Linda-453870 said:

Bernard

I vaguely recall the Pre Cana classes, but don't think it was ever discussed. That was a lot of years ago though so the memory may not be working at top capacity!

--hide--
I have been following this discussion on pre-nuptial agreements. I was married in 1977 and I sure don't recall them mentioned in Pre Cana classes or for that fact, any where else. Comments?? When did such an instrument become so mainstream in our society?

Posts 21 - 30 of 200