Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-453870 said: I loved him, had very little self esteem and did not know my own value. I do now.
(Quote) Linda-453870 said:

I loved him, had very little self esteem and did not know my own value. I do now.

Money never entered my mind, never has, never will. I was self sufficient then and I am now.

--hide--

Ah....... I am sorry.

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Teresa-525463 said: I have been following this discussion on pre-nuptial agreements. I was married in 1977 and I sur...
(Quote) Teresa-525463 said:

I have been following this discussion on pre-nuptial agreements. I was married in 1977 and I sure don't recall them mentioned in Pre Cana classes or for that fact, any where else. Comments?? When did such an instrument become so mainstream in our society?

--hide--

Well, you know the Catholic Church, not exactly with the mainstream......usually.

On this, like Private Benjamin, we Catholic women will have to practice: JUST SAY NO TO PRE-NUPTUAL AGREEMENTS! cloud

I guess this will have to go into our profiles too, whether we would sign one or not. Why waste precious time, tick tock, tick tock, on men who insist on having them.

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-453870 said: I loved him, had very little self esteem and did not know my own value. I do now.

I loved him, had very little self esteem and did not know my own value. I do now.

Money never entered my mind, never has, never will. I was self sufficient then and I am now.

--hide--

And Linda......................we have all done something similar to that............not having sufficient self-esteem.

Pride is one of the 7 deadly sins, yet must we be trampled upon by not-so-careful-with-others individuals?

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Linda, I re-read my own last post, and I realize that it may have read as if...
(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said:

Linda,

I re-read my own last post, and I realize that it may have read as if I was asking if you married your son's father because he was wealthy and/or had family money. That was not my intent. I was trying to decipher WHY, in a Catholic marriage, I am assuming that it was one, did he ask you to sign a pre-nup? Usually, if a pre-nup is involved, there would be one potential spouse who has significant family money invovled, and the other does not have a significant financial net worth. Shame on him! There is no excuse for asking for a pre-nup. Civil state laws protect inheritances anyway, and any assets one would go into a marriage with, remain one's own personal property.

I think that there are Catholics out there who really do not believe in the validity of a Sacramental Catholic marriage, or even the concept of a traditional marriage.

--hide--
Jacqueline

I was the only Catholic in the marriage, he claimed to be baptized in the Baptist church. That later turned out to be false.

Prenups are designed to protect the owners(spouses) of the business (marriage). Anyone see anything wrong with that statement?

05/12/2012 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: And Linda......................we have all done something similar to that..........

And Linda......................we have all done something similar to that............not having sufficient self-esteem.

Pride is one of the 7 deadly sins, yet must we be trampled upon by not-so-careful-with-others individuals?

--hide--
Gotta watch out for that pride one! It was pride that kept me from telling my family he had given me a prenup.

05/14/2012 new

(Quote) Linda-453870 said: Jacqueline I was the only Catholic in the marriage, he claimed to be baptized in the B...

Jacqueline

I was the only Catholic in the marriage, he claimed to be baptized in the Baptist church. That later turned out to be false.

Prenups are designed to protect the owners(spouses) of the business (marriage). Anyone see anything wrong with that statement?

--hide--

Have you by chance read and reflected on the Church's explanation of why prenuptial agreements that provide for the possibility of divorce render the marriage invalid?

05/15/2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: I would do a prenup if I was at risk of losing something. I have seen countless cases of people losing fa...
(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: I would do a prenup if I was at risk of losing something. I have seen countless cases of people losing family homes, businesses, etc because of no prenup.
--hide--
Unfortunately, that's a risk in marriage. Even without a separation or divorce, everything in material goods can be lost. We're seeing much of that now with the poor economic conditions.

If you review Bernard's post, you'll see the reason for not having a pre-nup agreement in order to be married in the Catholic Church. It presumes a view that the parties involved don't regard marriage as being permanent ('til death do us part). Matters materialistic take a back seat to matters spiritual. What's here is temporary -- all of it. Eternity is.....forever. Which one deserves the most attention?

05/15/2012 new

(Quote) Jacqueline-556574 said: Well, you know the Catholic Church, not exactly with the mainstream......usually.

Well, you know the Catholic Church, not exactly with the mainstream......usually.

On this, like Private Benjamin, we Catholic women will have to practice: JUST SAY NO TO PRE-NUPTUAL AGREEMENTS!

I guess this will have to go into our profiles too, whether we would sign one or not. Why waste precious time, tick tock, tick tock, on men who insist on having them.

--hide--
The Church wasn't designed to be mainstream. It is counter-cultural -- it doesn't change its teachings (which come from God to begin with) just because something becomes popular.

05/15/2012 new

(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: I would do a prenup if I was at risk of losing something. I have seen countless cases of people losing fa...
(Quote) Dawn-758914 said: I would do a prenup if I was at risk of losing something. I have seen countless cases of people losing family homes, businesses, etc because of no prenup.
--hide--
i would have to. i have too much at risk that took me too long to build up, and at age 42 i would rather not have to start over again.

05/15/2012 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Unfortunately, that's a risk in marriage. Even without a separation or divorce, everything in m...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

Unfortunately, that's a risk in marriage. Even without a separation or divorce, everything in material goods can be lost. We're seeing much of that now with the poor economic conditions.

If you review Bernard's post, you'll see the reason for not having a pre-nup agreement in order to be married in the Catholic Church. It presumes a view that the parties involved don't regard marriage as being permanent ('til death do us part). Matters materialistic take a back seat to matters spiritual. What's here is temporary -- all of it. Eternity is.....forever. Which one deserves the most attention?

--hide--
your view point and the churches is right but in the case of myself at 42 and being self employed in 2 businesses and land my land is my retirement fund for me to live on when i get past your age i will probably rent it out. plus i have other assets to take care of me later. i am not going to put myself at risk of bankruptcy or having to depend on others to get by. i guess if it comes to all this i will just remain single or be living in sin in your eyes and no i would never consider just shacking up with a woman.

Posts 31 - 40 of 200