Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

05/15/2012 new

OH! I come from a family of folks who have always stood by their teams. biggrin Dad was a Lions fan, Jeff and Dave, the Chiefs, Bill is a Rams fan. Like Hank Williams Jr. said in the song.....you can't stomp us out and you can't make us run..... laughing laughing

05/15/2012 new

I hope the Vikings can rebound and have a decent season.I'm glad that they did resolve the stadium issue... biggrin

05/15/2012 new

(Quote) Gerard-400247 said: I hope the Vikings can rebound and have a decent season.I'm glad that they did resolve the s...
(Quote) Gerard-400247 said:

I hope the Vikings can rebound and have a decent season.I'm glad that they did resolve the stadium issue...

--hide--

Gerard,

Glad to see you in the forums again.

I know I am in the minority on this issue but the taxpayers having to subsidize any of the costs for these stadiums and/or access roads appals me. I do realize the teams have to pay for part of it and usually pay annual fees for maintenance but overall considering their net worth is minute in comparison. It makes already very wealthy owners more wealthy and increases the value of their ownership. I know revenues from these stadiums bring much needed funds in the local economy but with that in mind, I have issues with taxes rising all the time.

In Texas and Houston in particular, our state and local government can't find funds to erect and repair schools, reduce funding to those schools including universities, repair streets, feed hungry children in the public schools, etc.

Since 2000, the Astros, Texans, Rockets and now the soccer team Dynamo have new stadiums. So, they have bond issues which are also taxes. However, you would be surprised how many people think this is money falling from the sky.

Gerard, sorry to add more to your thread than necessary. These new stadium palaces just bother me to no end.

As always, just my opinion.

If we are both around come September, I would enjoy doing the weekly picks again. I enjoyed that so much and you did a great job.

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

05/15/2012 new

Go Lions!

That is all.

wink

05/16/2012 new

(Quote) Alfredo-765787 said: I agree, though I'm still puzzled by their trade of Demeco Ryans to the Eagles. De...
(Quote) Alfredo-765787 said:

I agree, though I'm still puzzled by their trade of Demeco Ryans to the Eagles. Demeco was the heart and soul of that defense and is, in my opinion, a MUCH larger loss than Mario Williams.

--hide--
DeMeco Ryans was the captain of the Texans defense until 2010 when he tore his ACL. Thats when Brian Cushing took over. DeMeco wasn't a starting LB in 2011 when he came back from his injury. He was making too much money to be sitting on the bench and the Texans needed cap space. Brian Cushing is one of the best LB in the NFL now!

DeMeco Ryans is in the same division as Tony Romo and the Cowboys now. So LOOK OUT!

05/17/2012 new

(Quote) Leon-593843 said: Gerard,Glad to see you in the forums again.I know I am in the minority...
(Quote) Leon-593843 said:

Gerard,

I know I am in the minority on this issue but the taxpayers having to subsidize any of the costs for these stadiums and/or access roads appals me. I do realize the teams have to pay for part of it and usually pay annual fees for maintenance but overall considering their net worth is minute in comparison. It makes already very wealthy owners more wealthy and increases the value of their ownership. I know revenues from these stadiums bring much needed funds in the local economy but with that in mind, I have issues with taxes rising all the time.

In Texas and Houston in particular, our state and local government can't find funds to erect and repair schools, reduce funding to those schools including universities, repair streets, feed hungry children in the public schools, etc.

Since 2000, the Astros, Texans, Rockets and now the soccer team Dynamo have new stadiums. So, they have bond issues which are also taxes. However, you would be surprised how many people think this is money falling from the sky.

Gerard, sorry to add more to your thread than necessary. These new stadium palaces just bother me to no end.

If we are both around come September, I would enjoy doing the weekly picks again. I enjoyed that so much and you did a great job.

Blessings,

Leon

--hide--

Leon,

Thank you for the welcome;I was just lurking on the forums,due to a recent ,major break-up,with a CM woman.

You raise some very valid points.I agree with you,to a certain extent (the hungry chidren SHOULD be a top priority and the maintenance of roads and streets is important).

Unfortunately,revolving and updated stadiums,are a PRIORITY in the NFL.The only chance to host a Super Bowl is to have a modernized facility.This event brings a major boost to the local economy.

There have been numerous team relocations:the Dallas Texans became the Kansas City Chiefs,the Houston Oilers became the Tennesssee Titans,Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens,the Los Angeles Rams left for St.Louis,The Baltimore Colts left for Indianapolis,etc...While Dallas,Houston,and Cleveland were all awarded expansion teams,Los Angeles has not filled the void.

There appears to be a certain economic imbalance,in the league.It seems that the larger market teams are in the best financial position.

Minnesota has a history of losing teams(the Lakers and Northstars have left the state).The state legislature apparently doesn't do enough to keep the teams in the area.

I have been a Viking fan,since I was about ten years old(it has NOTHING to do with location).I honestly believe that they belong in Minnesota(although I have spent less than three days there,in my life).I remember watching their games,broadcast from the old Metropolitan Stadium,where they had a clear weather advantage.

I'm glad that they will be there for more than ,the next thirty-plus years.

You add a special joy to the picks segment and have proven to be a very knowlegeable guy..BTW... Vikings at Texans 12/23(May the best team win).

All the best... biggrin wave

05/18/2012 new

(Quote) Margaret-20183 said: Go Lions!That is all.
(Quote) Margaret-20183 said:

Go Lions!

That is all.

--hide--

Lion wave

05/18/2012 new

(Quote) Gerard-400247 said: (Quote) Leon-593843 said: Gerard,Glad to see you in t...
(Quote) Gerard-400247 said:

Quote:
Leon-593843 said:

Gerard,

Blessings,

Leon

Leon,

Thank you for the welcome;I was just lurking on the forums,due to a recent ,major break-up,with a CM woman.

You raise some very valid points.I agree with you,to a certain extent (the hungry chidren SHOULD be a top priority and the maintenance of roads and streets is important).

Unfortunately,revolving and updated stadiums,are a PRIORITY in the NFL.The only chance to host a Super Bowl is to have a modernized facility.This event brings a major boost to the local economy.

There have been numerous team relocations:the Dallas Texans became the Kansas City Chiefs,the Houston Oilers became the Tennesssee Titans,Cleveland Browns became the Baltimore Ravens,the Los Angeles Rams left for St.Louis,The Baltimore Colts left for Indianapolis,etc...While Dallas,Houston,and Cleveland were all awarded expansion teams,Los Angeles has not filled the void.

There appears to be a certain economic imbalance,in the league.It seems that the larger market teams are in the best financial position.

Minnesota has a history of losing teams(the Lakers and Northstars have left the state).The state legislature apparently doesn't do enough to keep the teams in the area.

I have been a Viking fan,since I was about ten years old(it has NOTHING to do with location).I honestly believe that they belong in Minnesota(although I have spent less than three days there,in my life).I remember watching their games,broadcast from the old Metropolitan Stadium,where they had a clear weather advantage.

I'm glad that they will be there for more than ,the next thirty-plus years.

You add a special joy to the picks segment and have proven to be a very knowlegeable guy..BTW... Vikings at Texans 12/23(May the best team win).

All the best...

--hide--

Gerard,

I am sorry to hear about your recent breakup. I know there will be others in your future. I pray it is so.

I agree with your assessment what a major league sports team can add to the city's economy. I would be interested knowing though what the net effect is after the city/county/state antes up their funds. If I am not mistaken, the new Cowboys stadium cost near $1 billion dollars as did the New Yankee stadium. In fact, both New York teams got new stadiums in baseball. I have no issues with new stadiums being built as long as the owners and stockholders of those teams bear the majority of the costs.

Once again, just my opinion.

That Viking - Texan game should be good in late season. By the way, both Texas teams will be playing on Thanksgiving Day. Texans at Lions in the early game and the Redskins vs. Cowboys in the afternoon game. I am sure you can already guess my picks in those games. laughing laughing

Great hearing from you again and thank you for the kind words.

Enjoy the summer.

Blessings, Praying hug rose

Leon

05/18/2012 new
Leon -- Texans vs. Lions on turkey day???? I foresee some trash talking between you and me. mischievous Eamus Leones!!!! Lion
05/18/2012 new

(Quote) Edward-4511 said:Leon -- Texans vs. Lions on turkey day???? I foresee some trash talking between you and me. Eamus Leones!!...
(Quote) Edward-4511 said:Leon -- Texans vs. Lions on turkey day???? I foresee some trash talking between you and me. Eamus Leones!!!!
--hide--

Edward,

Yes, that will be fun especially getting into November. The Lions quarterback, Matthew Stafford, played his high school football in Texas. He was rated one of the top high school QB's in the country during 2006 - even rated ahead of Tim Tebow. However, the Lions offensive line must get better. Stafford was sacked 36 times last year. Hard to complete a pass when you are on your back. laughing Linda from Michigan is also a huge Lions fan. It will be so unfortunate for both of you to suffer through a day of sadness. Your turkey dinner will probably not taste very good. laughing

There is one consolation about being perennial losers. You usually get high draft picks. laughing laughing

I just thought I would start our bantering a little early. laughing

Glad to hear you are out of the hospital. May God protect you now and always,

Blessings, Praying Praying Praying

Leon

Posts 11 - 20 of 71