Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

10/05/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) Lorrie-735074 said: Actually the issue has to do with my son. He&#...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Quote:
Lorrie-735074 said:

Actually the issue has to do with my son. He's gay and it's very hard for me to wrestle this out because I love him very much. I really struggle with issues like gay marriage and such and so I really have a hard time separating his lifestyle from him as a person. It's really hard for me to do.

Lorrie

there is no sin in being gay.

all people, married, single, heterosexual, or homosexual are called to chastity according to their state of life. sexuality is a great gift from God. it allows us to express our love for our spouse in the same intimate way that Christ loves our soul. but thia gift is limited to married couples and must even then be used in a certain way (deep love and mutual self-giving, open to the transmission of life, etc.). like any single person, somone who is homosexual sins when having sex. it's no different (well, perhaps more grave because it cannot lead to marriage and to the transmission of life.)

but the teachings of the Church are clear. it is not a sin to BE homosexual. we are called to love and respect all people - including those with that orientation. the sin lies in having sex outside of marriage and is somewhat aggravated by having it with a person of the same sex. the Catholic Chruch is not anti-gay. it simply upholds Christ's teachings that sexual love is reserved for married couples and marriage is reserved for one mand and one women - no other variations.

lots of people have given you sound advice to pray and study. when you pray ask God for willingness to understand and accept. once the willingness is given, then ask to understand and accept. above all love your dear son with all your heart. God has a son too and will help you with this.

may God assist you in this struggle.

--hide--

It is not a sin to be gay. So don't worry about that Lorrie. If there is more, just keep praying for your son. Lorrie, thank God it is not up to us to work these things out. We need to love. We need to love our gay and lesbian and transgendered and bisexual brothers and sisters and love them with the intensity that Christ loves them. theheart They need the love as much as anyone. May they begin to experience that love from us in the Church. We live in trying times and we need to love. theheart

10/18/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: It is not a sin to be gay. So don't worry about that Lorrie. If there is more, just k...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

It is not a sin to be gay. So don't worry about that Lorrie. If there is more, just keep praying for your son. Lorrie, thank God it is not up to us to work these things out. We need to love. We need to love our gay and lesbian and transgendered and bisexual brothers and sisters and love them with the intensity that Christ loves them. They need the love as much as anyone. May they begin to experience that love from us in the Church. We live in trying times and we need to love.

--hide--

Marian, I agree that there is no sin in having homosexual desires. However, there is sin in committing homosexual acts with full knowledge and consent of the will, as I'm sure others have said.

I take a big exception with your use of terms. Transgendered? really? Did God mess up so badly that he stuck a woman in a man's body and vice versa? I know not. Transgendered is not a valid label of a physical human condition. More often than not the term is used to label a person who has an overwhelming desire to be a member of the opposite sex. Well, that doesn't make the person either of ambiguous gender or opposite gender...it makes the person confused. It's not a real condition.

As far as to Lorrie, if your son sins in homosexual acts, I am very sorry for both you and him. It causes terrible scars on the human soul, but hey, that's what sin does. I can't look down on your son and claim I'm any better. I've sinned gravely many times... I can offer you encouragement to persevere in movement toward union with Our Lord, don't give up! The worst thing you could do for your son, though, is to pretend he's not sinning IF he is in homosexual acts. I've seen this "dilemna" with many parents of unwed mothers. They often think that they are not living up to their parental duties if they cut off these children who have illicit relations (the unwed mothers) until the unwed mothers repent, confess and do satisfaction for their sins. However, that is merely Christian duty to cut off relations at some point as laid out in the scriptures and tradition:

Matthew ch. 18 vs. 15-17

But if thy brother shall offend against thee, go, and rebuke him between thee and him alone. If he shall hear thee, thou shalt gain thy brother. And if he will not hear thee, take with thee one or two more: that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may stand. And if he will not hear them: tell the Church. And if he will not hear the Church, let him be to thee as the heathen and publican.

I Corinthians ch. 5 vs. 9-13

I wrote to you in an epistle, not to keep company with fornicators. I mean not with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or the extortioners, or the servers of idols; otherwise you must needs go out of this world. But now I have written to you, not to keep company, if any man that is named a brother, be a fornicator, or covetous, or a server of idols, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner: with such a one, not so much as to eat. For what have I to do to judge them that are without? Do not you judge them that are within? For them that are without, God will judge. Put away the evil one from among yourselves.

II Corinthians ch. 6 vs. 14-18

Bear not the yoke with unbelievers. For what participation hath justice with injustice? Or what fellowship hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? Or what part hath the faithful with the unbeliever? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God; as God saith: I will dwell in them, and walk among them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore, Go out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing: And I will receive you; and I will be a Father to you; and you shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

II Thessalonians ch. 3 vs. 6

And we charge you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother walking disorderly, and not according to the tradition which they have received of us.

II Thessalonians ch. 3 vs. 14-15

And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and do not keep company with him, that he may be ashamed: Yet do not esteem him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

Romans ch. 16 vs. 17-18

Now I beseech you, brethren, to mark them who make dissensions and offences contrary to the doctrine which you have learned, and avoid them. For they that are such, serve not Christ our Lord, but their own belly; and by pleasing speeches and good words, seduce the hearts of the innocent.

Galatians ch. 1 vs. 6-9

I wonder that you are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ, unto another gospel. Which is not another, only there are some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema. As we said before, so now I say again: If any one preach to you a gospel, besides that which you have received, let him be anathema.

2 John 1:9-11

Whosoever revolteth, and continueth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that continueth in the doctrine, the same hath both the Father and the Son. If any man come to you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into the house nor say to him, God speed you. For he that saith unto him, God speed you, communicateth with his wicked works.

My very best wishes for you, Lorrie. I hope you find what you seek in life.

Posts 41 - 42 of 42