Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

06/30/2012 new

(Quote) Claire-247015 said: what if they never repent and apply for an annullment is that grounds? Curious
(Quote) Claire-247015 said:

what if they never repent and apply for an annullment is that grounds? Curious

--hide--

Claire that is a great question but when question like these arise - one must remember that to be in a state of mortal grace that is between the soul and their priest because of what constitutes a "mortal" sin. If the couple has really been open during their marriage preparations and the priest includes everything in his report - after the marriage it will help the tribunal to see what the state of the couple was is when they took their vows.

One has to be careful when concluding someone is in the state of mortal sin, because no one knows the mind, heart and reasons of the action that would have lead to the "mortal" sin.

06/30/2012 new

(Quote) Stephanie-404903 said: If the bride and/or groom is/are in a state of mortal sin when the marriage vows/sacrament takes pla...
(Quote) Stephanie-404903 said: If the bride and/or groom is/are in a state of mortal sin when the marriage vows/sacrament takes place, is the marriage valid or invalid?
--hide--

Stephanie this is an excellent question and although you may get wonderful insight on this forum, I would also suggest asking a wise and educated priest on this matter. Because as I indicated in another post, no one knows if an act is a mortal sin, because in order to be in a state of mortal sin, the act has to deliberate and the state of their mind when the action was taken. This is not to obliterate mortal sin or to white wash it but rather to keep the Church's teachings is in regards to how one is in the state of mortal sin and judgment.

Everyone can give extremely informative responses, when it comes to sin and the nature of sin that is between the Catholic soul and their priest. As Christ states, only God is the one to judge, because his judgment is perfect as to the actions of why one made the decision they dd. That is not to obliterate confession or mortal sin but rather not to have people live in fear, that they are bad and that as a result of this fear keeps them away from the confessional. I do not know where my life would be if I did not go to confession on a regular basis. It helps me to address areas in my life that I need addressing, as well as gives me the strength to keep on going.

In light of someone getting married, this is an excellent question to bring up in your conferences with the priest directing you in your marriage. You may bring it up together or you yourself my privately ask this question.

If you are concerned about someone else, I would try to help the person seek the answer from a wise priest.

As St. Teresa of Avila stated to her nuns, when seeking a spiritual director, to seek one who is wise but not necessarily holy. Not to say that the wise priest is not holy but rather that some people are more educated and wise in matters than others and some people may be extremely holy but were not gifted with wisdom and discernment.

Posts 11 - 12 of 12