Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

I'd like to get a better concept of where the Catholic Church stands on tattoos.
It was always my understanding, growing up as a Catholic, attending CCD classes, that tattoos were not allowed. Has the church changed its rules in any way?

And if they are still not considered appropriate for a Catholic, is it because we are considered to be created in the image of God?

I'd like more clarity on this issue. scratchchin

05/30/2012 new

i don't know. jewish law prohibits them. not sure about catholic teachings on this topic.

been considering getting either the sacred heart or lamb of god tattoed over my heart.

05/30/2012 new

(Quote) Juli-369533 said: I'd like to get a better concept of where the Catholic Church stands on tattoos. It was al...
(Quote) Juli-369533 said:

I'd like to get a better concept of where the Catholic Church stands on tattoos.
It was always my understanding, growing up as a Catholic, attending CCD classes, that tattoos were not allowed. Has the church changed its rules in any way?

And if they are still not considered appropriate for a Catholic, is it because we are considered to be created in the image of God?

I'd like more clarity on this issue.

--hide--
Here is a pretty comprehensive approach to the topic at hand. It has supplied a concise commentary on the issue and after reviewing it, the material is solid.

www.cuf.org

05/31/2012 new

Juli - Great question!! I had several tattoos done when I was away from the church. No one see them unless I'm at the beach, but I did wonder.

David - I thought this was the case, being an Old Testament law. I just couldn't remember where it was.

Mark - Outstanding article. I know it answered my questions, and I'm not concerned if I were to run into someone from church at the beach. None of my three tattoos violate any of this!

Thanks everyone!

05/31/2012 new

Thanks, Mark. And cool tattoo ideas. I have a Celtic Cross with a Claddagh center on my left arm, but short sleeves cover it. Since it is religious and to indicate part of my heritage, I think its just fine. Even those who really hate tattoos (the guys I volunteer coach with, conservative Evangelicals) have no protest on the subject matter.

05/31/2012 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: i don't know. jewish law prohibits them. not sure about catholic teachings on this topic....
(Quote) David-364112 said:

i don't know. jewish law prohibits them. not sure about catholic teachings on this topic.

been considering getting either the sacred heart or lamb of god tattoed over my heart.

--hide--

I also have considered getting a tattoo for some time. I always thought it should represent my relationship with God, my faith and beliefs.

I have thought of a cross and some other images.

05/31/2012 new

(Quote) Mark-786743 said: Here is a pretty comprehensive approach to the topic at hand. It has supplied a concise commentary...
(Quote) Mark-786743 said:

Here is a pretty comprehensive approach to the topic at hand. It has supplied a concise commentary on the issue and after reviewing it, the material is solid.

www.cuf.org

--hide--

thank you for this link, Mark. It provides great insight on the matter of tattoos and piercings.

I have a friend who recently had some piercings done to the back of her neck. I would never have piercings done in that location of my body. She is not Catholic or Jewish. Nonetheless, I think that's straight out dangerous, near the spine.

05/31/2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: Juli - Great question!! I had several tattoos done when I was away from the church. No one se...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

Juli - Great question!! I had several tattoos done when I was away from the church. No one see them unless I'm at the beach, but I did wonder.

David - I thought this was the case, being an Old Testament law. I just couldn't remember where it was.

Mark - Outstanding article. I know it answered my questions, and I'm not concerned if I were to run into someone from church at the beach. None of my three tattoos violate any of this!

Thanks everyone!

--hide--

AnnMarie, I've mulled over the idea of getting a tattoo for some time, well over 10 years.

As for society and their thoughts on the matter, one cannot change the negative attitudes and judgements of some.
For some, they believe a certain subculture exists for anyone who wears a tattoo, piercing. I have come across the same judgemental attitude when people find out I have friends who ride motorcycles.

I base who I'm friends with, who I date on character of the person, not what they drive or whether they have tattoos/piercings or not.

Once I defended my choice to purchase a temporary tattoo while on a CM date.

In another instance, on a CM date, I felt the need to defend my friends who rode motorcycles. My date never met them, yet somehow concluded that because they rode motorcycles he knew what they were like, generalizing all bikers into one category. He was not complimentary.

05/31/2012 new

(Quote) Lynn-189934 said: Thanks, Mark. And cool tattoo ideas. I have a Celtic Cross with a Claddagh center on my left arm, ...
(Quote) Lynn-189934 said:

Thanks, Mark. And cool tattoo ideas. I have a Celtic Cross with a Claddagh center on my left arm, but short sleeves cover it. Since it is religious and to indicate part of my heritage, I think its just fine. Even those who really hate tattoos (the guys I volunteer coach with, conservative Evangelicals) have no protest on the subject matter.

--hide--

In my mid-late twenties I attended an Irish Catholic Church. Celtic Crosses were everywhere. I often thought of getting a Celtic Cross. They are unique, even if I'm not Irish!

05/31/2012 new

(Quote) Juli-369533 said: AnnMarie, I've mulled over the idea of getting a tattoo for some time, well over 10 years....
(Quote) Juli-369533 said:

AnnMarie, I've mulled over the idea of getting a tattoo for some time, well over 10 years.

As for society and their thoughts on the matter, one cannot change the negative attitudes and judgements of some.
For some, they believe a certain subculture exists for anyone who wears a tattoo, piercing. I have come across the same judgemental attitude when people find out I have friends who ride motorcycles.

I base who I'm friends with, who I date on character of the person, not what they drive or whether they have tattoos/piercings or not.

Once I defended my choice to purchase a temporary tattoo while on a CM date.

In another instance, on a CM date, I felt the need to defend my friends who rode motorcycles. My date never met them, yet somehow concluded that because they rode motorcycles he knew what they were like, generalizing all bikers into one category. He was not complimentary.

--hide--

Too funny Juli. No, not really funny, more .... disturbing. I know the feeling though. I make it very clear that I come from a biker family. Only one road under colors, but many ride all the time. It's what I know, and bikers are just like everyone else; good, bad and indifferent. Glad to know that I'm not alone though.

Word of caution on the tattoo, and you probably already have been told, but I'll do it again! Tattoos are VERY addicting. To see a person with only one is very, very rare. Just keep it in the back of your head. I had a vision of my back before I started it at all.

Brightest blessings,
Anne Marie

Posts 1 - 10 of 56