Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

06/19/2012 new

(Quote) Helen-407474 said: So, is this Chaco Canyon in Texas? Maybe on the Gulf Coast? Might have to google that. I haven&#...
(Quote) Helen-407474 said:

So, is this Chaco Canyon in Texas? Maybe on the Gulf Coast? Might have to google that. I haven't been to Texas in a while and even then didn't make it that far south, I was mostly in Lubbock and spent a little time in Dallas. Have you ever camped in Big Bend?

So which campgrounds did you stay at in Missouri? Missouri is beautiful and yes, they can get some good downpours....at least you got a free car and camper wash out of it.

--hide--

Chaco is in the four corners area, New Mexico. This was a very important place in the southwest, about 1000 years ago. Mesa Verde was a little later than Chaco, but there was some overlap.

I can't remember what campgrounds I have seen in Missouri. I know that I have been to quite a few.

06/19/2012 new

Hmmmm....that sounds interesting, Richard....I will have to google that and read a bit more.

You should consider the CM Indy Farm Outing...the area is particularly beautiful in October (and such a fun bunch of people). :)

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Helen-407474 said: There is another National Park or National Lakeshore on the UP that has a a residency program an...
(Quote) Helen-407474 said:

There is another National Park or National Lakeshore on the UP that has a a residency program and I can't think of the name right now...begins with a P???

--hide--

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore! I took a sunset cruise from Munising to view some of the sites and it was really cool. However, that's when it started to get cold and rainy and when I started to get sick! Oh well, it makes a good story. smile While getting off the boat one person noticed that I had stay on the top deck when it got rainy rather than below, and I told him I usually do one stupid thing on each of my vacations! laughing

Last night I remembered I camped at the Weather Station campground on South Manitou island, which is a part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Those sites are secluded and on a cliff above the lakeshore. I really need to get back there, because my first trip ended up with me almost getting lost and walking through a field full of briars and poison ivy. But again, it makes a great story!!

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Margaret-20183 said: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore! I took a sunset cruise from Munising to view some o...
(Quote) Margaret-20183 said:

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore! I took a sunset cruise from Munising to view some of the sites and it was really cool. However, that's when it started to get cold and rainy and when I started to get sick! Oh well, it makes a good story. While getting off the boat one person noticed that I had stay on the top deck when it got rainy rather than below, and I told him I usually do one stupid thing on each of my vacations!

Last night I remembered I camped at the Weather Station campground on South Manitou island, which is a part of the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Those sites are secluded and on a cliff above the lakeshore. I really need to get back there, because my first trip ended up with me almost getting lost and walking through a field full of briars and poison ivy. But again, it makes a great story!!

--hide--
Sorry to hear that you were sick...at least you can laugh about it now. smile

A little rain doesn't bother me, actually I rather like a bit....I told someone that while I like mostly dry, pleasant weather I do like a soft rain during the night...I like waking up to the dim light of early morning coming through and the sound of the rain drops hitting the tent. cloud

That is the place I was trying to recall...Pictured Rocks...they participate in the National Parks Artist-in-Residence Program; Visual artists, writers, musicians, poets can all apply...not all of the parks participate and the particulars of them vary but I definitely recommend it. Just go to the National Parks website and click on Volunteers and then click on artist-in-residence. Over the years I applied to four parks and was chosen for two of those parks (Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and Hot Springs National Park - the former put me up in a house on Lake Michigan and the latter put me up in an old ranger's lodge built in the 30's by the Conservation Corp)...haven't applied for a while so might be due to try again.

Of course any artist and anyone else for that matter, is welcome to the CM Indy Farm OUting...check out the Events Page...it is a lot of fun with a great bunch of people!! biggrin

07/12/2012 new

Among other camping trips, did 12 days' camping and backpacking on the Appalachian Trail, starting at the Southern Terminus atop Springer Mountain in Georgia, hiking our way northward to Fontana Dam in Tennessee. The camping and scenery were GREAT, but spare me the backpacking -- just wasn't properly prepared for that.

When in grade and high school, I belonged to Girl Scouts, and my troop was the "campingest" troop at my school ... by the time we reached Senior Scouts, we ended up with just six girls with our troop leader, making it really easy to pick up and go camping very frequently ... there are several Girl Scout Camps in the northeastern Ohio area (from where I come), which were very well kept, but we girls had a detail to act on with every camping trip -- to leave the camp sight better and cleaner than how we found it. Learned a lot, not only about God's beautiful creation -- the Great Outdoors -- but also about music, cooking, sports, first aid ... all kinds of things!

Such a great experience. heart

07/13/2012 new
I grew up hiking and camping all over ID , OR, WA, and CO. I, too, belonged to the Girl Scouts and I was the Science Club secretary for two years. We hiked Craters of the Moon and the Helles Canyon. I just love being outside. My favorite place to canoe wasMcCall Lake in ID.
08/02/2012 new
I enjoy camping, though Ive only done it between May-October, I havent ventured into winter camping yet.

I love hiking in the White Mountains of NH. We have a "list" of sorts called the "4,000 Footers", which are 48 mountains in the Whites whose summits are above 4,000 feet elevation. To the people of the midwest these mountains probably dont sound too tough, but the trailheads start anywhere between 500-2000' elevation, and the trails typically dont switchback, which makes them pretty steep and rugged. To date I have hiked 40 of them and weather-dependant I will finish the list on Aug 18. Im so pumped!!!
08/23/2012 new

Wolf Whistle LAST chance for anyone interested in coming to the Indy Fall Farm Camp Out!!

See the event page for all details and to print out your registration forms. The deadline HAS PASSED (officially).....BUT if you get in touch (comment on event page or private message me) to tell me your form and activity fee are going in the mail this weekend, I can still get you in.

hyper Check the Forum Meet Ups thread too - we're up to about 40 attendees from 9 different states!

Come enjoy the beautiful fall colors in Indiana - we have hiking, shooting, zip line, bonfires, yard games, etc. Don't miss the fun! hug

Posts 61 - 68 of 68