Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

06/18/2012 new

(Quote) Joan-529855 said: BTW, I like the SKYPE idea! But it won't solve the "men who claim to be 6 foot tall"...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said:

BTW, I like the SKYPE idea! But it won't solve the "men who claim to be 6 foot tall" problem.

--hide--

Ever hear of tape measures..? crossfingers

06/18/2012 new
(Quote) Joseph-669930 said: Ever hear of tape measures..?
(Quote) Joseph-669930 said:

Ever hear of tape measures..?

--hide--

Funny you should mention that--saw this yesterday: newtrendsinmusic.tumblr.com
06/18/2012 new

My brother read the Hardy Boys books. We had a bunch of those as well as the Nancy Drews.

06/18/2012 new
(Quote) Joan-529855 said: I wasn't going to respond to this topic, but since you brought up the "height" issue I felt it...
(Quote) Joan-529855 said:

I wasn't going to respond to this topic, but since you brought up the "height" issue I felt it would be good to post my experience. If you take the time to check out my profile you will see I am "friends only"(annulment has not yet been granted) status. BTW, so is the OP, Keith. A local gentleman contacted me on CM and asked to meet for coffee because he said we have so much in common (both second career SPED teachers). I thought a friendly cup of coffee would be fine. I didn't even notice on his profile how tall he was. I showed up for coffee and he is already there, sitting down. He seemed unusually uncomfortable and he wouldn't stand up, until I was getting ready to leave. When he stood up, he was like 2 inches shorter than me!! When I got home I checked out his height on his profile and he said he was 2 inches taller than me. How awkward is THAT!! Lesson learned: no more "meeting for coffee" until AFTER my annulment is granted.

BTW, photos can be VERY deceiving. I was a professional digital photographer for many years and the things that can be done with photoshop are AMAZING. I could easily drop 20 to 30 lbs off of a person in a photo, as well as 10 years. All of those People magazine covers of movie stars are photoshopped (you didn't REALLY think Jennifer Anniston at the age of 41 looks like she is 26, did you). That is why it was such a big deal when a photo of Jamie Lee Curtis (at the age of 50) was put on People magazine, completely UNTOUCHED.

That being said, I feel the OP is WAY too concerned with the personal appearance of his date. Men in general are visual creatures, but outward beauty is fleeting, and a woman's soul is more pressure than rubies.

Finally, please do not disrespect someone by suggesting that they are a psycho-chick. For all of the CM women: you might want to avoid the poster of this comment; he obviously does not respect women.

--hide--

You make many excellent points. First off, you mention digital enhancements like PhotoShop and completely on the market. I used to model back in my 20s and even then there were ways to make me look taller and thinner. I knew someone who worked with Playboy (their offices used to be in Chicago)and the Playmates often look much different in person. Now with computers it is easier for an average person to fix photos.

I also agree with you about the looks issue and that is something I see all the time with men online. Then many of them will say something like "women don't judge on looks". Actually we do, we just might be more open to dating men not our type. Men take that to mean "hey I'm unattractive and a slob but can get a hot woman because women don't judge". Nope wrong.

I'm glad to see someone mention annulments. While I do not have one being I am never married, the amount of divorced, not annulled men who contact me is disturbing. When I tell them as a practicting Catholic I can not date them I get comments like dare I judge. I've spoken to quite a few women on this site who are eligible to marry in the church and many of them have said these men contacting them here is upsetting. One of the guys even told me he has no intention of getting an annulment because he has no intention of remarrying. If I wanted a man like this I would seek them out on the secular sites because those sites are full of these men.
06/18/2012 new

(Quote) Mark-642218 said: run, grow a beard and change your identity!
(Quote) Mark-642218 said:

run, grow a beard and change your identity!

--hide--

laughing laughing "Run Forest Run"!

06/18/2012 new

(Quote) Cathy-564420 said: "Run Forest Run"!
(Quote) Cathy-564420 said:

"Run Forest Run"!

--hide--

laughing

06/19/2012 new

Keith, well said by John and Kathy, Run!!!!!!

06/19/2012 new

Keith,

I don't know every particular,but I think you handled it well. Someone else said, and I agree, that someone who thinks you hate women and need therapy and still wants to date you is probably way too much trouble.

06/19/2012 new

(Quote) Kathy-730470 said: ...the fastest way to lose a boy is to chase him. I think the same is true for a girl also. <...
(Quote) Kathy-730470 said:

...the fastest way to lose a boy is to chase him. I think the same is true for a girl also.

--hide--

Kathy, I need to disagree; the most profund need of the woman in a relationship is to know that the man is always there for her, and he proves it by chasing after her (in an appropriate way, of course!) And this shouldn't stop after they are married either!

06/19/2012 new

I think she let you know that she really liked you...(can't blame her for that), but you were clear that you are not interested.. I would leave it at that unless she continues to persue you...at which time, you should be very very blunt (but christian and nice) to stop her from persuing, leaving no room for her to think just maybe etc...I had someone show up that did not look like there picture...i was nice, but after the dinner i sent a message saying i didn't feel a connection...since then i will only talk so much before i must meet the person to confirm who they are...

(Quote) Dan-854185 said: (Quote) Keith-733524 said: Thanks, Keith You've alr...
(Quote) Dan-854185 said:
Quote:
Keith-733524 said:

Thanks,

Keith

You've already explained your problem with her honesty. And she says you hate women but sends a friend to try to get you to ask her out again? I'd just ignore her. No sense trying to keep being rational with her if she doesn't want to listen
--hide--

Posts 101 - 110 of 148