Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

06/17/2012 new

(Quote) Maureen-741455 said: I think having kids have to manage their own money is very important. I went through
(Quote) Maureen-741455 said: I think having kids have to manage their own money is very important. I went through Love and Logic training. It recommends that children hold " jobs" and get a payment . If one doesn't do the job then who ever does the job gets the pay.My daughter loves pay day when she get her paycheck (I deduct 1O% to cover living expenses). She often will pick up extra money by toung "over time". She has learned that a good garage sale will allow her to.spend less money to enhance her wardrobe. All children are expected to tithe and put money into their savings. Then the rest goes to their discretion. When we go to the movies as a family, they pay their way. Etc.

My son tends to "blow"his money. I'm trying to.have him make the connection at 13 but it is going slowly.
--hide--

Hi Maureen,

I must admit that I do not give a weekly allowance to my son, but I put money on his savings account on a biweekly basis. He could take it out, but I will notice immediately and would ask why...etc... The allowance thing was not something my parents used to do with us, that's why I just don't do it. What they did thought was give us the money we needed, when we requested it. e.g. going to the movies, restaurants, buyghing clothes, etc.

I might change that, since my son's friends have always pocket money at school, but I haven`t figure out how I'll do it yet.

The point here is to know if teens can manage the family budget, not only theirs. That implies providing them with all the information (income, expenses, etc). Some parents do not like that, so I was asking your opinions.

Could you explain what kinds of jobs your kids do so they are paid? Are they household chores? The only things I would agree children would be paid for are not regular chores, for example, washing the family car or painting the garage, or fixing something inside the house, but not for making their beds, or doing the dishes or laundry.

Thanks for your comments, I'll look up the training you took for more details.

Posts 11 - 11 of 11