Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: (Quote) Gerald-283546 said: (Quote) Marian-83994 said:...
(Quote) Marian-83994 said:

Quote:
Gerald-283546 said:

Quote:
Marian-83994 said:

Where is OB/San Diego? I did not know what OB stands for...

OB is Ocean Beach. It is a neighborhood of San Diego.

Those who live here are called Obecians. It is said that "OB is more than a place, it is a state of mind." Others say, "OB: where the trash meets the sea!" Their are OB T-shirts, car stickers, and we have many surf shops. At one time it was thought of as the Haight-Ashbury of San Diego, though now it is rising up from War Zone to lower middle class. We have a very long pier, some reasonable surf breaks, awesome sunsets, Nati's, Hodad's, and are under the takeoff path for Lindberg Field. If you ever are curious to find us, take Interstate 8 until your wheels get wet and you'll be there...that is physically. The State of Mind may take a bit longer. But, bring a cooler with ice, limes, tequila, cointreau and totilla chips down to the beach; play some wobbly beach volley ball; and about sunset you will begin to enter the Obecian State of Mind. People talk to each other here. You will have no problems making friends.

It sounds pretty close to heaven in many ways. Relaxing and a few things. The times I have been to SD I have not been able to figure out where I was, I doubt I ever have seen OB. I think I wanted to find a lace like that and I missed it. I will look at the map sometime and who knows- if I ever get time to get away ...then maybe...

I just started teaching today and It is wearing me out for now but God is good and this challenge is a wonderful step. I am so happy about it. I am teaching art at a high school for summer school and it is accelerated- meaning we only have 2 weeks of 6 hours first session and the same for second session. VERY BUSY.

BUT OB sounds like a neat hidden destination and worlds away from this dusty, dry central valley. I take it that is where you live... I will try to see it someday then. Does that make you sort of a "hippie?" since it used to be the Haight Ashbury district? or are you there as part of the UPGRADE?

--hide--

I guess I'm sort of an OB misfit. I don't meet the demographic since I've never done drugs and am not hippified. But, Obecians tend to accept everybody, except chain stores and fast food establishments which are resisted enthusiastically. Being a sailor alternating between work and adventure, perhaps I sort of qualify now, at least better than I did when a full time working professional. I consider it an honor that my neighbors have accepted me, despite my being straight and square.

Good luck in your new job!

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I lived in Santa Barbara for many years. When I saw San Diego during that time it appeared so bro...

I lived in Santa Barbara for many years. When I saw San Diego during that time it appeared so brown and not as lush as the coast up north. Especially what appeared to be La Jolla. I never got to the beach, though except when I got to Coronado for a Choral Conference and for another conference I went to which I cannot recall. How close is OB to Coronado?

--hide--

35 minutes from Sacred Heart OB to Sacred Heart Coronado. I know because I used to sing for Holly at Sacred Heart Coronado which has a wonderful choir. I did it because my Naval Academy roomate (known as your wife in Navy talk) was singing there and volunteered me as a tenor, which they were in need of at that time. Singing for Holly was a privilege. (He later married one of the members of the choir.) (Female members; this was pre-Obama!)

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: Hello All! Our temps reached 108 today. They should be lower tomorrow. What about where you a...

Hello All!
Our temps reached 108 today. They should be lower tomorrow. What about where you are?

--hide--

Well here in Michigan I found out that Hell Michigan was 92 degrees and we were 95 so technically speaking we were actually hotter than hell. Now that's pretty bad, wouldn't you say?

06/20/2012 new

Here in Trinidad & Tobago, we are expecting a tropical depression. Lots of thunder and lightening here today!

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: It sounds like perfect weather for romance! Do you think it is perfect weather for a Sout...

It sounds like perfect weather for romance! Do you think it is perfect weather for a Southern Carolina Romance?
It might even make a fun thread. People have done comedy and play threads in the humor room where they make up stories together, a group of characters and so on! I hope you have your parasol with you open during your spring walks...

--hide--

I can't see me with a parasol, but it really is perfect weather for strolling in the evening. It would be a good thread, sightseing in our own towns. Sometimes it's nice to remind ourselves of how much we have in our own back yard!

06/20/2012 new

It was 102 here on Sunday...........my cat just sleeps the heat away. Meet Rip Van Trample

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Marian-83994 said: I have not been in humidity and I bet that is what you have there. I wish I ...

I have not been in humidity and I bet that is what you have there. I wish I could know what that is like! Are you a new resident there? Where are you originally from?

--hide--

I'm originally from 12.5 miles away from where I currently live. wink We had an unusually hot stretch of weather in March (several days of temperatures in the 80s and 90s) which caused many plants to come out early and many fruit trees to bloom. Unfortunately, those fruit crops are a loss because of subsequent freezes. The weather has continued to be uncharacteristically mild and even hot, which causes everything to come out early. weeping

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Gerald-283546 said: 35 minutes from Sacred Heart OB to Sacred Heart Coronado. I know because I used to sing ...
(Quote) Gerald-283546 said:

35 minutes from Sacred Heart OB to Sacred Heart Coronado. I know because I used to sing for Holly at Sacred Heart Coronado which has a wonderful choir. I did it because my Naval Academy roomate (known as your wife in Navy talk) was singing there and volunteered me as a tenor, which they were in need of at that time. Singing for Holly was a privilege. (He later married one of the members of the choir.) (Female members; this was pre-Obama!)

--hide--

Thank you for sharing all of this. Are you originally from San Diego?
Thanks about the new job. It is temp till July 19th when summer session ends but it is a great oportunity! It is something I am in awe of that opened up to me after doing social work for 12 years and needing work now....

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Margaret-20183 said: I'm originally from 12.5 miles away from where I currently live. We had an unusual...
(Quote) Margaret-20183 said:

I'm originally from 12.5 miles away from where I currently live. We had an unusually hot stretch of weather in March (several days of temperatures in the 80s and 90s) which caused many plants to come out early and many fruit trees to bloom. Unfortunately, those fruit crops are a loss because of subsequent freezes. The weather has continued to be uncharacteristically mild and even hot, which causes everything to come out early.

--hide--

I think this year has been an early year. It feels like summer is being thrust upon us. Sunrise

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Deborah-550454 said: It was 102 here on Sunday...........my cat just sleeps the heat away. Meet Rip Van Tra...
(Quote) Deborah-550454 said:

It was 102 here on Sunday...........my cat just sleeps the heat away. Meet Rip Van Trample

--hide--

That is hot. For your area yes? hellokitty Tabitha, Sasha and Oreo say hi!
Tab is my real cat and the other two are outside add ons but not fully...mine..

Posts 41 - 50 of 116