Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

06/20/2012 new

See now I think a gentleman no matter what should pay, that is what a real gentleman does, if I were a man I would just never allow a woman to pay, just how I was raised.

06/20/2012 new

See now thats a gentleman, Ray you are, as well as John from Dickensen Texas, real gentelmen!! Hurrya for them!!!

06/20/2012 new

Yes,Yes, Yes, that's a great gentleman again, John!!! Good guy but of course.!!

06/20/2012 new

I don't believe women should ask men out on dates. A man has to value a woman enough to pursue her. He has to value her enough to take a risk. He has to value her enough to win her heart. It sets the foundation for the relationship.

Of course, as the relationship evolves and solidifies, there will be ample opportunity for the woman to initiate and reciprocate in various ways which includes paying for things, too. But in the very beginning, I believe the old school way is best.

06/20/2012 new

Pursue? Pursue a woman? This isn't a game I play. I'll be accpted for who I am as a human person and not made to perform like a buck in heat. Chivalry is fine, but I'm not into antiquated rites of courtship.

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Rachel-868336 said: This is a topic I've always been curious about and this seems like a pretty appropriate venu...
(Quote) Rachel-868336 said:

This is a topic I've always been curious about and this seems like a pretty appropriate venue for this question:

Men, how would you feel if a woman came up to you and asked you out (assuming she was clearly not crazy and was doing so politely)?

Would you be aggravated that you couldn't beat her to punch? Would you feel awkward if you weren't interested?

As for me, I have no problem asking a guy out. If I like someone and there are indications he likes me, I'll just be straightforward and ask him if he would like to go grab some coffee. I don't like prolonged flirting or waiting around for him (I don't play games, in other words). My first serious relationship actually started by me asking him out, so I know it does work. I now have a better appreciation when a guy has the courage to ask me out. I think since I've gone through it, I'm much more caring and gentle about turning him down if I'm not interested because I know how nervewracking it is :)

I'm just curious what you all might think. I've heard many contrasting theories.

I promise I won't judge! Please be honest.

--hide--

I'll chime in, as some of the other ladies have. I personally don't have any problem asking someone I know out. Several of my relationships have evolved from friendships where we attended multiple functions together. Sometimes they would ask, sometimes I would. There have been several functions I have not cared to attend alone, and let us be really honest, somethings are just more fun as a couple.

What has surprised me about this thread is how the answers have been playing out. The women my age are more old school - men should ask. The bulk of the older men don't seem to have an issue with it. The men in the mid 30s to mid 40s set (hush Brian - I'm agreeing with you...twice in one day..mark the calendar shhh ) seem to have the biggest issue with it.

No rights or wrongs here...just an interesting topic. Thanks Rachel!!

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) Brian-328251 said: Pursue? Pursue a woman? This isn't a game I play. I'll be accpted for who I am as a human...
(Quote) Brian-328251 said:

Pursue? Pursue a woman? This isn't a game I play. I'll be accpted for who I am as a human person and not made to perform like a buck in heat. Chivalry is fine, but I'm not into antiquated rites of courtship.

--hide--
Oh, come on, isn't that a wee bit of a stretch....

So, by saying that a woman should expect a man to ask her out on a date (vs the other way around)...you liken it to "an antiquated rite of courtship" and "game playing"! Lord have mercy. rolling eyes faint

Being you are soooo old fashioned and conservative about all your other ideas, I'm beginning to think you just wanted to stir the pot! Its getting cold!

06/20/2012 new

Men pursue political offices, sports championships, degrees, jobs, profit, better guitar tone and they do this because things are pursued, not people.

06/20/2012 new

(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said: I'll chime in, as some of the other ladies have. I personally don't have any ...
(Quote) AnneMarie-641597 said:

I'll chime in, as some of the other ladies have. I personally don't have any problem asking someone I know out. Several of my relationships have evolved from friendships where we attended multiple functions together. Sometimes they would ask, sometimes I would. There have been several functions I have not cared to attend alone, and let us be really honest, somethings are just more fun as a couple.

What has surprised me about this thread is how the answers have been playing out. The women my age are more old school - men should ask. The bulk of the older men don't seem to have an issue with it. The men in the mid 30s to mid 40s set (hush Brian - I'm agreeing with you...twice in one day..mark the calendar ) seem to have the biggest issue with it.

No rights or wrongs here...just an interesting topic. Thanks Rachel!!

--hide--
AnneMarie, I do think men love the fantasy of "being chased" by a woman. Men have told me so. shhh

However, Dan #656122 had some honest, valuable male insight/introspection. He said,

"How would I feel if a woman asked me out? I would be flattered, but at some point it would bother me, especially if we had previously met. Had we not met previously, then I'd feel better, but there would be some second guessing at some point.

Would you be aggravated you couldn't beat her to the punch? Yes. I would still go out on the date and be excited for the date, but it would encourage me to be more decisive in the future with her."

06/20/2012 new

Since men aren't mind readers, I have no problem telling them when I have some free time, or if I found a new restaurant or event that I'd like to try out! laughing wink

Posts 71 - 80 of 200